Test of pro headphone amplifiers :Lake People wins
Mar 17, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #16 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, I think these amps are simple and expensive for what they are...but they only use high quality components(except for the 5532 opamps, but luckily they're on sockets
rolleyes.gif
), and the cases look really neat in their consumer serie. OTOH, the Pro serie would appear to have a much higher bang for bucks ratio if you don't need a nice case.

markups are huge in the amp market anyway.

Yeah, they appear to be.

Personally, I like the simple look of the amp.
No idea if it sounds any good though...
smile.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #18 of 50
"Leeperry
Pro serie would appear to have a much higher bang for bucks ratio if you don't need a nice case.

GUTS of G100 :
http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/5...profilkmh9.jpg

GUTS of HPA V100:
Violectric by Lake People

It is obvious that VPA V100 design is not identical to G100.

I have not listened to G100 though, but as said V100 is a fine amp (and compared to other much more expensive amps it is worth every cent).

Without hearing both, one only can be falsely guessing as to what is the bang for the buck.

Correct ?

I think the real rip of is taking place in the DAC arena (some chinese DACs sound better than some fancy ridiculously priced DACs and that at 1/6 th to 1/10 th the price of stuff like Weiss !?)

Wl

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #19 of 50
Of course it's not just about the case, but you know, when you are the recording studio owner/engineer/manager and you have to do with costs and earnings, you look just for the value-for-money.

In the PRO sector marketing works in other ways.

Then I can imagine that the HPA V100 sounds better than the G100, but so slightly better that for a Studio is not worth it ... While you always find some audiophile looking for something different and (a little bit) better...

then I ask myself... Do I really need to spend MORE than the producer of the disc I will play on my stuff?

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #20 of 50
@waterlogic: good point, well it's the same "core" w/ a better quality pot and so on IMHO...but I might be -totally- wrong.

@Edoardo: it's a complicated matter unfortunately....most records from the 70's/80's literrally went through hundreds of 5532/5534...does that mean that you should listen to your music on those? especially when there's chips such as the AD797B or the LT1028A that blow them AWAY.

yes you'll be listening to stuff the engineers at that time didn't even know existed, c'est la vie.

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #22 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thomann has it cheaper than the manufacturer.

You are right. Thomann UK cyber shop - looks VAT is lower than in Germany plus they get very good shipping cost rates.

Personally I bought it from Lake People from Germany - I do not know, but I always try to buy from the source if possible, besides the Lake People responded lightning fast to my emails.

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #23 of 50
Lake People and Violectric gear is hand-made in Germany.
The employees of the company earn sufficent money with their work
so that nobody of them is forced to have a second or third job after work.
They live in condos with a roof on top, they have enough to eat,
their children can go to quiet good schools for free and they can count
on a reliable public transportation system or own cars.

Beneath a 25 years experience with lots of (outstanding) products which have to be developed,
this is also what the customer pays for.

Everybody may feel free to buy his stuff in the far east
but nobody should cry afterwards when suddenly his job own job is obsolete.

In the past Lake People products often were judged as:
working perfectly - looks like a fridge.

Violectric was the answer for people who demanded more.
Please note that the case of V100 is more expensive than the entire G100.
Moreover V100 has selected semi-conductors, "musical caps" in the signal path,
more smoothing capacity, Pre-Gain adjustable from the outside and
more space inside for optimized signal tracing.

The technical base of all these headphone amps is not as "simple" as claimed in some posts.
All amps are working with 60 volt supply voltage (+/-30 volt split supply)
what is hard to find in other designs. So the output voltage reaches 20 Veff / +28 dBu.
This is essential to drive high impedance cans - see posts of "waterlogic".

Here is the (translated) conclusion of a review (source: Violectric / Press):

" My hearing test proved in practically every discipline clear advantages for the Violectric HPA V200.
It showed very exactly illustrated transients, delivered clean impulses in the area of low frequencies and was convincing with much finer details and an outlined, defined bass reproduction. My other amplifiers pointed out blurred transients which tended to be pulled wide in the time domain
and decreased impulses discernible without strain, also with deep frequency which sounded rather spongy.
In the same manner a clearly better localisation on the stereobase, a more differentiated picture of the acoustical rooms and progressive depth rates revealed from the V200.
To say it with a sentence, the V200 simply sounded classes better (compared to the headphone outputs of a CD player and the Benchmark DAC), comprehensible under any circustances with both headphones (Beyerdynamic DT880 / Ultrasone edition 8).
I had the impression to put on a better headphone together with the Violectric product."

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #24 of 50
Curious if anyone heard heard both the G100 and V200/V100?

Sep 17, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #25 of 50
There is a (german) review covering Lake People´s G95, G100 and Violectric V90, V100, V200
I could send this by emai.
If you are interested, please write me a PM.

Greetz

Mar 19, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #28 of 50
Its really beautiful piece of equipment thinking about the sound obviously, and don't want to repeat what others have said already but the one thing striked me the most. I have esi juli@ which is my listening card, xi fi for mixing, OC ed Q6600, Oc ed 98000 GTX, 4gb ram  a bunch of ventilators ( 4 x 120  , 3 x 90 ) 4 hdd's, modest chieftec PSU 600W all connected over extension power outlet with monitor and mixer to one wall outlet. When I set gain at +6 db on G100 and turn volume to the end it has pitch black background like the amp was not switched on in the first place, completely stunned.

Oct 29, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #29 of 50
g100 is a great amp !
just have it since 3 days and love it !
far better than my mixer headphone output (soundcraft epm6, midas venice, digidesign 002)
lot of power, flat response, extended bandwith, big soundstage, extreme black background.
perfect with the beyer dt880.
you better like fat bass if you want to use it with a dt770.
great with akg 240DF.
can't wait to ear the violectric !!

Dec 27, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #30 of 50
Any new(er) experiences with the G100, folks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back