Tesla T1 Vs. Lcd-2rev2
Jan 6, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #76 of 97
Anyone else can share their experience with two?
I just got LCD-2.2, can't tell that I am absolutely floored esp. comparing to ATH-W5000, wondering if I should have gone T1 route.
Is that really true that they have similar to DT880 timbre, I own DT880 Premium Manufaktur 600 Ohm and really don't use them that much due to lifeless midrange and borderline too bright treble, I went through a lot of Beyer phones and none of them really wowed me, too emotionless, like clock, DT880 is the best out of the bunch (the only reason I still keep it) but still no cigar.
So is T1 just a slightly better cut of the same meat?

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #77 of 97
if you didn't like the dt 880 but could enjoy them if they had slighter warmer mids and a bit more bass, you would like the T1's. if you really can't stand the dt 880s sound, the t1 won't be too different and you probably won't like them.

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #78 of 97
Quote:
Anyone else can share their experience with two?
I just got LCD-2.2, can't tell that I am absolutely floored esp. comparing to ATH-W5000, wondering if I should have gone T1 route.
Is that really true that they have similar to DT880 timbre, I own DT880 Premium Manufaktur 600 Ohm and really don't use them that much due to lifeless midrange and borderline too bright treble, I went through a lot of Beyer phones and none of them really wowed me, too emotionless, like clock, DT880 is the best out of the bunch (the only reason I still keep it) but still no cigar.
So is T1 just a slightly better cut of the same meat?

I had a brief listen to the Tesla1 and Raffinatos out of the SPL Auditor, and to me the W5000 were more engaging despite the Auditor huge advantge in powering the T1s. Electric guitars had more bite and doble bass was snappier with comparable impact. Woman vocals (don't remember the dinger anymore unfortunately) were also gorgeously layered with more presence, T1's only had a slightly larger staging and better balanced across overall. So if the DT880 is the closest to the T1 in voicing and you don't like them, don't bother looking further in Beyerland.

Btw, I also compared the W5000s to the LCD2 Rev1, and prefered the former, by even larger margin. I do still miss the Raffinto's nuanced forward  intimacy on special occasions.
atsmile.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #79 of 97
Quote:
I had a brief listen to the Tesla1 and Raffinatos out of the SPL Auditor, and to me the W5000 were more engaging despite the Auditor huge advantge in powering the T1s. Electric guitars had more bite and doble bass was snappier with comparable impact. Woman vocals (don't remember the dinger anymore unfortunately) were also gorgeously layered with more presence, T1's only had a slightly larger staging and better balanced across overall. So if the DT880 is the closest to the T1 in voicing and you don't like them, don't bother looking further in Beyerland.

Btw, I also compared the W5000s to the LCD2 Rev1, and prefered the former, by even larger margin. I do still miss the Raffinto's nuanced forward  intimacy on special occasions.
atsmile.gif

No kidding, W5000 are my reference phones. Out of GS-1 with new Dynalo+ modules it's a sonic bliss. LCD-2.2 sounded quite disappointing in direct comparison, congested and lacking air and details.
But after a couple of hours they started growing on me, I believe. Still not quite sure I've made the right choice, so far nothing earth shattering.

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #80 of 97
Quote:
if you didn't like the dt 880 but could enjoy them if they had slighter warmer mids and a bit more bass, you would like the T1's. if you really can't stand the dt 880s sound, the t1 won't be too different and you probably won't like them.

Hmm, I am afraid I was on the mark with my suspicions. Headroom comparions graph doesn't look very encouraging, if there is any value in these chart, they have almost identical timbre.

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #81 of 97
looking at frequency response is not so informative about the timbre, i mean for bass u dont know how much air it really moves, for mids and highs it doesnt show how fast the cans r, the decay etc.

u would say that the hd650 are colder by this graph but they r way much warmer and bassy then the bds r, boomboxes actually in comparison, boom boom literally, veiled by the air they move in the low frequencies, and slowness of the driver, and shape of the diaphragm

there is so much more to it than just a fr graph

EDIT: ah almost forgot.. the t1 have superb midbass and mids, highs r on the same level, i wouldnt say sparky, but more like, they r there and as much involving and present as the rest of the band, bass might not be experienced as visceral by someone who is used to more coloring cans but is certainly not recessed or uninvolving, everything is so evenly involving, transparent,creating a great transparent and involving soundstage, one more time... involving : )

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #82 of 97
Quote:
looking at frequency response is not so informative about the timbre, i mean for bass u dont know how much air it really moves, for mids and highs it doesnt show how fast the cans r, the decay etc.

u would say that the hd650 are colder by this graph but they r way much warmer and bassy then the bds r, boomboxes actually in comparison, boom boom literally, veiled by the air they move in the low frequencies, and slowness of the driver, and shape of the diaphragm

there is so much more to it than just a fr graph

EDIT: ah almost forgot.. the t1 have superb midbass and mids, highs r on the same level, i wouldnt say sparky, but more like, they r there and as much involving and present as the rest of the band, bass might not be experienced as visceral by someone who is used to more coloring cans but is certainly not recessed or uninvolving, everything is so evenly involving, transparent,creating a great transparent and involving soundstage, one more time... involving : )

I understand what you are saying, after spending a couple of hours today reading all T1/DT880 comparative impressions and reviews I could find seems like the general agreement that even that T1 is an improvement in some areas they still share the same Beyer house sound with cold and distant (relatively) midrange and elevated treble. Some people actually prefer that midrange "neutrality", afraid I am more of mids-head and prefer something more lush and warm there.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #86 of 97
i don't know why i didn't like the W5000s myself. i owned them for a while but didn't really enjoy them. they where off-sounding, lacked the detail of the T1/HD800/LCD-2, and had no bass. i liked my d7000 much more.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #87 of 97
Quote:
i don't know why i didn't like the W5000s myself. i owned them for a while but didn't really enjoy them. they where off-sounding, lacked the detail of the T1/HD800/LCD-2, and had no bass. i liked my d7000 much more.

Your not alone, there are fair few people here that owned the W5000 at one stage did not like it. Your impressions mirrors that of David Mahler's, if you have read his massive comparison thread of the can's he owns.

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #88 of 97
yeah, i've read his comparison several times and agree on the same points he does.

i tried to like them, i really did, and while they aren't a terrible headphone, i feel for their price, and considering the other ATH models, they should sound much better (it wasn't even the bass or tonality, it was just their grainy kinda congested sound, they just didn't sound as open and clean as they should sound). if they where more like 300 dollars, they'd be pretty sweet (kinda like the w1000, though not my style, they have a unique sound and i thought they where pretty good).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back