Test your headphones' speed
Jul 14, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #16 of 47
I'm telling you, the effect is there no matter what. Go to a music masteriing forum and ask those guys about it. They'll have an explanation. No doubt, some headphones will pick it up better than others though. Guarantee it has nothing to do with headphones speed. Look at the post where he mentioned how intense it was on k81's. We all know those arent known for their speedy response.

Jul 14, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #17 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, do you think the different distortion coming from the 650 and MS2i might be because the 650 has more bass? I noticed when I EQ the bass down on my GS1k the distortion is still audible but it's reduced a bit.

No I do not think it is the extra bass. On the 650s I can clearly hear the details better where on the MS-2i I can hear the sound but it lack the detail to determine what the sound is.

I have always though the 650s were more detailed than my MS-2i. But this might not be detail at all. The Senns could be slower.

It is concerning that I can not hear it on my speakers. Either it is a problem common to headphones or my current speaker set-up does not have the detail to hear the sine change?

Jul 14, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #18 of 47
export the kick and sinewave separately for me, I want to play!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its probably a psycho-acoustic drop out thats happening with your
brains attention going from tracking one tone to a tone and
a pulse.

Try mixing the tone panned hard in one ear and the kick
panned hard in the other and see what happens.

It is, the thing that happens with the sinewave is exactly the same through all my headphones.

If you don't think it's psychological try to focus ONLY on the sinewave, if you can focus really well you hear that the sine wave is exactly the same through the whole sample, with no changes in freq.

Jul 14, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthetiX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm telling you, the effect is there no matter what. Go to a music masteriing forum and ask those guys about it. They'll have an explanation. No doubt, some headphones will pick it up better than others though. Guarantee it has nothing to do with headphones speed. Look at the post where he mentioned how intense it was on k81's. We all know those arent known for their speedy response.

What I meant by speed was that they *aren't* fast enough. That makes sense that the K81 distorts more since it would be slower and therefore wouldn't be able to keep up with both signals at once. Ofcourse this is just my theory so far, I would love if someone could explain the reason why it happens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by James63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is concerning that I can not hear it on my speakers. Either it is a problem common to headphones or my current speaker set-up does not have the detail to hear the sine change?

Certainly, I very much doubt your speakers lack details
tongue.gif
If it's worse on the K81 this is pretty much ruled out, as I'm sure your B&Ws have more detail than them.

Quote:

export the kick and sinewave separately for me, I want to play!
smily_headphones1.gif

Here they are, rendered individually straight from the track without modification:
Kick (~5Mb)
Sine (~5Mb)

It seems like it's IMD but does anyone know what actually causes it? Not enough transient speed? Diaphragm rigidity?

Jul 14, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #22 of 47
b0dhi do you play cs?!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #23 of 47
Quote:

untitled3pm0.jpg

Closer view:
untitled5mm5.jpg

Oh
blink.gif
is that the sine wave? But how can I concentrate to the point that I don't hear it?? I guess my concentration makes me hear what I was expecting, even if it was wrong! God damn this "placebo" is strong.

Jul 14, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by judas391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
b0dhi do you play cs?!
smily_headphones1.gif

lol What. I play fear combat
tongue.gif
Where is this coming from?

A closer view to see the waveform:

testwave.GIF

Jul 14, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #25 of 47
Well I took the test and it must be inaccurate because my UR20 was the fastest of all headphones and in reality it takes two months to respond to anything.

Jul 15, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #26 of 47
oh there's a really awesome css player who calls himself bodhi, he's a real professional with a salary and everything

Jul 15, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh
blink.gif
is that the sine wave? .

umm yah, it's the sine and the kicks...

If you filter the kicks in an audio editor the sinewave remains constant.

...heres the verdict VIA spectral analysis..
speedtstzn0.jpg

As you can see here the sine is not effected.
skxr0.gif

from kvr

Jul 15, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #28 of 47
Isn't this just distortion? More noticeable on single drivers, aka headphones, and less noticeable on two-way setups. Three ways should totally nullify the effect, since the crossovers are separating the signal...

Ply

Jul 15, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #29 of 47
EsthetiX, what cans did you test this out on? Maybe I'm just a dunce with subtle Hz shifts, but I'm not noticing the effect on my Equation RP-21. since you've got a pair, it makes me wonder what your take is.

Jul 15, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #30 of 47
i hear it on every headphone I have... even my KRK monitors. It's subtle but its there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back