Testing the claim: "I can hear differences between lossless formats."
Oct 19, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #46 of 721

Lots of misinformation going on. The word format is ambiguous. AIFF and WAV are not codecs, they are containers or "wrapper"s. They only hold data, they do not order it, compress it, minimize it, or otherwise alter it in any way whatsoever. The data they hold is raw PCM, an exact mirror of the CD. I'm telling you from years of personal experience on both OSX and Windows platforms that there is no difference in playback.  

And from a year of constant audio editing, I can confirm that on OSX, AIFF and WAV sound different (one being cold while other warm) on every player. And to counter the inevitable placebo arguments, I was not looking for a difference; I discovered it by accident.

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #47 of 721
This isn't going anywhere. You won't take the effort to certify your own perception using a simple test and your claims are not falsifiable. At this rate, you wanna keep it at he-said she-said, and that won't fix the problem you have, which is either system-based, a forgotten setting, or biased perception. If you wanna insist this is due to the container itself, there's not much else anyone can do to help you track down the problem.

Oct 19, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #48 of 721
You save the same source into two different lossless format and claim can hear differences between these two?

If all thing being equal - same computer, same speakers, then the difference probably is being introduced by the player, the output stages, it could be a bug in the decoder or some extra effect or filtering active on the player software.

It definitely can't due to either lossless format changing the character of the original audio, then it can't be called lossless anymore.

To test if there are any real differences, the best way is to capture the audio at the computer audio device output stage via software and doing a waveform comparison. 

Or since you have the files, we can make use of the same Audacity to objectively test this.  Start by importing both lossless files you saved earlier into two track, then invert one track.  Next select both track and do a mix and render to new track.  Now compare the new track waveform, it should be a straight line, proving both lossless format are correctly storing the audio exactly the same as we all will expect them to.

Oct 19, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #49 of 721
Do you really think if he fails a test, he'll stop hearing a difference afterwards? Why do you think he would?

If I often heard a difference and then I couldn't hear it sometimes on a test, presumably I'd continue to hear it in normal listening.

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #51 of 721
  1.  "Noise and stuttering & other random bad side effects" are a far cry from what  KlarkKentThe3rd is claiming to hear.  KlarkKentThe3rd is claiming that .wav files are "warmer" and that lossless files are "colder," whatever that might mean.  KlarkKentThe3rd, could you try to be a bit more specific in what it is you are hearing, and try not to use hackneyed audiophile cliches when doing so? 

2.  Twenty open windows is a far greater load on a CPU than expanding a lossless file.

3.  For any computer whizzes out there: where exactly does "expansion" take place in the play back chain?  Does it actually have any effect on what the sound card (or chip) exports to the DAC? 

lol i personally politely disagree with mr. kent's views and don't think that his claims will stand up to a blind test.

i was just pointing out that cpu can have an effect on sound quality from my experience.

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #52 of 721
Would not the best way to test this to be hooking up the sourc to an o-scope and analyze the resulting waveforms? This should concretely prove whether or not there is a difference in the analog signal. If there is no difference, then it would be impossible for someone to hear a difference.

Or is someone going to argue that audio signals transcend our earthly limitations and have some sort of supernatural tone?

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #53 of 721
  Would not the best way to test this to be hooking up the sourc to an o-scope and analyze the resulting waveforms? This should concretely prove whether or not there is a difference in the analog signal. If there is no difference, then it would be impossible for someone to hear a difference.

Or is someone going to argue that audio signals transcend our earthly limitations and have some sort of supernatural tone?

lol honestly, i don't think that the person with the claim is very interested in any objective testing.

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #54 of 721

Mmm... I'm not quite sure if that's true. CPU activity can definitely introduce random distortion and noise during playback. When I am listening to music with twenty other windows open, I can catch noise & stuttering & other random bad side effects.

Well, being more specific I was referring to setups that use an SPDIF converter coming off either USB or Firewire.  You are correct the CPU load coming straight off a soundcard can sometimes be effecting the analog signal. Though even then I haven't seen any repeatable effects from the comparison of WAV vs AIFF.  Only that under some loads soundcards can have spurious noises due to activity.  Yet some people make claims for the file formats sounding different even when export the data off the computer with all conversion done by another piece of equipment.  The amount of computing power processing the various lossy formats is miniscule with any PC made within the last decade. 

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #55 of 721
  And from a year of constant audio editing, I can confirm that on OSX, AIFF and WAV sound different (one being cold while other warm) on every player. And to counter the inevitable placebo arguments, I was not looking for a difference; I discovered it by accident.

That is only because you are superman and not effected by placebo. 

Whether looking for it or not you can be effected in your subjective perceptions.  You probably won't believe it, but you listen once, then change format and again thinking you heard a difference.  Human minds will run with that and create a difference in short order than you will have trouble un-hearing after that.  And yes even when not looking for a difference this is a highly likely event.  If you dispute the likelihood of that, then do a blind test on yourself.  If it is real, you will hear it clearly enough.  If it isn't, you just learned something.

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #56 of 721
How is this thread still going?

Oct 19, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #57 of 721

Got a cite for those tests?  I'd love to be able to pull that out to rebut some of the more outrageous claims I've seen. 

"Noise in the audible ranges..."  LOL!!!  Don't you know that human hearing exceeds the capability of any measuring equipment known to Man?  :wink:

Flac wasn't uncompressed FLAC, but the compressed variety.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/mitchco/flac-vs-wav-vs-mp3-vs-m4a-experiment-94/

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/blogs/mitchco/flac-vs-wav-part-2-final-results-155/

Testing of jitter of heavily vs lightly loaded computer. 

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/03/measurements-hunt-for-load-induced.html

Measurements of lossless formats at the analog output.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/05/measurements-do-lossless-compressed.html

Also have done my own testing.  Used a soundcard that can record SPDIF  while also playing through the rest of my stereo there was never any difference in data coming from the different file formats.  Nor any difference in a lightly loaded vs heavily loaded CPU. 

Doing loopbacks with some decent recording ADC's and good quality consumer DAC's I have recorded test signals and music.  Once you line up the files you can null them and listen to the result.  There is nothing to hear at any volume level I can accomplish with my stereo.  Looking at the results in FFT's and such you see residual levels not far from the thermal noise floor.  There just isn't any difference in the resulting waveform that gets close to being audible.  The ADC and DACs I used were capable of about 19-20 bit performance which is not often exceeded in audio equipment due to noise limitations in the analog realm.  Further the tiny residual differences looked the same if I compared the file to itself or to another file format.  Leading to the conclusion the tiny residuals were due to larger factors than the effect if any of the file format.

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #58 of 721
  My intuition tells me that is the truth.

My judge will be time.

The only action that has any bearing whatsoever in this proposed experiment is properly testing between these files and providing sufficient documentation to verify what you are hearing. A claim is a claim, nothing more. Even if you are actually hearing real differences under normal listening conditions, that in itself will only serve to convince yourself, not anyone else.

You cannot confirm what others will hear on their systems unless you hear their systems, and even then, hearing is partially subjective. You haven't isolated the variables to determine what is causing what you are experiencing.

Since you say that the differences are instantly noticeable, you should have no problem reliably distinguishing between them in blind tests.

I'll lay out some instructions for you to conduct ABX tests on your Mac.

Install and launch ABXTester. (It's free.)

Choose a song that you easily perceive differences on. Select the sound samples A and B with two formats of the song. (For simplicity's sake, I recommend WAV and ALAC.)

Each time a sample is played, listen and choose whether you think it is A or B. ABXTester performs five trials at a time, using pairs of random sound samples from the two files. You will need to repeat the process three or four times (for a total of 15 or 20 trials) to get enough data to work with. (It needs to be demonstrated with statistical significance. Otherwise, your best judgment is tantamount to random guessing.)

Record your progress via screenshots of all of your results. Be sure to label and organize them. Don't worry about interpreting your scores. We'll be able to tell you what they mean. There will probably be a good number of images to share, so put them in a spoiler box when you upload them to your post.

For more thorough documentation, do more ABX tests with more formats and songs.

Next, you can test on a portable player. Do you own an iPod or other DAP that can play lossless files and has a shuffle feature? If so, you can transfer several copies of the lossless files (labeling them as WAV 1, WAV 2, ALAC 1, ALAC 2, etc.) onto it in a folder/album, set the player to shuffle, and record your ability to identify which format is playing. Press play on the album/folder. Without looking at the screen, let each file play for however long you need (preferably a set period), guess which format it is, then look at the screen to see if you were correct. Then go to each next track without looking at the screen. Record the number of correct and incorrect tries, along with any other relevant information. It would be better if a friend tests you blind. Either way, it's still possible to cheat, so this isn't the best alternative.

Optionally, you can also take objective measurements of the audio, which would be especially valuable. A few have suggested methods to go about this.

Bear in mind that many experienced members here insist that you won't even be able to hear a difference between 256 kbps AAC and lossless (assuming that the lossy file was not derived from a different master and was converted from the lossless file), so you need to approach this scientifically.

For more background on ABX tests, read this post.

Lots of misinformation going on. The word format is ambiguous. AIFF and WAV are not codecs, they are containers or "wrapper"s. They only hold data, they do not order it, compress it, minimize it, or otherwise alter it in any way whatsoever. The data they hold is raw PCM, an exact mirror of the CD. I'm telling you from years of personal experience on both OSX and Windows platforms that there is no difference in playback.  

Do you? Please explain how one uncompressed lossless format differs from another.

The main difference between WAV and AIFF is that the byte order is reversed. (They are optimized for Intel and Motorola processors, respectively.) Unless there is a problem in your system, this should have no effect on the audio.

You save the same source into two different lossless format and claim can hear differences between these two?

If all thing being equal - same computer, same speakers, then the difference probably is being introduced by the player, the output stages, it could be a bug in the decoder or some extra effect or filtering active on the player software.

It definitely can't due to either lossless format changing the character of the original audio, then it can't be called lossless anymore.

To test if there are any real differences, the best way is to capture the audio at the computer audio device output stage via software and doing a waveform comparison. 

Or since you have the files, we can make use of the same Audacity to objectively test this.  Start by importing both lossless files you saved earlier into two track, then invert one track.  Next select both track and do a mix and render to new track.  Now compare the new track waveform, it should be a straight line, proving both lossless format are correctly storing the audio exactly the same as we all will expect them to.

Good info. Could use an in-depth tutorial, though.

Do you really think if he fails a test, he'll stop hearing a difference afterwards? Why do you think he would?

If I often heard a difference and then I couldn't hear it sometimes on a test, presumably I'd continue to hear it in normal listening.

That's why I recommend that he test songs which he could easily perceive a difference with during normal listening.

How is this thread still going?

The tests have yet to be done, that's why.

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #59 of 721
I think I know enough about this without making him do tests. But if you think it might help him, and he won't get mad about it or cheat the test, go for it.

Oct 19, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #60 of 721
lol i have found in my experience that there are certain people here who are comfortable making claims based on personal experience without any rigorous testing. there are other people here who feel uncomfortable doing that & think that objective testing is absolutely necessary to validate an experience.

Convincing someone in the first camp to undergo an objective test is just as hard as convincing someone in the second camp to be chill with an anecdotal experience.

The thread will ultimately prove to be a fruitless endeavor I'm afraid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back