TES 4: Oblivion
Mar 18, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #16 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
haha i collect lamps and candles too but not that much. truth is the reason i'm attracted to morrowind is because of its pantheology and the harsh landscape/climate, which doesnt sound right for some people.

so i guess oblivion will be more pleasing to the eyes, thats okay, i just hope they dont downsize the map and the gameplay for consoles. now that i think about it consoles are so powerful anyway, they better not. its probably going to be harder because the AI it boast is so good. its said to be able to pick locks and steal, that would be bad if a NPC find my ingame hidden stash. this is just my guess though i dont know how the game is going to be.

Actually Peter Hines from Bethesda has stated that they have prevented AI from stealing from you directly (the reasoning is because they felt that it just looked like the game was broken and it opened up a whole can of worms that disbalanced gameplay.) So don't have to worry about any burglars robbing you. Of course bandits are another story I bet
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #17 of 173
Looking forward to TES Oblivion here as well. The 360 is perfectly suited to handle a game of this magnitude; it almost seems like it was designed with this game in mind.

I'm currently playing GRAW on my 360, but I've had difficulty really getting into it so far. At some point today I think I'm just going to sit down and play, b/c so far I've only been playing a bit at a time and it's been hard to get immersed in the game.

Mar 18, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #18 of 173
Yeah, those were the days when you had to use your imagination and not be spoon fed everything
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by androgeny
Bethesda has stated that Oblivion will be 16sq miles, which is a bit bigger than Morrowind was. Honestly, the real beefs I had with Morrowind's size were related to the fact that you had to walk *around* the hills/mountains in order to get anywhere. I really liked the exploration aspect of it, even though it started feeling a lot like a single player MMO.

The previous TES titles *were* ridiculously large, but didn't have the content necessary to make it worthwhile to explore. Everything looked the same, from towns to NPCs. For my money, I'd rather have a moderately large game full of great content than an enormously huge, bland game.

It looks like the vampire aspect of Oblivion is going to be very cool. I don't know if you guys got infected in Morrowind, but it wasn't exactly the most well-implemented system. I won't spoil anything, but it may actually be possible to roleplay a vampire for a long period of time in Oblivion.

The wait's almost over.

Mar 19, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #20 of 173
im a long time crpg fan ever since bg1, been waiting for oblivion with anticipation ever since its announcement.. if it looks as good as the trailers then im expecting not only months of playtime but gorgeous gorgeous mods.. morrowind modding community was awesome and if they carry on to tes4 engine it will be spectacular. im kinda worried tho about how its going to handle my sound card (which is not a x-fi so no eax). anyone know if bethesda is supporting/requiring eax based sound cards? I may have to sell my emu1212 for a fatality.

Mar 19, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #21 of 173
Quote:

Originally Posted by SennFan
Looking forward to TES Oblivion here as well. The 360 is perfectly suited to handle a game of this magnitude; it almost seems like it was designed with this game in mind.

I'm currently playing GRAW on my 360, but I've had difficulty really getting into it so far. At some point today I think I'm just going to sit down and play, b/c so far I've only been playing a bit at a time and it's been hard to get immersed in the game.

GRAW's tough, man! Steep learning curve, I tell ya... I just finished one of the solo missions. No team, just me and a sniper rifle.

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:12 PM Post #23 of 173
GRAW is tough. It's the first time I've played a "realistic" shooter. I'm used to blazing guns and shields. It took me a bit to get used to the stealth/strategy aspect of the game, but I've got it now. I'm about half way through I think.

This game is good.

Mar 20, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #26 of 173
The official forums are going crazy with people who can't get the game today. Apparently, there was some confusion between "Shipping" and "Selling" - some stores have been selling Oblivion today (Monday) while others are reporting that it is illegal for them to sell until tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Yeah, those were the days when you had to use your imagination and not be spoon fed everything

I still haven't played a game that bested Ultima V. You were actually able to get into very involved conversations with people, or at least it felt that way. Granted, the whole "NAME/JOB" thing got old. I really really miss the days where you actually had to figure out for yourself what words were important in a conversation.

The best modern RPG I've played was Planescape:Torment. As far as I'm concerned, no other game has ever fleshed out NPC party members as well as Torment. I was actually a little emotional at the end.

As far as immersion, I'll have to go with Gothic 1. Gothic's view distance was ridiculous for the time. I remember coming down that initial ravine and seeing the castle for the first time. I stopped and looked around for some ledges to climb so I could get a better view. It's a shame Gothic's control scheme was so strange; I think a lot of gamers were extremely put off by it.

Oblivion has some very big shoes to fill, including the shoes left by Morrowind. If Oblivion is able to live up to the hype, we may see a resurgence of the CRPG, something that's been a long time coming.

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #28 of 173
Called EB today, and got a buddy holding me a copy tomorrow when they come in.

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #29 of 173
Morrowind was fun for about 2 weeks, until you are done with the exploration and find out just exactly how horribly abusable and exploitable the RPG system is, at which point there is no longer any challenge in anything.

Morrowind violated the old rule of quality vs. quantity of content. More content doesn't necessarily mean a better game, if each individual component isn't well designed. Morrowind had a ton of NPC's, but they were all the same. It has a lot of quests but none of them were especially interesting. It had a combat system that was completely and utterly superficial, where the dice determined everything. Skill advancement through repetition is a really dumb idea, since to advance your skills you'll basically have to stand there spamming whatever ability you are using over and over and over...

It sounds to me that Oblivion has really tried to address many of these issues, which is why I'm looking forward to it. Frankly, my favorite single-player RPG thus far has been Gothic (1 and 2), and from what I've read, Oblivion seems to have taken a page out of Gothic's book. I'm definitely all in favor of that. Gothic didn't have as much content as Morrowind in terms of quantity, but the quality was far, far better.

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #30 of 173
Unfortunately, Gothic had serious qc and interface problems that made it unplayable for me. Way way too clunky for me to waste my time on, there's just not enough of it to go around. I agree, Morrowind's quests were no good. TS4 looks like a good step back into ts2's direction. Not that I ever went through with that, either
tongue.gif
It simply wasn't the point of the game, for me. Might be worth it, this time, though. A sand box game has to be enormous, and that's what daggerfall was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back