Test yourself: What frequencies can you hear?
Jun 13, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #76 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
I know we are all guilty of skipping posts, but guys, Sonance was right -- it is MATHEMATICALLY impossible for the samples on that test to contain ANY tones above 21kHz! Impossible. Go back and look. So whatever anyof you are hearing in the higher frequency samples is just aliasing, sidetones, and quantization noise. That test will never be able to test hearing at all above 20kHz, even if the rest of the test were perfect (which it ain't).

I completely agree.

I can hear the tone up to 18 khz.

At 19 khz i can't hear a thing, although i feel something.

at 20 khz I can hear a tone again but it sounds more like a 15 khz tone.

at 21 khz I can hear even a lower tone.

so there's definetely some aliasing going on

click here if you're not familiar with aliasing

Jun 13, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #77 of 114
Ah, guys... to those of you who say you can hear the new 20KHz sample, I have some bad news. Go into your favorite music playing software, turn on the scope or bars as visualizations and you'll see that... no tone is even being produced anymore. That or the program stops even counting it. So... ah... does anybody wanna rethink what they're hearing under the new 20KHz sample
very_evil_smiley.gif
?

~ Brett

Jun 13, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #78 of 114
In my case the sounds were resampled, the better the resampler the less i hear, because the lower frequency noise becomes less. Also samples after 15k go backwards again towards 10k. I can barely hear the 15k sound when i turn it up a little bit, but the 16k is gone. So those who think they can hear 25k.

Jun 13, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #79 of 114
I cannot hear the 16k tone. But I can hear the 17, 18 and 19k tones quite clear. 20 and above and all I can hear are my computer noises again. So what do Iput in the poll?

Strange thing though, I did simular tests before and I don't remember having this. So hopefully it's the laptop I'm on.

Jun 13, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #80 of 114
I can hear the 18khz tone so well, that it makes me cringe when it starts. However, it's a rapid dropoff from there. I can barely hear the 19khz tone and I'm pretty sure that I'm not hearing 20khz at all. I'm doing my listening a less than ideal room, filled with the noise of loud computer fans and hard drives, but I still doubt that I could clearly hear 20khz in even a quiet room.

Jun 13, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #81 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteShadow
I am 16, I can hear up to 25,000 Hz.

same here

Jun 13, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #82 of 114
I can hear the 19,000 one but not the 20,000. I'm sure I can hear noises higher pitched than the 19,000 tone in other situations though (like dodgy TVs or PSUs).

Maybe my equipment isn't up to it? WinAMP kernel streaming -> Philips Ultimate Edge -> Creek OHB-11 -> Sennheiser HD495

Oh well, I'm only 26
orphsmile.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #83 of 114
I can hear the 19,000 one but not the 20,000. I'm sure I can hear noises higher pitched than the 19,000 tone in other situations though (like dodgy TVs or PSUs).

Maybe my equipment isn't up to it? WinAMP kernel streaming -> Philips Ultimate Edge -> Creek OHB-11 -> Sennheiser HD495

Oh well, I'm only 26
orphsmile.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #84 of 114
Using the NHC tone generator I could hear up to about 19k. But I had a lot more fun playing a slow tone sweep from 18k to 100 listening for peaks and troughs in my heaphones. There was a HUGE one in my K-340's that I hadn't noticed before at around 15k. Very cool. You guys should try it out.

Jun 13, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #85 of 114
I am surprised nobody mentioned this, and we are already at the fifth page, but... Have you considered if your equipment is able to reproduce these tones? I mean, a cd player won't go beyond 20 kHz (if you burn the tones in a cd), IEMs won't give any output beyond 16 kHz, the Iaudio x5L headphone out drops down very fast right before 20 kHz...

I have some test tones from the German magazine "AUDIO", they go up to 20 kHz. I used the cd with my Azur 640 cd player and amp, and plugged my Sennheiser HD650. I could hear up to 17 kHz. And after I head that test tone, I did not regret I could not hear any higher!
eek.gif

Regards,

Alberto

Jun 13, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #86 of 114
At 19000 I was able to hear clearly via some crappy computer desktop speakers.....and at the same time I saw that winamp equalizer indicated a sound of a single frequency was played. However, when I tried the 20k sample, I could not hear a thing, and that winamp equalizer didn't show any sound playing. What does this mean?
confused.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #87 of 114
Yes - the source will really matter. On my early variant of the Alf USB DAC, I can barely hear the test tone generated in Audicity at 17000kHz, but I can hear up to 19500 quite easily with a TDA1541A NOS USB DAC- which is surprising, because non-oversampling designs are supposed to to really roll off the high end frequencies. The headphones I use also have some impact. With my K701s I can hear slightly higher frequencies than I can with my HD580s.

That said, I think that this will encourage me to keep the volumes down, and it's making me wish I hadn't listened through my headphones so loudly when I was 15.
frown.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #88 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nrbelex
Check this out. In response to a story about kids being able to hear sounds adults cannot, the above test was created. Very cool. Unfortunately, I only go up to 19,000 Hz. How high can you go? Does it really matter for music listening?

~ Brett

EDIT:

Because of the concerns, I recreated in Audacity under no special settings:

settings.JPG

settingsII.JPG

... the tones below. There's very little crackling (some since the LAME encoder is having trouble with this strange stuff) but Audacity seems to be refusing to go above 20,000Hz...

10KHz
11KHz
12KHz
13KHz
14KHz
15KHz
16KHz
17KHz
18KHz
19KHz
20KHz

Good luck!

P.S. The tones sound different when played in Audacity pre-export and after so I still can't attest to their veracity. The best thing to do is download (free) Audacity yourself and try it out with the easy "Tone Generator".

I see you edited your post. Anyway I can't hear 16Khz and 20Khz. The rest I can. My only justification for this is that I might have damaged my hearing when I accidently blasted my ears. Can anyone explain this? I have only blasted my ears with loud music 3 times(it was accompanied with ringing). Did I lose those frequencies from just 3 blasts?

Jun 13, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #89 of 114
In this thread I can hear the 17000 but it sounds lower than the 15000. In that other thread using a tone generator installed in my computer I can't hear anything over 12000.

I am assuming that self applied audio tests are highly inaccurate. There is no standard sound card, player or headphone in use here. Any one of which can greatly effect the outcome. None of our equipment has been tested for compliance with the standards used by professional audiologists. This is all assuming that one of these signal generators is correct which could be a bad assumption on my part.
But hey this was fun even if the only enjoyment I got was driving the wife crazy with the tones.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back