Testing the claim: "I can hear differences between lossless formats."
Oct 18, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #33 of 721
Oct 18, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #34 of 721
I'm beginning to doubt that this claim has been even carefully observed, much less carefully tested.

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #36 of 721
I've seen the claim that different lossless formats sound different from one another and from .WAV files debated on other forums.  The "explanation" given there is that the extra CPU activity required by decoding the lossless format is what makes the difference in sound. 

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just passing on other claims I've read. 

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #37 of 721
  I've seen the claim that different lossless formats sound different from one another and from .WAV files debated on other forums.  The "explanation" given there is that the extra CPU activity required by decoding the lossless format is what makes the difference in sound. 

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just passing on other claims I've read. 

And those claims have been tested in a number of ways.  That does not appear to have a bearing on the analog signal output.  The data doesn't change, the timing of conversion is not done by the computer, and noise in the audible ranges doesn't appear to be effected by CPU activity. 

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #38 of 721

And those claims have been tested in a number of ways.  That does not appear to have a bearing on the analog signal output.  The data doesn't change, the timing of conversion is not done by the computer, and noise in the audible ranges doesn't appear to be effected by CPU activity. 

Got a cite for those tests?  I'd love to be able to pull that out to rebut some of the more outrageous claims I've seen. 

"Noise in the audible ranges..."  LOL!!!  Don't you know that human hearing exceeds the capability of any measuring equipment known to Man?  :wink:

Oct 19, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #39 of 721
  And those claims have been tested in a number of ways.  That does not appear to have a bearing on the analog signal output.  The data doesn't change, the timing of conversion is not done by the computer, and noise in the audible ranges doesn't appear to be effected by CPU activity

Mmm... I'm not quite sure if that's true. CPU activity can definitely introduce random distortion and noise during playback. When I am listening to music with twenty other windows open, I can catch noise & stuttering & other random bad side effects.

Oct 19, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #40 of 721

Mmm... I'm not quite sure if that's true. CPU activity can definitely introduce random distortion and noise during playback. When I am listening to music with twenty other windows open, I can catch noise & stuttering & other random bad side effects.

My intuition tells me that is the truth.

My judge will be time.

P.S. On one of the forums I searched, one poster made the claim that the AIFF format is designed in a way to emphasize certain frequencies to make vocals sound better. No, I don't have a link.

Oct 19, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #41 of 721

1.  "Noise and stuttering & other random bad side effects" are a far cry from what  KlarkKentThe3rd is claiming to hear.  KlarkKentThe3rd is claiming that .wav files are "warmer" and that lossless files are "colder," whatever that might mean.  KlarkKentThe3rd, could you try to be a bit more specific in what it is you are hearing, and try not to use hackneyed audiophile cliches when doing so? 

2.  Twenty open windows is a far greater load on a CPU than expanding a lossless file.

3.  For any computer whizzes out there: where exactly does "expansion" take place in the play back chain?  Does it actually have any effect on what the sound card (or chip) exports to the DAC? 

Oct 19, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #42 of 721

P.S. On one of the forums I searched, one poster made the claim that the AIFF format is designed in a way to emphasize certain frequencies to make vocals sound better. No, I don't have a link.

Lots of misinformation going on. The word format is ambiguous. AIFF and WAV are not codecs, they are containers or "wrapper"s. They only hold data, they do not order it, compress it, minimize it, or otherwise alter it in any way whatsoever. The data they hold is raw PCM, an exact mirror of the CD. I'm telling you from years of personal experience on both OSX and Windows platforms that there is no difference in playback.  

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #43 of 721

The lossless file formats he is claiming are inferior are ones specifically designed for his machine (Mac / AIFF, ALAC). I've had Macs with audio capability going all the way back to the 8500 AV, and every one of them has been audibly transparent both in capturing AIFF audio and playing it back. The 8500 didn't do ALAC I don't think, but when I got my Mirror door PowerPC, it did and it was audibly transparent in and out too.

If he is actually hearing a difference, my guess is that it is a problem with his computer not operating properly and the problem is intermittent, so he has guessed what the cause was (incorrectly). But I think that is the least likely option. It's more likely that he just hasn't compared carefully enough to eliminate bias.

Oct 19, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #44 of 721
  On one of the forums I searched, one poster made the claim that the AIFF format is designed in a way to emphasize certain frequencies to make vocals sound better. No, I don't have a link.

Well, you can pretty well be guaranteed that the person who said that doesn't know diddly squat about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back