Tempotec Sonata HD Pro DAC/AMP-> Amazing sound, small size, affordable price!
Apr 5, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #106 of 138
Just was wondering something, do you guys put it to full volume all the time and control the volume through the music player? Or do you put it some few clicks away from maximum? I am wondering whether it's better to not put the maximum volume as that can cause distortion.
*Edit* I do feel a little bit of distortion, but this may well be fabricated by my mind as I expect that from my past experiences.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #107 of 138
Just was wondering something, do you guys put it to full volume all the time and control the volume through the music player? Or do you put it some few clicks away from maximum? I am wondering whether it's better to not put the maximum volume as that can cause distortion.
*Edit* I do feel a little bit of distortion, but this may well be fabricated by my mind as I expect that from my past experiences.

The tempotec sonata HD Pro actually memorizes the volume setting u left it at when u next use it again, and I generally rotate thru a few IEMs/earbuds throughout the day, so leaving it at max may inadvertantly blow the next IEM (or even the eardrums) if the 2nd IEM is something that is easier to drive.

I leave it at about half and just control the volume from the music player.

Apr 5, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #108 of 138
The tempotec sonata HD Pro actually memorizes the volume setting u left it at when u next use it again, and I generally rotate thru a few IEMs/earbuds throughout the day, so leaving it at max may inadvertantly blow the next IEM (or even the eardrums) if the 2nd IEM is something that is easier to drive.

I leave it at about half and just control the volume from the music player.
Oh, my global volume is really low! 4 bar out of 16 bar in my macbook, and about 5 out of 15 in samsung s10e pro. So I always have low volume without 1 or 2 click away from max in sonata hd pro. Would the sound improves if I put it in half and blast the volume up in my macbook?

Apr 6, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #109 of 138
Oh, my global volume is really low! 4 bar out of 16 bar in my macbook, and about 5 out of 15 in samsung s10e pro. So I always have low volume without 1 or 2 click away from max in sonata hd pro. Would the sound improves if I put it in half and blast the volume up in my macbook?

I think there are different view points, but the general audiophile consensus (of those I've spoken to) is to max out the music at windows/macbook and music player and then do fine tuning distally from the amp. Their reasoning is that one may lose dynamics if the first stage input is too low.

If I use the Sonata HD Pro with the 3.5 to 3.5 mm adapter (or now that it has been flashed to BHD firmware), I actually max out my music player and windows volume, and use a lower volume on the modded Sonata HD pro. BTW, the BHD firmware really makes the volume go about double the maximum of the stock Sonata HD Pro.

Apr 6, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #110 of 138
I think there are different view points, but the general audiophile consensus (of those I've spoken to) is to max out the music at windows/macbook and music player and then do fine tuning distally from the amp. Their reasoning is that one may lose dynamics if the first stage input is too low.

If I use the Sonata HD Pro with the 3.5 to 3.5 mm adapter (or now that it has been flashed to BHD firmware), I actually max out my music player and windows volume, and use a lower volume on the modded Sonata HD pro. BTW, the BHD firmware really makes the volume go about double the maximum of the stock Sonata HD Pro.
Oh ok! Btw I couldn't find any guide on how to flash new firmware on sonata hd pro. Is there a general guide which shows how to flash firmware in dac?

Apr 6, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #111 of 138
Dumb question: When using this I want to uncheckmark this right?
aECSsmV.png

Apr 6, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #112 of 138
Oh ok! Btw I couldn't find any guide on how to flash new firmware on sonata hd pro. Is there a general guide which shows how to flash firmware in dac?

U can go to the official tempotec site to download the drivers and also a document on the steps to flash the firmware: http://www.tempotec.com.cn/en/3-Support/index.htm

Capture1.PNG

So the official Sonata HD Pro firmware is at the red circle. Just download V3.0 and flash it, they show u a step by step guide in the firmware update instructions document below the V3.0 link.

Some of us like @jeejack and myself have downloaded the black circle Sonata BHD firmware and flashed it (we used the same numbers to enter in as from the Sonata HD Pro instruction document). Please do so at own risk, as we don't know if it may brick the device or if flashing a balanced output on an unbalanced output DAC/amp will screw things up. But I kind of like the BHD firmware as this makes the Sonata HD Pro 2x louder. YMMV though, if u are not keen to take the risk, just use a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter with the V3.0 original Sonata HD Pro firmware.

Apr 7, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #113 of 138
It looks like you didn't install the windows driver. Windows does not see your device. Look in device manager. The firmware update is done the same ( you have to change the numbers). I haven't tried any 3.5 mm adapter but with the new firmware it is much more powerful
I'm stuck at the "not found" stage when I try to update the firmware. Would you please help? How do you update the numbers in the driver if no "write EEPROM" dialogue opens during the driver installation? Thanks.

Apr 8, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #115 of 138
I'm stuck at the "not found" stage when I try to update the firmware. Would you please help? How do you update the numbers in the driver if no "write EEPROM" dialogue opens during the driver installation? Thanks.

I had that issue initially, then I used the numbers from the Tempotec sonata HD Pro V3.0 document (the one titled "Sonata HD Pro firmware update instructions" below this red circle) for the BHD firmware update, and it worked.

Capture1.PNG

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #116 of 138
You have to install usb driver for windows and after that install the firmware
Thanks. Yes, I did that initially. I've uninstalled, installed, and rebooted several times but no luck yet.

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #117 of 138
I had that issue initially, then I used the numbers from the Tempotec sonata HD Pro V3.0 document (the one titled "Sonata HD Pro firmware update instructions" below this red circle) for the BHD firmware update, and it worked.

Capture1.PNG
Thanks, but same result. I should probably just forget about it. It works on my phone well enough. BTW, I have a BHD on the way.

Apr 18, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #118 of 138
uYh28LL.jpg

Got another dumb question, I forgot about the above picture. Do I actually need to unplug the usb each time from my computer to plug in my 58X and then plug back in the usb again after?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back