Tempting new Virtual Dynamics power cord-- $50!
May 25, 2002 at 5:31 PM Post #136 of 698
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
DA, have you compared your recepticle to the ACME silver (non-cryo) recepticle?

I had considered the ACME outlets before, but that their silver creates a maintenance concern for me. I would imagine that it would tarnish after not too terribly long, and so might require regular cleaning -- and that would likely be an involved affair.

May 25, 2002 at 6:10 PM Post #137 of 698
Jude,

I think that is one of the stated advantages of silver over copper--in a nutshell, silver oxidation retains conductive properties whereas copper oxidation does not. I haven't as yet come across any info indicating that that issue (oxidation) would be a problem.

I already have the ACME outlet, but am about a month or two away from investigating power tweaks. I will avoid, in principle, power conditioners but I am looking for a quality power strip.

May 25, 2002 at 6:37 PM Post #138 of 698
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
Jude,

I think that is one of the stated advantages of silver over copper--in a nutshell, silver oxidation retains conductive properties whereas copper oxidation does not. I haven't as yet come across any info indicating that that issue (oxidation) would be a problem.

I already have the ACME outlet, but am about a month or two away from investigating power tweaks. I will avoid, in principle, power conditioners but I am looking for a quality power strip.

I believe tarnish on silver is silver sulfide, not silver oxide. I'm not sure exactly how conductive silver sulfide is, but I did find this:

Quote:

Sulfur-containing atmospheres will produce silver sulfide that increases contact resistance. Silver sulfide, however, is quite soft and easily displaced with adequate contact pressure and wipe or slide.

So maybe just unplugging a plug and ProGold'ing it, and then plugging and unplugging it periodically would be enough as far as maintenance goes with the ACME. I'm not sure. And I'm probably being too cautious anyway.

May 25, 2002 at 7:01 PM Post #139 of 698
Quote:

Originally posted by jude

I believe tarnish on silver is silver sulfide, not silver oxide. I'm not sure exactly how conductive silver sulfide is, but I did find this:

So maybe just unplugging a plug and ProGold'ing it, and then plugging and unplugging it periodically would be enough as far as maintenance goes with the ACME. I'm not sure. And I'm probably being too cautious anyway.

Thanks, I had no idea tarnish and oxidation were two different things.

May 25, 2002 at 9:49 PM Post #140 of 698
Hello Jude,
Would you consider including some VD cables in your up-coming shoot-out? FWIW, I think these cables are well worth your time and effort. I know you've got a pretty full plate of new goodies... Cheers, and thanks as always for Head-Fi!!!!! All my best to you sir....

markl

May 25, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #141 of 698
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
Time for the next installment.

What's involved in THIS step? Major electrician bill? Dedicated "how far out"? Next to the power company's meter?

The dedicated line runs from the circuit breaker box in my condo to a single wall outlet that my sytem plugs into. This must be done by an electrician. The cost would depend on the distance the circuit had to run. I knew the electrician, who did it as a favor to me, so I can't really say what the exact pricing would have been.

May 28, 2002 at 12:55 AM Post #142 of 698
OK, so my VD Sig Cryo power cables now have roughly 50 hrs burn-in and I've logged considerable listening time on them. Here are my conclusions:

I had been *hoping* that the level of improvement wrought by the Sig Cryos over the Power 3's would equal the jump from stock cable to Power 3's which was a dramatic night-and-day sort of difference. That may not have been a fair expectation, and I acknowledge there are numerous factors that will dictate the performance of a given cable in a given system.

I fully recognize that these $1K+ list price cables are more than total overkill for my modified Sony SCD-333ES source and Melos Maestro amp. The SCD-333ES with Modwright mods represents an investment of $1200 plus about $600 for the mods (although I think my modified player competes with much more expensive CDPs) while the Melos Maestro retailed for around $2500 all tweaked out plus some very expensive Siemens NOS tubes. I would imagine that the Sig Cryos are meant for components in the $5K range and above.

Overall, I would say that the boost in performance provided by the Sig Cryo cables over the Power 3 *in my unworthy system* was about 50% of the major leap in performance I got from going from the stock cables to the Power 3's. That said, given the sweet deal I got on the demo Sig Cryos I'm still delighted by their performance vs. cost. This was a great tweak over the mighty Power 3's and well worth my money. Plus, as I upgrade, I can take these killer power cords with me!

Anyway, there are several potential conclusions I *could* draw from my experience:

1. The VD power cords price/performance curve peaks at about the Audition/Power 1 level. This would be jumping to conclusions, IMO, but can't be ruled out.

2. Given the general level of components we use on this site, the Audtion/Power 1 cords are about the apex of what Head-Fi'ers should invest in. Let's face it, most of us do not have have $5K and above components. A $1K power cord does not make much sense for us.

3. My VD power cords are plugged into my Monster HTS1100 power conditioner. Good as this little $200 power conditioner is, could it be limiting the performance of the Sig Cryos in my system? Again, Rick at VD reco'ed I insert his cables straight into the wall. However, I want surge protection, so I decided to put them in the Monster despite his advice.

Let me just re-state for the record, I'm floored by the performance of the Sig Cryos in my system. I've reco-ed the VD cables to everyone I know who is seriously into audio. I highly recomend these cables to you. However, please see my original caveats about power cords that I posted earlier in this thread to determine if a power cord upgrade is really rational at all for your system, or whether that cash is better socked away to pay for a better source or amp.

Rock on!

markl

May 28, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #143 of 698
i hope this is the right place to put this in. i just tried a zcable power cord on my audible illusions m3 preamp, and was amazed to find that the difference was comparable to replacing my ics with analysis plus. so i got two more for my quicksilver monoblocks and it made even more difference! the presentation became more forward a bit, much more detailed, strong and solid-sounding, more dynamic,with better hf response,better imaging, less distortion on loud passages. cords, evidentally made a huge difference in MY system. they cost me $130, incidentally.

May 28, 2002 at 8:03 AM Post #144 of 698
Quote:

Originally posted by dcg
Tested the cable at Hirsch's today on Dusty's Hap-02 amp...Hopefully Hirsch and Dusty will chime in with their impressions.

Sorry, haven't been around.

And sorry, I don't really feel that my comments would be meaningful. I pretty much agree with everything that's been said, including the preface -- unfamiliar equipment, unfamiliar tubes, unfamiliar source. Bass did seem more bloated than otherwise. Does not mean it's a bad cable. This probably could be tempered with something else (interconnects, other tubes, burn-in?). Does not mean it's a bad amp. Initial impressions of the HAP-02 are very favourable. It just means that it's not used to getting that much juice -- my guess.

Also wanted to mention an alternative. Krell sell some above-grade replacement power cords for US$18+ -- they're not as juicy as the Virtual Dynamics, but for those who want to take a step up with minimum of expense, this is one alternative that I was considering.

I was looking at replacing a cord on a Krell KAV300i. Don't know if they will sell them to non-Krell-owners.

May 29, 2002 at 3:10 PM Post #145 of 698
Mark
Haven't forgot about me have you, its taking me longer to evaluate the VD Refs because my system requires 5 AC cords and need to switch around to find best combo. The size/stiffness is a royal pain in the a** as I feared, so the Vds are going to have to really sound great to overcome the extra hassle.

I will say like the VD Sig IC I am getting really great expansion of 3D sound stage which is very important for main system. As you noted and is true in general as your system improves it costs a great deal of money for ever smaller increases in sound quality,
so some common sense is needed to balance your spending
priorities to acheive best sound.

More to come over next several days, any more observations?

Cycling
I have been eyeing the Zu Cable AC cords also because of reasonable price, small flexible design, and 60 trail period. Any other info you can provide, what cables did you previously use?

May 29, 2002 at 4:21 PM Post #146 of 698
bkelly said:

"Mark,
I just saw your last comments and I wanted to ask if you have yet tried the VD power cables without the Monster Cable Powerbar or if haven't yet whether or not you plan to. It would be interesting to know the results.

As far as the Zcable stuff goes it's very interesting. They recommend the best power cable to be used on the source rather than the pre-amp or power amp. I'm like you I like the lighter weight and the cost. I wish someone would try them quickly. If you want to share the cost let me know.

As you know the Headroom Tour is here in Nashville tomorrow. I can't wait."

No, I haven't tried them without the power conditioner, and given the difficulty of attaching and re-attaching these cables it would be too much work to do A/B type tests to see if it makes a difference. In the end, I'm paranoid anyway and want the surge protection so they go in the Monster.

DarkAngel,
Which components of yours have you tried the VD Ref on, and did the level of improvement vary on the different components?

Mark

May 29, 2002 at 4:37 PM Post #147 of 698
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
bkelly said:

"Mark,
I just saw your last comments and I wanted to ask if you have yet tried the VD power cables without the Monster Cable Powerbar or if haven't yet whether or not you plan to. It would be interesting to know the results.

As far as the Zcable stuff goes it's very interesting. They recommend the best power cable to be used on the source rather than the pre-amp or power amp. I'm like you I like the lighter weight and the cost. I wish someone would try them quickly. If you want to share the cost let me know.

As you know the Headroom Tour is here in Nashville tomorrow. I can't wait."

No, I haven't tried them without the power conditioner, and given the difficulty of attaching and re-attaching these cables it would be too much work to do A/B type tests to see if it makes a difference. In the end, I'm paranoid anyway and want the surge protection so they go in the Monster.

DarkAngel,
Which components of yours have you tried the VD Ref on, and did the level of improvement vary on the different components?

Mark

Oppppppppppppssssssss........
Little confusion I'm afraid between Z cable and Zu Cable, Cycling was referring to Z cable and I was talking about Zu Cable which does have a 5ft Birth AC cord for $130.......sorry for the confusion but nonetheless I have heard some good things about Zu cables especially for the price, remember Dan Wright purchased this cord from his recent AC cord shoot-out at AA.

Mark
I would really like to connect VDs to my little Bel Canto Dac but it is just phsically not possible because of the size/stiffness issue. I am also have trouble connecting to my CDP which rests on rack top shelf and 5ft VD cord is very hard to bend and still reach power conditioner on floor
frown.gif

Jun 1, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #149 of 698
Links not working for me. How are they doing in your system? You gonna keep em?

As for me, I think I can say that the Sig Cryos are experiencing much longer burn-in period than I noted with Power 3's. Not sure why that would be, but they are continnuing to improve quite staedily. I'm more enthused about them than I was after 50 hrs in my previous post.

markl

Jun 1, 2002 at 10:03 PM Post #150 of 698
Dam Yahoo!

Well I just realized that Yahoo has just changed their free online photo service and you can no longer publically share any high rez photos, without joining premium service......for $25 a year. And you have to set-up Yahoo wallet with all your information so they can automatically bill you, and you have to agree thay are not responsible if your Visa number is stolen.

Yes the VDs are working well, with some effort as the photo would indicate I have them connected to CDP and preamp currently.....more comments soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back