Testament and End of Balanced Journey
Dec 22, 2007 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

SK138

Headphoneus Supremus
This is not meant to be a review. It's a journal or testament to my personal search for balanced system. My primary motivation in this journey was to get the best bang for the buck in search for the "right" balanced amp to go with SennHD580 and SennHD650. No doubt, I learned many things regarding balanced system and I learned to cable my own balanced cables
wink.gif

That balanced journey ended today at 5:12pm EST with shipment of HeadAmp GSX. It is the BEST balanced amp I heard to date. As you can see from my balanced experiments below that I came a long way (original post).

I did the following (crazy) balanced experiments to reach my current conclusion...it is worth going balanced with Senn HD6** series headphones.

Experiment #1: Using VDA2/VAC1's 0 (zero) phase and 180 phase RCA plugs, I used the MPX3 6SN7 amp on right channel and MicroZOTL amp on the left channel. It gave me a sense of depth, bass, and sound stage I had not heard before using single ended amps. After careful volume matching, I listened this way for few days and really liked it and warranted further experimentation...

Experiment #2: Using VDA2/VAC1 as my source, I commissioned DIY-er here to build me two matching cMoy with lowest gain. First impression was it sounded bad...but I knew some burn in process might help and did it ever. Even now, I really enjoy listening to this simple humble balanced system. My next curiosity led me to further experimentation with "decent" portable amp...

Experiment #3: At this point, I sold all my single ended tube and ss amps. I used a two matching Mini^3 with VDA2/VAC and I got more of everything from balanced cMoy system plus smoother extension top and bottom. Yes, the Senn sounded little "dark" so I performed the foam modd on the drivers and that greatly helped the "dark" issue.

Experiment #4: I put an order for Headroom's balanced desktop and canceled it after I got the idea from Iron_Dreamer to setup an all CIA balanced rig using VDA2/VAC1 and two VHP2/VAC1 sets..and BAM!!! It made a noticeable and significant difference to previous budget balanced systems. It's been known to senior head-fiers the importance of "source first" mantra....

Experiment #5: I replaced the VDA2/VAC1 with Cambridge Audio's 840c mainly using it as out board external DAC. That made a huge jump in both clarity and bass extension VDA2 lacked but with a price tag. I used the 840c with VHP2/VAC1 and loved it. I wonder what budget tube balanced sound like...

Experiment #6: I was in constant contact with fellow Head-Fi member Bazile setting up two Lunch box II tube amps in a balanced config with his VDA2/VAC combo. He sent me the two unites on a review loan and I instantly loved it with balanced HD580 but didn't like it with HD650. The tube just made the balanced HD650 too bassy and darker for my personal taste...even with foam mod. I really enjoyed it with balanced HD580. I am sure with NOS tube the sound can be greatly tweaked.

Experiment #7 ("Final Chapter"): Bite the bullet and get a "real" balanced rig...GSX. That's where I am now.

Without a doubt, GSX gives all the technical aspects of going balanced from above balanced experiments plus it gives emotionality, musicality, and sense of getting lost in the music out of sheer enjoyment.

I am "done" here folks
wink.gif
I got the top of the line from Sennheiser (as end of 2007), best from Cambridge Audio, and best dynamic headphone amp by HeadAmp. It's been a great year in my balanced journey. What a great way to end it with GSX. What will 2008 bring? Maybe new flagship headphone from Senn
wink.gif
I just hope they don't change the cable plugs
biggrin.gif

Here are some pictures:
7e4e2757bx9.jpg

7e4e2759lm6.jpg

7e4e2760ug0.jpg

7e4e2762dr0.jpg

Dec 22, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 16
You've only just begun muahahaha.....
wink.gif

Thanks for the update, these are good things to know, and hard to find out unless you spend lots of money.

That gsx looks clean and crisp.......it's like a fresh peice of mint.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #6 of 16
Congrats, SK138! That's a sweet setup. Clean, solid. And the headphone stand's nice, too. You should be set for a while. At least until the next generation of balanced amps begins to surface.
tongue.gif

Dec 22, 2007 at 9:13 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138
That balanced journey ended today at 5:12pm EST with shipment of HeadAmp GSX. It is the BEST balanced amp I heard to date.

I'd suggest you hide your wallet and run swiftly and joyfully from the realm of head-fi
wink.gif
icon10.gif

Dec 22, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #9 of 16
At 5:13pm EST, a slight itch began to surface...

Dec 22, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #10 of 16
Congrats! Your setup has sure changed over the year....

Now the last thing you need to get are cables equal to your system to go between the 840c and the GSX...

You may say you don't believe in high-end cables but the proof otherwise is that everyone of your Sennheiser headphones has after-market cables.

Dec 22, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That balanced journey ended today at 5:12pm EST with shipment of HeadAmp GSX. It is the BEST balanced amp I heard to date. As you can see from my balanced experiments below that I came a long way (original post).

I know that balanced amps tend tobe costly, but what other balanced amps you have tried, the market right now is flodded of balanced amps, I think that you ended too quick your experiments ...
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #12 of 16
We'll have to have a meet at some point. I want to compare my tooleaudio balanced mosfet to the GSX...and the apogee with the cambridge.

Dec 22, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that balanced amps tend tobe costly, but what other balanced amps you have tried, the market right now is flodded of balanced amps, I think that you ended too quick your experiments ...
wink.gif

You must not have read his post.

Dec 22, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #14 of 16
Congrats on the balanced set-up! Looks great!

Dec 22, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #15 of 16
The problem with high end cables are it cost too much and the performance to price ratio is low compare to changing components. My absolute limit is $150 for a (used) cable. I got my Senn cables cheap on A'gon for less than $100 and they do change the SQ just enough to warrant a cable change. Next, I should try some ERP papers
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now the last thing you need to get are cables equal to your system to go between the 840c and the GSX...

You may say you don't believe in high-end cables but the proof otherwise is that everyone of your Sennheiser headphones has after-market cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back