Terrorist attack
Sep 12, 2001 at 2:08 AM Post #121 of 272
I'm shocked, Pissed off beyond belief, and extremely sad all at the same time. This is always too much to even think about. Once the names being to be release of those poor people who died today, and the hard numbers start to come in, it's going to feel even worst.
frown_2.gif

Here's a report on what Bush had to say :

Bush Addresses Nation on Attacks
By SANDRA SOBIERAJ, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - A grim-faced President Bush asked the nation to find comfort in Scripture as he mourned the deaths of thousands of Americans in Tuesday's atrocities and vowed to avenge their killings. ``Today, our nation saw evil,'' he said.

In his first prime-time Oval Office address, Bush said the United States would retaliate against ``those behind these evil acts,'' and any country that harbors them.

Bush spoke from the Oval Office just hours after bouncing between Florida and air bases in Louisiana and Nebraska for security reasons. Fighter jets and decoy helicopters accompanied his evening flight to Washington and the White House, where his Marine One helicopter stood vigil on the South Lawn in the event of another evacuation.

With smoke still pouring out of rubble in Washington and New York, Bush declared: ``These acts shattered steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve.''

He spoke for less than five minutes from the desk that Bill Clinton and John F. Kennedy used before him. Beside the door, a TelePrompTer operator fed Bush the words that he and his speechwriters hastened to pen just an hour earlier.

He stumbled a couple of times even as he strove to maintain a commanding air. Aides pushed an American flag and one with the presidential seal behind him for the somber occasion.

Immediately afterward, Bush joined a late-night meeting of his National Security Council and planned to remain overnight at the White House.

Bush said the government offices deserted after the bombings Tuesday would open on Wednesday

He asked the nation to pray for the families of the victims and quoted the Book of Psalms, ``And I pray they will be comforted by a power greater than any of us spoken through the ages in Psalm 23. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil for you are with me.''

The United States received no warning of the attacks on the Pentagon and New York's World Trade Center towers, White House press secretary Ari Fleischer said.

U.S. officials privately said they suspected terrorism Osama bin Laden, protected by Afghan government, was behind the tragedies. The Afghan government has rejected the accusations.

``We will make no distinction between the terrorists who committed these acts and those who harbor them,'' Bush said.

``Today, our fellow citizens, our way of life, our very freedom, came under attack in a series of deliberate and deadly terrorist acts.''

``Thousands of lives were suddenly ended by evil, despicable acts of terror,'' Bush said.

The Oval Office address was his third statement on the tragedy.

He began his day in Sarasota, Fla., where he intended to talk about education. The remarks were scrapped and Bush headed to Louisiana.

He made a brief statement from a conference room at a Louisiana military base, assuring Americans that he was in regular contact with his command post in Washington: Vice President Dick Cheney, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld and the White House national security team.

He then boarded Air Force One at 1:30 p.m. EDT for a secret destination that turned out to be Nebraska's Offutt Air Force Base, home to the U.S. Strategic Command, which controls the nation's nuclear weapons. Until three years ago, the Strategic Command also housed the so-called doomsday plane that had been specially equipped to serve as a flying White House in the event of nuclear war.

White House officials were sensitive to any appearance that Bush was not at the helm.

Fleischer said Bush wanted to be in Washington, where Cheney led the crisis operations center at the White House, but ``he understands that at a time like this, caution must be taken'' with his location.

At the first reports of attacks on New York's World Trade Center, Bush told his Sarasota elementary school audience that he was hastening back to Washington. All of that immediately changed - and he was diverted to Louisiana - when a plane slammed into the Pentagon, and Washington, too, was under attack.

On Capitol Hill, first lady Laura Bush, who was to have made her debut testifying before the Senate on education, tried to soothe a horrified nation.

``Parents need to reassure their children everywhere in our country that they're safe,'' she said, grim-faced, as she and Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., announced their hearing was postponed.

Mrs. Bush and a handful of aides were whisked by motorcade to a secret location away from the White House, which had been evacuated but for the small corps of foreign policy advisers who staffed the basement Situation Room.

Fleischer said the 19-year-old girls, Barbara at Yale University and Jenna at the University of Texas, were also moved to secure locations.

-

Associated Press writer Sonya Ross contributed to this report from Air Force One.

Sep 12, 2001 at 2:18 AM Post #122 of 272
Coolvij: Perhaps you're right. Maybe it hasn't sunken in yet. I know the world won't be the same. Where will we go from here? I know that's a rhetorical question. Freedom as we know it will be abolished in the United States. Users of PGP will be forever marked as terrorists. If we have dissenting opinions they will be replied to with a hateful "Move to Afganistan, you person." Privacy will vanish. The Libertarian nightmare will happen, instead of the Ralph Nader one that we all predicted.

It still hasn't sunken in yet.
Those ****ing BASTARDS.
They died, yet they did not suffer.
They are permanently out of our reach.
Their comrades consider them heroes.
The death of thousands is CELEBRATED in their home country, which ever one it may be.
They consider themselves to be "gentlemen" and sane. This is shown by the way they treated the victims.
We can only hope, pray, and support the wounded.
We must focus on what we CAN do, instead of what we can't.
We have to find the good side and enlarge it.
It amazes me, how people act under duress.
There was no panic in New York.
There are five-hour lines to donate blood.
The pilot(s) of the plane headed for Pennsylvania managed to crash it, costing who knows how many lives but saving even more.

Sep 12, 2001 at 2:21 AM Post #124 of 272
My mind is cool -- I'm calm right now.

It was an act of war. If we find out who is responsible, I expect and want retaliation. I also want to see preemptive strikes against known terrorist groups who have publicly stated they've declared war against the U.S. We have two (known) military units that are able to perform preemptive strikes against known terrorists, and I wouldn't mind if we used them more.

For the rest of this night though, I'll just pray for the victims and all of their family and friends; for the brave rescue workers who went in to help and lost their lives (maybe as many as half of the firefighters who showed up on the scene, and maybe nearly 100 police officers).

Sep 12, 2001 at 2:41 AM Post #125 of 272
Prayer, and speaking are mind, are the only things that are gonna get us out of this crappy situation.

At least I was impressed by Bush's speech - for the first time, he came through. I was ADAMANTLY against Bush, and have been disgruntled until now.

It's a pity what politics does to the mind. It takes a tragedy to unite the nation...

DAMMMIT.....

this is one of those times you wanna cuss and beat the HELL out of a guy.....but you don't kno WHO.....

eric, man, it hasn't sunken in? Lemme just say this - enough people DIED - FLAT OUT DIED - to account for ALL the BATTLE deaths of the BOTH the Revolutionary War AND the War of 1812. Twice over....and hopefully not more than that....

Just think about ALL the people you love....think of 1000 people thinking of ALL the people they love....think off all those people, dying.

frown.gif

Sep 12, 2001 at 2:48 AM Post #126 of 272
Eagle_Driver, I'll assume that was an attempt at black humor. I've got a great response for that, but I can't get to the image I need at the moment. I'll update this later w/ the link.

Sep 12, 2001 at 2:52 AM Post #128 of 272
After seeing those people in Palestine dancing in the streets it seems that an endless parade of hate filled terroristic leaders will come streaming from that country for years to come. I feel that their continued existence is a threat to world safety. I don't want to understand their madness and their reasons. There is no excuse for such an action. The arguments that America has commited violations against the sanctitiy of human life are legitimate however pointless. We are Americans, and our country has been attacked. Unless we are ready for destruction at the hands of terroristic fools the only course of action is violent. While I pity their poor souls, I also mourn the souls of future generations of Americans who might die by those psychotic peoples hands. In their mad search for liberation they shall find true freedom in death.

Sep 12, 2001 at 3:07 AM Post #130 of 272
My first and last post on this.

I'm still in a state of shock. Filled with sadness at the sheer number of innocent lives lost, with terror at the means by which they died, and with outrage at the cowardice of the mass murder of possibly tens of thousands of people who woke up and decided to go to work this morning.

I am very happy to hear that our fellow Head-Fi'ers are alive and well, as are their families. I only wish the same was true for everyone else.

A few comments:

huy ha wrote:
Quote:

So before you get angry at specific people, and especially before you shoot, choose your target well. Study your target, learn its history, its perspective, because if we don't learn why this happened, there is no way to prevent such things from happening again.

huy ha, very well said.

coolvij wrote:
Quote:

Neruda: Maybe you are a step above us all. Maybe you don't need time to cool down.
But give the rest of us a break - let's get over this tragedy, and stop arguing.

coolvij, Neruda hasn't really been arguing this point. He's made only two posts in this thread. But more importantly, he has a very good point, echoed well by halberstein and others. This is NOT a time to wildly place blame or to direct our anger at a few people in the middle east.

It is also NOT a time for bigoted and ignorant comments, both of which have been exhibited in this thread (not by you, coolvij). It's a time for mourning the loss of life, and for trying to find and punish those responsible.

JMT wrote:
Quote:

At this point, I think that we really need to focus on the innocent victims of this act of cowardice, and to continue to pray for them and their families. Let us not forget too, the brave people that were called to provide aid to those and became victims themselves.

My thoughts, precisely, JMT. The death toll could be in the tens of thousands. 265 firefighters (at last count) are dead or missing. 85 police officers are dead or missing. These people gave their lives trying to get other people out of the buildings and ended up dying in the process.

Finally, from the very beginning of this thread it has been assumed that the perpetrators are from the Middle East. While as the day went on, intelligence officials reported suspicion that Usama Bin Laden was somehow connected, it is still not known exactly who is responsible. Let's not forget that until today, the most devastating terrorist activity against the U.S. was carried out by white U.S. citizens. Let's all take a deep breath, try to keep cool, and wait for the evidence to come in. As huy said, let's make sure that our anger is directed to the right target before we unleash it. This holds true not only for the U.S. government, but also for each of us individually.

Sep 12, 2001 at 3:07 AM Post #131 of 272
this is the most horrible disgusting act ive ever witnessed. It disgust me that any person or group can revell in such a careless sacrifice of human life. My condolances go out to all. And hope my Aunt working in the Pentagon is ok. I do beleive that all signs point to Bin Ladena dn his terrorist group. I think something should be done...but if we kill Bin Laden or whoever is responsible...his/their followers will just martyrize him and attempt to carry out whatever ultimate plan or ideas he had for the world. I applaud the brave men and women on the ground of new york, especially all the law enforcement and firemen lost. I ve noticed that even the news networks are doing a great job...it seems as if there are hundreds of cameras in ne wyork....although perhaps this is sensationalizing this event...it is necessary to keep the poulous informed. I hope no other horrible acts come in the future...and that we can identify the wrong doers and act accordingly......wow....that sounds like a poorly written speech...but oh well...also my condolences go out to all member of hefi/wize in NY and DC...also please excuse my poor spelling

Sep 12, 2001 at 3:12 AM Post #132 of 272
My father just told me about a donation form online for the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund. I will ask all of you who are able to also do so by visiting:

Red Cross Donation Form Online

Make sure to choose the Disaster Relief Fund in the drop-down menu.

Sep 12, 2001 at 3:16 AM Post #133 of 272
You can also make a donation through Amazon.com's website, if you feel so inclined.

Sep 12, 2001 at 3:19 AM Post #134 of 272
Well... I've been thinking about what to say about all this, and it's still hard. First things first though, the best thing we can do is pray for those people, thier families, and the state of our nation in general.

I was very encouraged by what Bush had to say tonight. This is why I voted for him. He seems to have a way of connecting with everyone, showing that he's mad too, that he wants what we want.

Aside from that though, this is all very disturbing. It really is like our way of life has been interrupted, rudely, violently, and we don't know what to do next. Of course our first inclination is to find whoever did this and punish them, kill them, torture them, nothing seems too harsh right now. I believe it was senator Hatch who said we need to "go after the bastards". I agree 100%. When you see video clips like people dancing in celebration of our civilian deaths... that's just not right, no matter how you look at it.

And I'm very relieved to find that all our New York members are alive and well. I personally know someone who works in the Manhattan area, and I'm waiting to hear from her. I'm pretty sure she works on the other side of town, but it'd be nice to have confirmation. As far as the city of New York goes, what a tragedy! I love the city, and those two buildings were monuments that represented the city and were instantly recognizable to most people. Now they're gone... That's still hard to imagine.

Finally, I'd like to commend Jude. Closing down the forums other than the General forum was, in my opinion, very classy and respectful. It was amazing to hear about most of the US pretty much shutting down, out of respect, fear, and to unite and comfort each other.

So I guess we're really still in the middle of everything, trying to figure out exactly what happened, why, who did it, how to react and retalliate. But if we can just pull together, pray for each other and the leaders that are representing us, and provide for each other (blood mostly), everything should get alot better pretty quick. Nice to hear from everyone on here, and again, glad everyone is ok!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back