TF10 + vi cabling audio degrading? + earwax
Jul 29, 2010 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

hscai

New Head-Fier
So I've searched the forums and found out that you can actually just buy the TF10vi cables for the TF10pro and turn the TF10 pro into a TF10vi. (How's that for a tongue twister?)
Now, that makes me wonder: is there anything different structurally, electronically between the TF10vi and TF10pro besides the cables? As in, is there extra circuitry within the TF10vi that makes it what it is?

Either way, the more important question should be: will using the TF10vi cable with the TF10pro make the sound of the TF10pro worse?

Also, can you make/buy better cables that has a microphone on it, like the TF10vi cable?

(If this belongs in the cable section, sorry and feel free to move it.)

EDIT: TF10 doesn't have covering for the two holes. (I don't know how to describe those two holes, but thats where the sound comes out.) I have dry-type earwax, and it's a bit difficult to clean, especially since I can't see clearly inside the holes and might not notice small bits of earwax that's not stuck on the sides of the holes, but actually fell in. Any way to clean inside the holes?

Jul 29, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 18
The only difference between the TF10 and TF10vi is the cable. The housing and drivers are exactly the same.

The TF10 cable is the same quality as the TF10vi cable. You will not be degrading the sound quality by switching cables.

Some upgrade cables that include a mic on it can be found on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Crystal-Upgrade-Cable-Ultimate-ears-/270593811024?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3f00a5e250

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pearl-Ver-2-Upgrade-Cable-Ultimate-ears-/270593798409?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3f00a5b109

http://cgi.ebay.com/Diabolo-Upgrade-Cable-Ultimate-ears-/270592676391?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3f00949227

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 18

[size=medium]
Thanks for the quick reply! (I play the violin myself!)

If I'm not mistaken, only Pearl Ver. 2 is shrouded? Or is it that they shroud them for color?
Also, about how thick are those cables?
As for the connectors, it seems like it's Pailiccs versus Neutrik. Which one is better/recommended? Any differences?

[Added question to original post]
[/size]

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 18
I have no idea if they are shrouded.

I don't know about the thickness of the cable.

Pailiccs and Neutrik are both high-quality plugs. It is just a matter of choice: do you want a straight plug or a right-angled plug?

You could always ask the maker (on eBay).

Jul 29, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 18
I've heard that right-angled plugs tend to last longer (due to the cable not bending). Is that true? Are there any other particular benefits of right-angled plugs against straight plugs, and vice-versa?

Jul 30, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 18
Can you make cables? I mean by myself. If so, how? What kind of materials would I need? (lol should this question be reserved for the cabling section for another day?)

Jul 30, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
I've heard that right-angled plugs tend to last longer (due to the cable not bending). Is that true? Are there any other particular benefits of right-angled plugs against straight plugs, and vice-versa?

The only reason that would be true is if you pulled the straight plug tightly away from the connection. The reason this mostly happens is that people wrap their headphones around their DAP. You are stretching a straight plug if you do that, but not a right-angled plug. The only real difference is ergonomics.

Quote:
Can you make cables? I mean by myself. If so, how? What kind of materials would I need? (lol should this question be reserved for the cabling section for another day?)

This should probably be as a separate thread.

If this is your first cabling project get at least 20 - 25 feet of cable. I recommend Mogami or Navships (the stuff on eBay).

You will also need the pin connectors, they are about $10 a pair. You should order 2 or 3 pairs.

And get a plug (the best plug is probably a Viablue).

If you plan on making this with a mic, it is a lot more complicated. Just keep that in mind

Then you braid the cable, and solder everything together.

I'm not going into details. If you need help, start a new thread and/or PM the great DIY'ers (ex. qusp).

Jul 30, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #8 of 18
I actually ordered a set of this seller's "pearl cables" w/the extra mic addition, as well as requested for the cable to be compatible with custom IEMs (not UE universals).  It was more than I wanted to pay, but I didn't really have any options (please stop recommending the 10vi cable)... anyways, they cancelled my order because they were having technical issues with the mic/remote.  Let me know if they've solved their technical issues and you're able to get a cable w/mic from them as I'm still interested in getting a set.

As far as TF10 + vi cabling = TF10vi, I believe I read before how the vi cables are more fragile? I dunno as I never had the non-vi cables, but I wasn't too happy with how fast my vi cables died on me (~1wk).

Quote:
The only difference between the TF10 and TF10vi is the cable. The housing and drivers are exactly the same.

The TF10 cable is the same quality as the TF10vi cable. You will not be degrading the sound quality by switching cables.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Crystal-Upgrade-Cable-Ultimate-ears-/270593811024?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3f00a5e250

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pearl-Ver-2-Upgrade-Cable-Ultimate-ears-/270593798409?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3f00a5b109

http://cgi.ebay.com/Diabolo-Upgrade-Cable-Ultimate-ears-/270592676391?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3f00949227

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 18

Quote:

Quote:
I actually ordered a set of this seller's "pearl cables" w/the extra mic addition, as well as requested for the cable to be compatible with custom IEMs (not UE universals).  It was more than I wanted to pay, but I didn't really have any options (please stop recommending the 10vi cable)... anyways, they cancelled my order because they were having technical issues with the mic/remote.  Let me know if they've solved their technical issues and you're able to get a cable w/mic from them as I'm still interested in getting a set.

As far as TF10 + vi cabling = TF10vi, I believe I read before how the vi cables are more fragile? I dunno as I never had the non-vi cables, but I wasn't too happy with how fast my vi cables died on me (~1wk).

[size=medium]

[size=medium]

Sorry for the long wait, but I was waiting for response from that seller. I wasn't about to buy soon, so I just asked him.

The Diabolo is wrapped in a transparent tube, and is about 6-7mm.
The Crystal and Pearl Ver.2 do not have tube wrapping, and are about 2mm.
For those who are looking for microphones on the cables, look elsewhere for now. The seller is still trying to find a better connector, therefore still trying to solve that issue.
However, I must say that his responses were rather quick. I asked him two questions, and they were both answered within the next day; one of those days was a Sunday, too! If you are not worried about a microphone, I say go for it. This seller seems very dedicated and loyal to his customers.

[/size]

@violinvirtuoso,
Thank you so much for all your help. I think I'm going to start a thread on the Cabling section soon to see how it should be done.

@on topic,
Anyone wants to comment on the earwax part?
[/size]

Aug 1, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 18

[size=medium]
[size=medium]
Sorry for the long wait, but I was waiting for response from that seller. I wasn't about to buy soon, so I just asked him.
The Diabolo is wrapped in a transparent tube, and is about 6-7mm.
The Crystal and Pearl Ver.2 do not have tube wrapping, and are about 2mm.
For those who are looking for microphones on the cables, look elsewhere for now. The seller is still trying to find a better connector, therefore still trying to solve that issue.
However, I must say that his responses were rather quick. I asked him two questions, and they were both answered within the next day; one of those days was a Sunday, too! If you are not worried about a microphone, I say go for it. This seller seems very dedicated and loyal to his customers.

@violinvirtuoso
Thanks for all the help!

@on topic
Anyone wants to comment on the earwax?
[/size]

[/size]

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
EDIT: TF10 doesn't have covering for the two holes. (I don't know how to describe those two holes, but thats where the sound comes out.) I have dry-type earwax, and it's a bit difficult to clean, especially since I can't see clearly inside the holes and might not notice small bits of earwax that's not stuck on the sides of the holes, but actually fell in. Any way to clean inside the holes?

The two holes are called sound bores. Have you tried using the cleaning tool that comes with the TF10 (looks like a black toothpick)?

If all else fails, you could get your TF10s reshelled.

Aug 1, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #12 of 18
Yes, I clean the sound bores (thanks for the terminology) with the included cleaning tool every two weeks or so. They kind of look like this after I clean them.

I think that last picture there explains what I said in the original question. I can't see the bottom clearly at all. My earwax is flaky, dry type, and I don't know whether or not it fell in or not. If it did, would it cause any damage? If I'm not mistaken, the red and yellow things are filters, right?

Aug 1, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #13 of 18
Yes, I clean my the sound bores (thanks for the terminology) with the included cleaning tool once every two weeks or so. They look like this after I clean them.

That third image describes what I mean the best. You can't see the bottom very well at all, so you don't know what's there. As the producer and owner of small, dry pieces of earwax, would any small fallen pieces (as shone in the first two pictures) damage the IEM? The red and yellowish white things you can see through the bores are filters, right?

Aug 1, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #14 of 18

[size=medium]
Yes, I clean the sound bores (thanks for the terminology) with the included cleaning tool every two weeks or so. They look like this after I clean them.

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

The third image describes what I mean the best. I can't see the bottom well at all, and don't know if anything is there. As a producer and owner of dry, flaky earwax, would any small, fallen pieces (as shone in the first two image) damage the IEMs? After all, if I'm not mistaken, aren't the red and yellow objects within the sound bores simply filters? Would touching it even a tiny bit damage it? If not, how much resistance does it have to breaking? (As in, how hard would you have to touch it for it to break?)

EDIT: I am a bit interested with the reshell option. How does that work, and how would one do it?
EDIT2: I'm really sorry about the triple posting with the huge pictures. I originally posted my post with the pictures. The first time, it didn't show up, and I was confused, so I tried again. The second time, a pop-up came up saying I had limitations as a new member. So I tried linking the pictures on the third try instead. Hours later, I check back for replies, and there they were. I wish I could delete them, but I can't edit them at all now. I'll flag it so perhaps an admin could delete it. Sorry for any inconveniences this may have caused.
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back