TF10 Replacement Cable Options
Apr 14, 2012 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

talisman42

500+ Head-Fier
I have an aftermarket cable and quite happy with them, but I'd really like to try out some higher end ones. Is there a sound performance improvement with the high end cables or are the benefits more physical - like quality of materials, etc. I've seen cables going from $30 to around $200. Any have experiences to share? Thanks

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #2 of 38

Quote:
I have an aftermarket cable and quite happy with them, but I'd really like to try out some higher end ones. Is there a sound performance improvement with the high end cables or are the benefits more physical - like quality of materials, etc. I've seen cables going from $30 to around $200. Any have experiences to share? Thanks

It depends on who you ask. The biggest change is going to be your wallet. People swear the Baldur cable changes the sound of their headphones. Personally if a cable delivers more bass and thats what I want, I will adjust my EQ for more bass. I wont spend $142 on a cable, thats more then I paid for my TF10's. Others will, more power to them.

Apr 15, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 38
Check out average joes cable review.  Personally I find the Chris Himself cable to be the best.

Apr 15, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #4 of 38
baldur mk2 is a really good cable cost is somewhat high -$142.00, chrishimself's cables are more reasonably priced for the silver ray at $75.00 and you can customize alot of the aspects of the cable.

Apr 15, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #5 of 38
The greatest benefit is that you get a shiny brightly coloured cable that gives the illusion of better sound quality, and the other great benefit is that the cable sellers make a nice profit. It also is cool because spending $200 on a cable for a $200 iem makes it sound like a $500 iem, that's like a $100 saving on a iem that would of cost $500!

Everybody is happy, everybody wins.

Apr 15, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 38
The greatest benefit is that you get a shiny brightly coloured cable that gives the illusion of better sound quality, and the other great benefit is that the cable sellers make a nice profit. It also is cool because spending $200 on a cable for a $200 iem makes it sound like a $500 iem, that's like a $100 saving on a iem that would of cost $500!

Everybody is happy, everybody wins.

Lol! Man.. that's harsh! I remember during my mountain biking days, I would pay a premium for those titanium alloy carbon fiber kevlar bike parts to save a couple grams here and there. Needless to say, the bike was pretty light, but at a cost! But here's the problem.. If I had some loose pocket change, or drank extra cup of coffee, or I was constipated that day, I would lose the benefits of all those gram-shaving parts I bought. Maybe not the perfect analogy for audio equipment, but I did have a cool bike :)

Anyway, I can appreciate good sound - but not sure if I'd hear improved sound quality from cables alone. If anything, I would hope the cables last, facilitate a perfect fit, and improved mids for the TF10 would be bonus! The high end cables are definitely luxury expense. Ok- I gotta finish eating my non-fat, sugar free frozen yogurt.

Apr 15, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 38
i believe in cables. they might be expensive, but imo its worth the upgrade. the sound difference i expierence with my se535ltd-j and the pure silver cable was astonishing.

i dont belive that a 200 dollar cable and 200 dollar iem makes it sound like a 400 dollar iem. 

but cables to make a impressive difference imo

Apr 15, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 38
I too also find the Chris_Himself cables the best for the money (Bang For Buck). It has great sound quality good microphonics, and improves the tf.10 drastically. The only con I can really think of is the cable isn't the most flexible and might break near the top because of the single solid silver core and people wrapping it around their amps and players.

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #9 of 38
I too also find the Chris_Himself cables the best for the money (Bang For Buck). It has great sound quality good microphonics, and improves the tf.10 drastically. The only con I can really think of is the cable isn't the most flexible and might break near the top because of the single solid silver core and people wrapping it around their amps and players.

Thank you for the suggestion. As you mentioned, microphonic characteristics are important, too - good point! Are there any particular ones you can point me to? If more appropriate, you can pm me too. I saw a very expensive cable on ebay and really disappointed with the seller's description with no real specs.

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #10 of 38

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion. As you mentioned, microphonic characteristics are important, too - good point! Are there any particular ones you can point me to? If more appropriate, you can pm me too. I saw a very expensive cable on ebay and really disappointed with the seller's description with no real specs.

By particular ones do you mean different cables or do you mean different levels of microphonics. By the way, silver is the best material to make the cores of the cables out of because they are the most conductive and has the least resistance.

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

By particular ones do you mean different cables or do you mean different levels of microphonics. By the way, silver is the best material to make the cores of the cables out of because they are the most conductive and has the least resistance.

different cables - or are they one size fit all? I saw different lengths, but there are also plug options. I'd prefer the more narrow ones so they can fit through the phone case. Also they use memory wire or plastic guides? I'm using a Furutech which seem good. I like the springy cables and and the plastic guide tubes will last forever. I used hot water to help mold/tweak them, but other wise, I can see these things lasting forever. Maybe I fuss too much with memory wire because they break on me. Yep the silver looks like the material of choice. thanks again.

Apr 16, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #12 of 38

Quote:
different cables - or are they one size fit all? I saw different lengths, but there are also plug options. I'd prefer the more narrow ones so they can fit through the phone case. Also they use memory wire or plastic guides? I'm using a Furutech which seem good. I like the springy cables and and the plastic guide tubes will last forever. I used hot water to help mold/tweak them, but other wise, I can see these things lasting forever. Maybe I fuss too much with memory wire because they break on me. Yep the silver looks like the material of choice. thanks again.

Yes, the cables are one size fits all (If you're talking about the connector to the TF.10's) and yeah it's quite customizable. By narrow do you mean the 3.5mm plug? Mine is quite big and still fits through my phone case. And they don't use any memory wire of plastic guides, as the silver inside stays in the shape that you want them to be (which can also be a con). But if you do get it, be extra careful to how you store them because it's a single strand silver wire and although durable, it's possible to snap. The most likely spot is near the connector which is a easy fix :)

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #13 of 38
somethings to take into consideration with cables. is the connector plug, if its a silver cable a silver plated plug will work in conjunction with the cables. also size variations of the plugs to, make sure to look at the plug and make sure it will fit your source if you have a case ect. another thing is the gauge of wire. a larger gauge wire is going to carry a better signal and have less resistance. silver is the best material but i find it to make iem's slightly harder to drive. that is just personal expierence.

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #15 of 38
Silver is a better conductor than copper....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back