TES 4: Oblivion
Mar 23, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #61 of 173
Made my character yesterday, took a good hour. Chose a Nord under the Thief with a custom class mostly centered around Warrior skills, and some fun stuff like lockpicking/pickpocketing/summoning thrown in.

Does anyone know if the Mudcrab exists in Oblivion? I spent quite a bit of time killing the soldiers in Vivic and running their loot over to the mudcrab in the original.
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #63 of 173
Watched the DVD "making of" that came with my collector's edition. They used Beyer DT 100s for the voice recordings in London!

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:43 PM Post #64 of 173
Meh, thieving is much more difficult in this one. The shop keepers follow you everywhere, and when you lock pick a door when they are out of site you still get a guard that runs in and catches you in 20-30 seconds. I need that "turn invisible" amulet so I can get some loot
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #65 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
Meh, thieving is much more difficult in this one. The shop keepers follow you everywhere, and when you lock pick a door when they are out of site you still get a guard that runs in and catches you in 20-30 seconds. I need that "turn invisible" amulet so I can get some loot
biggrin.gif

It's actually really easy. Most stores have a basement and a private quarters. The door to one cannot be seen from next to the door to the other. So, run to one door, wait for the shopkeeper to come over, then run to the other door, stealth up before he comes back and pick the lock. When you're in lock-picking mode the game pauses. If you're successfully hidden at the time, you won't get caught, so watch your stealth indicator at all times. And don't let go of stealth once you're inside, though this may be moot.

Not sure about stealing items in the same room as the shopkeeper.

Note: I'm level 2
tongue.gif
Played only for a few hours.

And on that note: don't over-tweak. It was ridiculously easy to make yourself completely and utterly unstoppable in Morrowind. I was raiding Daedric shrines at lvl 3 and making money by stealing from the altars and killing the lvl 20ish Dremora Lords that spawned in to punish me. Now imagine this character at lvl 20! 100% legal and no character-improving third-party add-ons used, in fact, I used every single "challenge" type mod imaginable and it was still pointless.

I hope that it's not possible to make these kinds of monster characters in Oblvion, but if it is... I don't care. I'm not going to do it, since it completely ruins the game experience. My char is made not to be an unstoppable tank but purely for fun, and so far it's working out.

Exploits like the Mudcrab only hurt the game, since the very non-competitiveness of it is one of it's main attractions.

Mar 25, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #66 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Exploits like the Mudcrab only hurt the game, since the very non-competitiveness of it is one of it's main attractions.

I think selling junk to a talking crab in the middle of nowhere added character to the game.
wink.gif
It was easy enough to become unstoppable in Morrowind without the assistance of selling things to the mudcrab.

I found that at night the NPCs leave their stores, you just have to lockpick the opening without being seen and you can loot the place pretty easily. Still the weapons and armor sitting out are pretty crappy and barely worth the effort.

Mar 25, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #67 of 173
The lack of feedback when fighting is really bugging me. I can't tell how to ration my potions because I don't know when the enemy is going to finally bite the dust. These potions are expensive! Not that I've bought one, yet, but money seems hard to come by for non-thieves. The enemy consistently seems to be able to recover from staggering faster than I can, and even low level fighter types are monstrously hard to kill. Every time you try to do a power move, they'll either hit you out of it, dodge somehow, or block you for a big stagger, and every time THEY do a power move, you can't really dodge it except by backing up which moves you outside of striking distance or blocking it and getting staggered half the time besides still taking enormous damage. The only pushovers I've found so far are the low level mages who get churned into mince meat by my sword.

Oh, and the bounding box that determines whether you get hit or not is enormous. That's just not right. I have no idea whether or not I'm going to get hit, I just need to block as much as possible on the off chance that I'm in range.

Mar 25, 2006 at 3:57 AM Post #68 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
The lack of feedback when fighting is really bugging me. I can't tell how to ration my potions because I don't know when the enemy is going to finally bite the dust. These potions are expensive! Not that I've bought one, yet, but money seems hard to come by for non-thieves. The enemy consistently seems to be able to recover from staggering faster than I can, and even low level fighter types are monstrously hard to kill. Every time you try to do a power move, they'll either hit you out of it, dodge somehow, or block you for a big stagger, and every time THEY do a power move, you can't really dodge it except by backing up which moves you outside of striking distance or blocking it and getting staggered half the time besides still taking enormous damage. The only pushovers I've found so far are the low level mages who get churned into mince meat by my sword.

Oh, and the bounding box that determines whether you get hit or not is enormous. That's just not right. I have no idea whether or not I'm going to get hit, I just need to block as much as possible on the off chance that I'm in range.

The golden half circle thing above the crosshairs is the enemies health meter, when it's gone so are they.

Mar 25, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #69 of 173
Yeah, I realize that but it's not very helpful when there are more than one enemy or when you are trying to attack from long distance or backpeddling like mad because you're getting your bottom stomped. Are you guys having any luck going on the offensive with a warrior type? I just get blocked every time I'm not counterattacking.

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #70 of 173
Some recommendations for the warrior type:

I find that sneaking works pretty well if you are attacking one enemy at a time. You can get some nice bonuses (ie: 6x damage) and the shot won't be blocked. Only problem is you can't move too quick when crouching if your discovered, so you have to stand up right away and start hacking on them.

Also larger swords have a longer range of attack so you can stand a little further away while your attacking. Always make sure your weapon is in good shape by keeping a few repair hammers with you. They don't do as much damage when they are beat up.

I know what you mean about the potions, I went through like 11-12 of them in the last quest. I gotta get my intelligence up so I can get a decent health regen spell. The one I have now restores like 10% of your health at a time, it's almost pointless.

I just finished shutting the first gate, and raiding every cave along the way. Clearing out the town was a little difficult because of the dinosaur things that took a long time to kill. Theres a small quest in the nearby cave to the NE, where a farmer goes to give an offering to a god, "the sunken one" or something like that.

Mar 25, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #71 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Yeah, I realize that but it's not very helpful when there are more than one enemy or when you are trying to attack from long distance or backpeddling like mad because you're getting your bottom stomped. Are you guys having any luck going on the offensive with a warrior type? I just get blocked every time I'm not counterattacking.

I'm having no trouble being a Warrior. It's about carefully blocking them, and then hitting back. As well, the lunging attacks (holding down the attack while running forward) often daze enemies.

Mar 25, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #72 of 173
Right, it's ironic that the warrior always has to be on the defensive. I mean sure, against a tough enemy, but against every single guy with armor? I'm about to become a gladiator in the arena and most of the fights with armored guys are frustrating as heck.

I may need to work on my intelligence as well, it's pretty low, in the 40's I think. I've got a spell that does 25hp but it drains most of my magicka, so it's still useless.

Mar 25, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #73 of 173
Why play Oblivion when Factions is coming out in 3 days??? That's the game I want to play!!!:p
Slade

Mar 25, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #74 of 173
Just yesterday I blew a pile on a super 360 and Oblivion. I haven't done consoles before, so its gonna take me a long time to learn the controller and all.
The x-box was super hard to find at best buy, but I suppose that 5c is an OK price.

Back in the day, I enjoyed Daggerfall, but that game was VERY buggy. You really needed to save every two minutes or so and a lot of story lines and features were simply missing.

Morrowind was great, and cleared up a lot of these problems. I agree some character features were too powerful. Summoning enchantments, for example. It is not that hard for a level 10 or so character to work up a big mob of creatures--enough to wear down almost any boss.
I don't see, however, how a level 3 character could clean up. Perhaps with a lot of prior knowledge of easily sneakable loot?

For those who found it hard to get around in morrowind, y'all missed this trick:

Levitation enchantment!! With a lot of this, you can basically put yourself into orbit--too high even for those pesky pterodon jobbers and navigate the whole continent using the map. Then you can reenter the atmosphere like a space shuttle, land on a nice big rock and clean out all exterior life forms with ranged weapons/magic.

I haven't played Oblivion yet, but it looks like they've taken out the levitate and easy enchantments.
tongue.gif
mad.gif
tongue.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 12:52 AM Post #75 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
I don't see, however, how a level 3 character could clean up. Perhaps with a lot of prior knowledge of easily sneakable loot?

No loot theft required, though I did do some. It's all about abusing character creation to the max, and taking some time to tweak before you set out.

Here's what I did:

High Elf under the Atronach, custom starting class that was mostly stealth/combat based, but in the long run, I was going for a magic character, so primary attributes were Int/Will (I think... don't remember). Because none of the magic skills were primary, I could level them without leveling up. Mana was absolutely insane because of the HE + Atronach bonus, but base stats weren't, so if I wanted to do real damage, I'd have to do damage over time type spells.

So, train up alchemy to get money, use money to train up magic skills, then make custom DoTs and drain speed, while fortifying your own speed as much as you can.

Then use hit & run tactics. Shoot DoT then run around. When you do this at higher difficulties, it gets tough since enemies are much faster and do much more damage, which is why you need the speed drain/boost spells.

End result: kill anything at lvl 3. From here on out, you're so far ahead of the power curve that everything becomes pointless.

No exploits/cheats used, everything 100% legal. No stolen loot, though it was so easy that I did it anyway (afterwards).

Needless to say, I'm not doing anything of the sort in Oblivion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back