Texas Meet (Saturday, March 10th, 2012) [Location Inside]
Feb 22, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #406 of 615
Btw guys, I was able to get an order for a FiiO e17 in yesterday via miccastore and they shipped it same-day, so with any luck I'll have it along with my other stuff at the meet.

Quote:
 Trying to have a CTH (work) done by then as well, but, we'll see.

Hey pabbi, if you manage to complete and bring your CTH, I'll finally have one I can compare mine to!  Do you have any good tubes? 
popcorn.gif
  I haven't been able to afford any of the nicer ones up till now, with the exception of 1 RCA 6CG7 clear top I bought which broke a pin during install.  Last time I buy a tube from fleaBay, heh.

Just added the Emotiva XDA-1 to my list of stuff I'll be bringing. Nice looking DAC that I'll be evaluating Emotiva by. $250 (Clearance price) didn't seem like a bad deal at all for a Balanced DAC with a bunch of inputs. Looking forward to hearing it alongside my SA8004's built in DAC.

Damn Morbid, that looks like a hell of a DAC for that price.  I might have gone that way myself if I didn't need a more transportable solution to replace the ugly blue E-mu.  Can't wait to hear it myself!  

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #407 of 615
Hi All!  Thanks MorbidToaster for letting me know about this thread.  I haven't been to a head-fi meet in a very long time. 

I can tentatively bring some or maybe all: LCD2 r2 (stock cable), cordas cabled sony 3ks, schiit bifrost, schiit lyr with several tubes, an apex butte, and possibly an old wooaudio1 depending on if I can find a replacement tube.  I won't really have a good source for all of this, my main source these days is my computer, and it's a full tower. 

What are the options for source sharing? 

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #408 of 615
Wasn't sure if you were reading that thread or not. :D

Glad you can make it. I'm perfectly willing to share my SA8004, or XDA-1 as long as one of them is at my station at all times. Then again...If my LF doesn't come in by then I'll just let them both roam.

Those are all fairly new products...Did you go on a spending spree when you came back? lol

Quote:
Hi All!  Thanks MorbidToaster for letting me know about this thread.  I haven't been to a head-fi meet in a very long time. 

I can tentatively bring some or maybe all: LCD2 r2 (stock cable), cordas cabled sony 3ks, schiit bifrost, schiit lyr with several tubes, an apex butte, and possibly an old wooaudio1 depending on if I can find a replacement tube.  I won't really have a good source for all of this, my main source these days is my computer, and it's a full tower. 

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #409 of 615
Sounds good. I can probably bring a laptop with foobar, but we'll see. Is there a general time that most people are showing up? 

Well the 3ks and the woodaudio are pretty old.  But yea, I haven't been here in 5 years so my wallet was way too full.  It's now nice and empty like a proper head-fier.

Quote:
Wasn't sure if you were reading that thread or not. :D

Glad you can make it. I'm perfectly willing to share my SA8004, or XDA-1 as long as one of them is at my station at all times. Then again...If my LF doesn't come in by then I'll just let them both roam.

Those are all fairly new products...Did you go on a spending spree when you came back? lol

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #410 of 615
I just emptied mine. LF and Magnepan MMGs...Oh and the Emotiva DAC.

Quote:
Sounds good. I can probably bring a laptop with foobar, but we'll see. Is there a general time that most people are showing up? 

Well the 3ks and the woodaudio are pretty old.  But yea, I haven't been here in 5 years so my wallet was way too full.  It's now nice and empty like a proper head-fier.

Quote:

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #411 of 615

Quote:
I won't really have a good source for all of this, my main source these days is my computer, and it's a full tower.   

hah well I'm planning on bringing my tower and my AVR so I can hear some specific headphones with my specific setup (namely, Denon D2k).
I have such a range of music in a range of quality that I don't think I could narrow down to one or two test CDs so what better than having my entire library of music?

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #412 of 615

Quote:

You can show up when you like, but the gates open at 9am for setup and most people will be setup and the meet can really begin by 9:30-10. Bring an extension cord, power strip, and table if possible. Tell me your name so I can add you to the list for a name badge.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #413 of 615
Name is Mike.

I have a folding table, but it won't fit in my car, so I won't be able to bring that.  I should be good on everything else.

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #415 of 615
Hi all,

Just out of curiosity, anyone planning on coming to the meet who has some experience with DIY headphone modifications, particularly earpad swaps and such?  

Reason I ask is I'm looking to buy some new pads to replace the stock version I currently have on my modded Fostex T50RP, but as I've never swapped pads before I was going to wait until after the meet and ship them and my phones to Smeggy, who modded my Thunderpants to begin with.  Then it occurred to me that maybe we might have some folks in attendance who have some practice at that sort of thing, so thought I'd ask.  

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #416 of 615
I've been looking for a Texas meet, but I don't know if I can switch up schedules to attend on 3/10/12.  I'll be in DFW the weekend before and SA the weekend after.  I'm in H-town a lot, too, so any of those venues work for me as far as future dates are concerned.  In any case, add me to the list and I'll see what I can do. 

I don't have a LOT of kit to bring, and I can't seem to get Smeggy to return any of my messages, so I doubt that I can have my Thunderpants DIY conversion finished by then, but if I can make it, I'll bring what I have.  Love to hear some different gear before blindly purchasing more stuff.

EDIT: 02-27-12  Counting myself out on this one, guys.  I'll keep my eyes peeled for info on another Texas meet in the future.  Too much on my plate at the moment.  Good news is that Smeggy got hold of me and whenever that next meet is, I should have some Thunderpants to bring along for the ride!  Y'all have fun!

Feb 26, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #417 of 615
First crack at table identification. I think I nailed it. Lemme know what you think.

Feb 26, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #418 of 615
By the way, found out my Pioneer SX-9 has a protection circuit preventing me from using my Stax energizer with it. This throws a couple monkey wrenches in.. the SX-9 was my phono stage so in addition to needing a different amp (probably go with a SRM323S) I'll have to keep my vinyl separate for a while until I get or build a phono stage that isn't so bulky (and power hungry). So, no vinyl for me at the meet. I might bring my records, but not TT. The cheap Harman Kardon receiver I have connected atm is very poor quality and the sound is not so good, and also does not have a phono stage.

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #419 of 615
Hmm, I have a Pioneer DJM800 mixer that has phono stages / Grounds.  I have no idea what you need for that piece of equipment, but I could bring it if you want.

I was thinking about bringing it anyway so a few sources could be hooked up to it for A/B comparisons.  But hadn't decided on it.

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #420 of 615
Appreciate the offer, but I think I'll just go with cds this time. I'm already bringing a ton of crap as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back