Texas Meet (Saturday, March 10th, 2012) [Location Inside]
Mar 5, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #541 of 615
Yeah as far as I've seen that Marantz is as close as it gets for bells and whistles at a relatively low price.

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #542 of 615
Yeah as far as I've seen that Marantz is as close as it gets for bells and whistles at a relatively low price.

I think it was a brief moment of insecurity due to the fact it'll only be a transport from now on.

Like...'Well why do I need it if it's only going to spin the discs?'

EDIT: Okay I lied again. I will be selling the Marantz SA8004 if anyone wants it. I learned something about it that I was unaware of (and also found out it's true for most SACD players). They can't output a digital signal when playing SACDs. That being said I'm not selling it because it's a bad unit, I'm selling it because I've outgrown it. It's a relatively new purchase (in the grand scheme of things), but my system has expanded so quick I outgrew it quick. Those of you with less 'disposable' income than me could build a system around this unit that might take years to complete.

I just feel I could get a good CD transport for less money.

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #543 of 615
I'm looking at somewhere between 3 and 4 hours of drive time to get there Saturday, so I'll probably arrive somewhere between 12 and 1, depending on traffic, weather, etc.

I'll be bringing two other people with me.  Sicsemper (posted back on page 19) will be bringing his turntable, but it will be hooked up to my gear, so we really only need one lot of table space.  The other is a friend who is mostly just curious and won't be bringing anything to show.  I will be bringing a table and should have room for someone else if they need space.

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #544 of 615
Anyone bringing a Buffalo DAC?

Mar 6, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #545 of 615
Steve's stack has a Buffalo in it, I believe.

Mar 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #546 of 615
Yes, I have a Buffalo II DAC. It has balanced and SE outputs. Coaxial RCA, Coaxial BNC, Toslink And Balanced AES/EBU inputs. It also has volume control via a Volumite and a built in Mini³ amp.

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #548 of 615
So you did decide to sell it after all. I guess you'll be in the market for a good transport then?

--

Last call for name tags and table ID. If you are coming and haven't gotten on the list please let me know!

Went and bought some snack stuff and supplies tonight. Going to be packing up Thursday night to be ready to head down after work on Friday. This is the longest week ever!

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #550 of 615
Sent a pm to Morbid earlier. We'll see what he says we still need. But yeah bring on the snacks and drinks. Please feel free to bring sweets, but also consider something that's healthy and/or has some substance to it. Bringing some awesome muffins and a large bag of chex mix, myself.

Mar 6, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #551 of 615
Well, pleased to report that my STAX SR-007 (O2) earpads came in from Japan yesterday, BUT, I'm unsure at this point whether I will be able to complete the pad swap in time for the meet as Im rather skittish about damaging the sound signature I've come to depend on in my TP1s.

Working to get specific instructions from Smeggy, but they may not get to me in time. Ive never swapped a pad in my life so Im a little hesitant. Im surprised they reached me from Japan at all to be honest.

Also got some really nice new tubes for the CTH. A Sylvana 6922, pair of Amperex BB 6DJ8s, and a replacement RCA 6DJ8 Clear Top.

However, money is rather tight atm so I may have to cancel the room at Georgetown Inn, unless somene wants to share or something.

Looking forward to the meet in any case.

Mar 6, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #553 of 615
Putting OII pads onto Thunderpants is a relatively easy task. I had no problem doing so to my old pair. I can give you some pointers Saturday if you like.

Really, I can't adequately express what a relief that will be, should I still not have swapped pads by the time of the meet. Extremely grateful you offered to lend a hand. Hopefully it wont be necessary, but still, many thanks

Mar 6, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #554 of 615
If it's anything like putting new pads on the intended target: SR-007 it's a piece of cake. Took me a couple minutes per pad to swap.

Mar 6, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #555 of 615
Just got done cleaning up and checking the power. That should be fine, thankfully.

We have about 40' of space to display with in the 2 main rooms (wall space) and the office will give us more space as well. The patio and kitchen are clean now and should be good for snacks and a few chairs.

Overall I see it going smoothly (knock on wood). I'm excited and I'll post a few pictures when I get home.

Only thing left is really snacks, me thinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back