Terrorist attack
Sep 11, 2001 at 9:44 PM Post #76 of 272
First off, I don't think I have any right for true hatred.

But those people dancing around Neruda? I understand that they have been through a lot in their lives, but you never saw nor will see me dancing around about people being killed.

Redshifter: I hope your family is doing fine and I hope you hear from them soon.

I'm sure I'll be back later...

Sep 11, 2001 at 9:45 PM Post #77 of 272
Quote:

Bootman, Skippy, Apheared, Huy, we are glad you guys checked in

Thanks guys, but I just witnessed the horror from afar. I wasn't at "ground zero" like the rest of the guys.

And if anyone can, please give blood even if you are not Type O. Every bit helps!

Sep 11, 2001 at 9:52 PM Post #78 of 272
And I'm alright. I had to walk over one of the bridges (sorry my mind is messed up right now) to take the subway home. I was able to see the rising smoke columns from where the Twin Towers once stood. I just saw support tower 7 fall down on the news. A lot of my co-workers couldn't come to work today obviously, the ones who came later than us actually saw the planes crashing into the towers. I was underground on the subway when it happened, didn't know until I got to work. This is simpley the most horrific thing I have ever experienced, even if I have no friends working anywhere near ground zero, I feel so much pain for how many innocent people have died. I can barely contain myself, this devastation hit so close. My prayers to everyone who has suffered.

Michael Leung

Sep 11, 2001 at 9:53 PM Post #79 of 272
It's probably pointless to defend myself. But try to understand that things like this happen worldwide; the only reason that this seems worse is because it's so close to home. I'm horrified, just like everyone else. But I'm also trying to make sure that everyone understands the hell that the people in the middle east have endured. Besides, how many Americans were dancing in the streets when Hiroshima and Nagasaki were bombed? Was that okay? is it only right when it's not us?

God, I wish things like this didn't happen. My hands won't stop shaking. There's new footage of the buildings dropping, as well as the second plane colliding with one of the towers. it's simply awful.
frown.gif

Sep 11, 2001 at 9:57 PM Post #80 of 272
MSNBC’s Martin Wolk was in the Trade Center
when it was struck by hijacked planes

By Martin Wolk
MSNBC

NEW YORK, Sept. 11 — I was in the World Trade Center when every New Yorker’s worst nightmare came true. I was in the grand ballroom of the Marriott Hotel, attending a conference by the National Association of Business Economists when the crystal chandeliers shook, there was a loud bang and the floor shook. Everyone ran out — there were people screaming everywhere. A commercial airliner had struck the 110-story building.

I WENT OUT THE side door. Initially I thought it was a car accident. Then I looked up and saw Tower One of the World Trade Center in flames. It was clear there were hundreds of casualties. Everyone was on cell phones.
I’d lost my cell phone and laptop computer when I ran out the building. I went over to the Hudson River.
After I called in to my editor from 3 World Trade Center across the street, there was another wave of panic and people were running everywhere.
I went outside and saw Tower Two had been hit, right about in the middle. For a while, I just stared and watched with the other survivors as the tower burned.
As I was watching, I heard a gasp and an “Oh no!” Someone had just jumped or fallen from the top of Tower One. I saw three more people fall from the Tower One.

There were people injured on the street, probably hit by falling debris. I kept walking, looking for a phone.
Around 9:40 a.m. ET or so, there was another wave of rescue vehicles rushing downtown.
I talked to some people who saw the second plane hit Tower Two.
I was about a quarter of a mile away when I heard people scream. I looked back and saw Tower Two was gone, and the sky was filled with plumes of smoke.

I eventually made it up to Greenwich Village, where a man named John Roccosalva was kind enough to let me and other survivors use the telephone and get a glass of badly needed water in his tiny studio apartment.
Another man, Harvey Schonbrun, who works at the brokerage firm Cantor Fitzgerald, had been on the 78th floor of Tower One when the first plane hit. He said “everything went black, I was thrown to the floor.” He said he had crawled to the hall and to the stairwell. Another man, Brian Conlon, was on the 37th floor. He was a survivor of the previous World Trade Center bombing. He said he was 15 flights down by the time the alarms began sounding.

I left the apartment and went to St. Vincents Hospital in Greenwich Village about a half mile north of the Trade Center where the scene was one of barely controlled chaos. Police are asking for volunteers to direct traffic and move vehicles. Hundreds of people are lined up to donate blood. Hospital officials say they have taken 112 casualties, no fatalities. That, of course, is just one hospital of dozens or scores in the area.
St. Vincent’s said they had taken in 184 casualties, and two had died. Several others were “gravely injured” by burns or smoke inhalation, a hospital spokesman he said. St. Vincent’s is one of two major trauma hospital’s handling the most severely injured victims.
More than 500 people lined up to donate blood outside the hospital. Finally, a phalanx of half-a-dozen city buses lined up to take them to another location where they could handle the blood donations.
Police and volunteers are directing traffic on every corner in this part of Lower Manhattan, and emergency vehicles of every kind are screaming by, six hours after the first attack. The blue sky is eerily quiet and empty, except for the occasional roar of a fighter jet overhead.
I can’t describe what it feels like to look to the south from Greenwich Village and see blue sky where the two towers once stood. New Yorkers are in mourning, and I know many share the feeling in the pit of my stomach — like a part of our body has been ripped away.
And how do I describe a mass murder with so many hundreds of witnesses and survivors? I can only tell my story.

Sep 11, 2001 at 10:05 PM Post #81 of 272
Neruda: I think everyone knows the point you're trying to make. It's just that.......no one cares.

And for good reason - IT IS A TIME TO BEGIN THE HEALING PROCESS. Not to bitch and whine or anything like that about what Americans did that was wrong decades ago, or anything like that.

No one cares.

The fact is, thousands of people are dead, walking wounded, wounded, or simply traumatized/lacking a family member. And that is what we need to remember. Not whether people danced in the streets after Hiroshima.

Just my take......

Let's all keep praying.....

Motorola HQ, in Schaumburg, said ANYONE can go home ANYTIME, just to let y'all kno - my mom's on her way home......

frown.gif

Sep 11, 2001 at 10:06 PM Post #82 of 272
Quote:

please, please don't hate the people celebrating in the middle east. You don't know who they are or what
they've been through in their own lives. They've had it hard enough. They're far away from what
happened in the US; they don't feel our pain. Just like we don't feel their pain when their homes are
bombed. Please don't hate them.

Right on, Neruda.

This isn't a time for hatred. This is a time for understanding. Maybe by our understanding of other's pain, others will understand ours. Hate and hatefull knee-jerk reactions will never accomplish that. The Palestinians have endured a century of oppression and descrimination, not to mention watching their lands taken away from them at gunpoint. Their anger is real. What they are doing now is exactly what you're doing- venting. Don't hate them, urge calm, urge understanding.

I don't ask you to agree with them (or me), but just to urge understanding (as much as is possible in this difficult time).

my heart goes out to victims and families of victims of this horrific tradgedy.

Sep 11, 2001 at 10:13 PM Post #83 of 272
There may have been strikes already in Afghanistan according to CNN. Tracer fire could be seen going up, and the CNN correspondent said it seemed like there was a strike beginning (and then subsiding). He said it seemed like an ammunition dump may have been one of the first targets, but it has quieted down.

Not sure exactly what is going on, but perhaps the first in what is likely to be a series of relatiatory strikes has begun. I have a feeling there will be a very serious retaliation.

Sep 11, 2001 at 10:28 PM Post #85 of 272
Look Neruda, your heart's in the right place, but like coolvij said, very few people are ready to hear it. Time, time is necessary for everybody to heal and cool down. This is also exactly the reason why absolutely no knee-jerk military actions should happen.

BTW, I consider your argument about Americans dancing over Nagasaki pointless, because two wrongs do not make a right. Anybody cheering innocents being slaughtered is in the wrong, regardless of race/gender/nationality/past experiences/etc...

This is one of the things that is fundamentally wrong w/ the world today, people seem to want to lower the bar instead of raising it.

Sep 11, 2001 at 10:30 PM Post #86 of 272
thanks for the prayers folks. my father just called and the family is alright. my sister was somewhere in the city when it happened, but she is okay--badly shaken, but okay. everything feels so unreal right now. nobody around me seems to be taking this seriously... i just don't understand. maybe its because they're all younger then me...

gotta go to a meeting now. then i'm going home and baracading myself in with my cd1700 and a bottle of becks.

i really hope they find whoever did this and SHOW the world nobody, NOBODY does this to the us and gets away with it.

Sep 11, 2001 at 10:34 PM Post #87 of 272
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
thanks for the prayers folks. my father just called and the family is alright. my sister was somewhere in the city when it happened, but she is okay--badly shaken, but okay. everything feels so unreal right now. nobody around me seems to be taking this seriously... i just don't understand. maybe its because they're all younger then me...

redshifter, thank God your family is okay!

Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
i really hope they find whoever did this and SHOW the world nobody, NOBODY does this to the us and gets away with it.

Amen.

Sep 11, 2001 at 10:34 PM Post #88 of 272
I've been watching this nightmare unfold on CNN since it first started this morning. Don't know what to say. It came on TV as my business partner and myself were having breakfast in a restaurant. The first thing my partner said after the magnitude of it all had sunk in was, " I feel like punching the first Arab I see in the face."

While probably a natural reaction, it is definately not the solution to this disaster. We must make sure our anger is vented against only the perpetrators of these acts. To randomly seek revenge on anyone who happens to be from a certain country is wrong and makes us no better than the small group of bastards who have perpetrated this crime against humanity.

I'm full of sadness and outrage at the moment and don't really know what else to say.

Sep 11, 2001 at 10:36 PM Post #89 of 272
Hmmm what now, I hear bombings in other countries, friend told me in Afganistan itself! What the hell is going on, gets crazier and crazier... Can anyone find a source for these rumors?

Sep 11, 2001 at 10:36 PM Post #90 of 272
You just migth think that it's easy for me to say that, since I haven't been in New York in some three years. First, forgive is not like letting things happen to you, giving the other cheek. In this case, someone has to be punish, not for an act of war, but for an act of cowardice. That's the only thing that God itself would never forgive, and should be punished.
But those people in the middle east, dancing in the streets, they have no fault on what they are doing. They have been used and abused both by their leaders and their enemies for so long that they don't know better. They are like angry, violated children sticking dinamite up a dog's ass just in order to watch it explode. Just to enjoy somebody else's suffering, for a change. They have been used by terrorist leaders, religious interests and repressive governments. Understand them.

I am not telling you to let them slap you in the face and then do nothing. No, hit them, hit them hard, and then help them understand they are wrong and that you are as human as they are and treat them the way you like to be treated. And they will come for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back