TH-900 Fostex EZ-Simple Mods and other Fostex Dynamic Variants X00...Denon..More Bass ? Mid ? Soundstage ? Smooth trebles ?
Mar 24, 2016 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 216

Whitigir

Member of the Trade: Portable Modder
This link for more specific guidelines for specific changes

http://www.head-fi.org/t/802704/th-900-fostex-ez-simple-mods-and-other-fostex-dynamic-variants-x00-denon-more-bass-mid-soundstage-smooth-trebles#post_12447940

I have found some very interesting ways to tweak and alternate the sonic performance of the TH900 in a nice way. Very simple, easy, and fun. Even though just like many things on the changes of high quality gears, the changes are minor, nuances details, but is definitely there......and therefore, please, do not confuse other people.

I was able to bring about these followings in general

1/ wider, deeper soundstage
2/ less shouty vocal
3/ toned down trebles spikes famous in the TH900
4/ deeper sub-bass more slam to mid-bass and bass
5/ better linearity in the lower mid spectrum, even more details in the lower mid, and also bring mid more forward

First things first. It involves 3 different mods: Pad mods (irreversible), foam discs placement, and cup chambers dampening.

Pad mods: trim around the pads to expose these lock holes more opened. Take out the pads, but leave it on the plastic plate, and then trim around but by bit using a good scissors......do it slow....Do Not Overtrim it...you will render the pads useless.

*** Basically, the pads mod will allow your TH-900 to "breathes" the way it supposed to be, and it brings about the improvements of more detailed lower-mid, and deeper bass with bigger bass slam and most importantly, the linearity of the whole mid spectrum will improve, which brings about more soundstage and the 3rd dimensional***

*****Do Not Trim Your Lawton Pads*****!!!

Foam discs placement mods: there are 4 positions that I found to have been useful. It is found upon the 4 holes these foams were cut to slot in and lay on the screws guides. One will line up, the rest will be aligned automatically. Remember to remove and install the pad correctly to avoid the foam disc being moved.

1/ Stock: for stock sound , and of course

2/ stock Plus: yeah, it improves bass and more clarity and trebles details upon Stock sound....sibilants may/will present....depends on how much love you have for sparkling bright and trebles. Count these white holes away from the lock port , one, and two, align the foam hole on top of number 2 count

3/ #2 : most balanced and opened sound signature with strong slam and powerful rumbles....it is my favorite. Line up the foam hole on at the largest lock hole opening

4/ #3: the ultimately opened position for 900, brings about the ultimate bass rumbles, very deep deep bass that you probably never felt before, much better soundstage, but some lower-mid may be a bit recessed. Count the last hole at the end of the locking port mechanism, and line up the foam hole on top of it.

Video tutorial
[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/BjOr2kcQJDk[/VIDEO]

Cups damping mods. To come next...but if you already have Lawton first stage, that will work as well.

[COLOR=FF00AA]Part II[/COLOR]

Updated cups dampening mod. It will further help to mainly control the trebles spikes, sibilant, and allow deeper sub-bass + slamming bass body
the cups dampening

Now! Your next problems (may be): trebles spikes , and sibilants ?

1/ open up the cups, by unscrewing these red screws, and leave the green screws alone

2/ remove these white baffles stuffing inside the cup chambers

3/ then to [COLOR=FF00AA]preserve[/COLOR] the bass "rumbles, the body slam" and the airy and linearity of the mid spectrum nuances details + control the trebles spikes. We will use this tape. They can be found at "first aid" section in any stores, Target, Walmart...etc

4/ You will then tape up the cups chambers with 3 layers worth like this, or you can do a better job :D. Now, if you hear "distortions", or you have the "patience" to do it, you dampen the drivers back like this picture (recommended, but not a necessity). Only tape on the Black plastic, and Never, Ever tape over the White paper felt!! Or Gaps

5/ Now, if after these above and you think that your headphones still has the harshness and spikes in the upper-mid and makes the vocal appear shouty ? You can put back the stock batting filter but in this specific position, make sure that you will leave out this "green hole" and that the batting block is inside the "red-square". Simply put, you turn the filter block around and let the green hole "breathe-free"

Doing this will smooth down the "lower-Trebles" and "upper-mid" even further while only effecting the soundstage only a bit....however sound leak-In will be further isolated and may create the illusion of constricted soundstage, but Width-Depth are still the same :D. this is it! The final step to Ultimately Dial tune into your own preferences on your beloved Fostex and is the Complete guide

Then put it back together and Enjoy! The final product! Banana the Papaya and silver cables are an exclusitivity

Finally, if you enjoy these mods, please report back and Rep up this button bellow this post.

Thank you

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #2 of 216
Subbed, as I'd like to try these mods on my LA7000.  Thanks for doing this. 

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 216
Never really been a Mod supporter (some real crazy stuff out there) in general except for the Anax mod which I think helps the 800 in many ways.

Having said that however I think this is a great effort and seems really well thought out.  Nice work !

(Dont let it go to your head though lol)

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #4 of 216
Updated: More specific tuning package and guide lines

I am posting a new guide lines here according to many steps and people Are getting confused. Of course to those who love to play around, you don't need to follow these lined out steps.

1/ More mid forward (less recessed mid) : pad mods, foam piece to #2 position. If trebles spikes and upper mids bother you, rotate the filling white piece in the cup chamber (part II, step5). If lower-trebles and lower mids are not energetic enough, then move the foam pieces to Stock Plus.

2/ More bass: foam position to #2 or #3 for even more bass. Mid and trebles will be a step less. Do pads trim mod for larger , deeper soundstage and deeper bass rumbles and slam.

3/ More mid, more bass, more trebles clarity, less upper mid harshness and tamed trebles spikes: foam position #stock plus, Pads trimming mod, Rotate the inner filter batting (part II, step 5). If the clarity and trebles is not satisfying enough, then do the cups dampening, remove the white batting filter pieces.

And of course, cups dampening mods can be done for every steps, including Pads mod. Because they are one part of another as a whole chain which lead to the ultimate TH900

**ultimate enjoyment and details** more bass, more accuracy, forward mid, more clarity, tamed trebles spikes, less distortion
Pads mod
Cups, driver backs dampened
White batting piece rotated
Foam disc to Stock Plus

**ultimate bass and soundstage**
Pads mod
Cups and drivers back dampened
White batting pieces removed
Foam discs to #3 position

**ultimate balanced, open sound staged, clarity and trebles**
Pads mod
Cups and drivers back dampened
White filter pieces removed
Foam discs to #2

Mar 24, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #5 of 216
I'm really interested in how rotating the foam can change the bass.................going to try that this weekend on the LA7000. 

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 216
I can comment on turning the foam effecting the sound. I tried position number 2 (or 3? the second to last one.)

Anyways I found the biggest difference was in the bass and treble.

The treble was brought down to much more bearable levels, almost even too little for my tastes. The mid and sub bass were both brought forward alot... Like, way more than I expected. It is pretty insane how these turned into bass cannons with such a small change.

The only downside I have noticed is it is a bit muddier mids from the bass. Not too bad at all though.

No noticed differences in soundstage for me.

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 216
I can comment on turning the foam effecting the sound. I tried position number 2 (or 3? the second to last one.)

Anyways I found the biggest difference was in the bass and treble.

The treble was brought down to much more bearable levels, almost even too little for my tastes. The mid and sub bass were both brought forward alot... Like, way more than I expected. It is pretty insane how these turned into bass cannons with such a small change.

The only downside I have noticed is it is a bit muddier mids from the bass. Not too bad at all though.

No noticed differences in soundstage for me.

That is because you will need to open the Pads up for more soundstage and lower-mid :D. But, it is good to know that you are loving the new changes

If anyone want a pair of stock pads replacement, and also want a better angled, and snugly fit. These Brainwavz pads work great, even though they need some stretching and adjustment. They may be even an upgrade to stock pads sound as they seal better with thicker and tighter seals.

They brings similar sounds to stock pads, but with better sub-bass details, rumbles, energies and forward mids. I found this pad with foam disc at #3 for a lot of bass, a bit more forward mid, and detailed but tamed trebles spikes. Also, less sound leakage in/out.

http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Angled-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZY8PGJI?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #8 of 216
HAHAHAHAHAH it works on my TH-600. Highs become a bit smoother :D

I believe this small mod because I own Custom One Pro that the bass can be adjusted by switching the button at the bottom. I believe it is kinda the same concept!

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #10 of 216
Everyone should try these out! The foam mod allows you to tune the headphones more how you like. I think stock+ is really nice. It seems to add a more visceral bass response and keeps the treble sparkly but not too much.

Other options, especially 2/3 can tame down the treble spikes and boost the bass more. It seems to loose a touch of the snappiness and tightness I like of stock+ in favor of a smoother sound profile, but I can see how others may certainly prefer them this way. You can shift it depending on your mood, if you want a smoother or more aggressive sound. I would say stock and stock+ are more aggressive and 2 and 3 are smoother sounding.

Great finds Whitigir! Also, very clear instructions and pictures.

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #13 of 216
I am glad that it works, and yes these mods should apply to all Fostex models variants out there...including Denon, TH600 of course + the new EMU-Teak wood as well
biggrin.gif
. So, really, don't be afraid to spread the words !

I found the mids for number 2 is kinda recessed.

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #15 of 216
Did you do the pad mod ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh didnt see that. Will do this weekend if it gives a big significant.

Or is that foam placement depends on the pad mode?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back