Tempotec Sonata HD Pro DAC/AMP-> Amazing sound, small size, affordable price!
Jun 4, 2020 at 8:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 138

baskingshark

Headphoneus Supremus
I just received the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro (DAC/AMP) dongle today that I bought from the last Aliexpress sale, and am amazed by the great price to performance ratio it brings to the table! It really makes my humble smartphone sound quite close in sound quality to my dedicated desktop rig (Khadas Tone Board -> Fiio A3), and for such a small sized package!

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-04 at 20.06.18.jpeg

USB C to A adaptor attached to dongle.

I had the predecessor, the Tempotec Sonata HD (non pro), and while it was above average for a dongle DAC/AMP, it had a bad hiss with highly sensitive IEMs, it heated up and could cook an egg with prolonged use, and it had no volume controller. It also had a bad clicking noise on changing music tracks, but was otherwise quite okay for the price.

Capture.PNG

The Tempotec Sonata HD Pro is very small, comes with a volume controller, and has very low output impedance. I haven't tried it with high impedance cans/buds, but so far it could power most of my IEMs, with a great neutral sound signature, yet improving dynamics, details and with low THD. It doesn't eat that much battery from the smartphone, and doesn't heat up compared to the Non Pro predecessor. And it is compatible with android and apple phones (with the appropriate adaptor). No hiss/clicking noted even with changing tracks midway, and the sound is very transparent, clean and it has a dark background. I think it has the same internals as the Hidizs S8 but only costs 1/2 the price.

Maybe I would have preferred if the volume steps could be smaller, but no biggie.

Hopefully with this set, I wouldn't need to suffer the upgraditiis bug for the next few months for upgrading sources (but that doesn't apply to transducers like IEMs/cans/buds unfortunately). This is one of my 10/10 purchases in recent times, I snagged it at $33 USD during the sale, I think it is usually around $40ish USD. I hope others can know how good this little dongle is. I'm not gonna leave home without it from now on!

Look forward to any of your feedback and impressions if u own it too!

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 138
I have the hd sonata which is very good. The only problem I have with it is that it has no volume control. I wanted to use it with cayin n3 because the 3.5 socket jack is broken. it doesn't work with it because the volume in the cayin doesn't work when I connect it and it sounds very loud. I will order the pro version for volume control

Jul 28, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 138
I have the hd sonata which is very good. The only problem I have with it is that it has no volume control. I wanted to use it with cayin n3 because the 3.5 socket jack is broken. it doesn't work with it because the volume in the cayin doesn't work when I connect it and it sounds very loud. I will order the pro version for volume control

Sonata HD Pro is a true upgrade over the non Pro version. Other than volume control, the Pro version doesn't heat up, has no clicks/hissing, and has better sound quality. I'm sure u will like it.

I wrote a small review here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tempotec-sonata-hd-pro.24181/reviews#item-review-23794

And at the last segment there's a comparison of the Pro version vs the non pro one.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 138
Sonata HD Pro is a true upgrade over the non Pro version. Other than volume control, the Pro version doesn't heat up, has no clicks/hissing, and has better sound quality. I'm sure u will like it.

I wrote a small review here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tempotec-sonata-hd-pro.24181/reviews#item-review-23794

And at the last segment there's a comparison of the Pro version vs the non pro one.

Thanks for the answer. Am I curious if the volume control works? Have you tried using it with any DAP that doesn't have android?

Jul 28, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 138
Thanks for the answer. Am I curious if the volume control works? Have you tried using it with any DAP that doesn't have android?

The volume control works with my smartphone and desktop yes, only problem is the volume steps are quite big. So for fine tuning it is best to still do it on the desktop/smartphone.

I haven't tried it on a DAP yet, but I'll try this later when I get home.

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #7 of 138

I tested the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro with my Shanling Q1 via USB C connection, works like a charm. Volume control works, dongle is recognized by Shanling Q1 with no issues. No clicking/hiss etc.

Not sure if it will work nicely with your DAPs though.

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #10 of 138
Is it better than the meizu pro?

I don't have the Meizu Pro, but my friend who has both says Meizu Pro can power higher impedance gear, though the Meizu Pro has bad cellular interference with certain smartphones. Sound wise he says the Meizu Pro is slightly inferior to the Sonata Pro.

U can check out this review here by Audioscience reviews on the Hidizs S8 (the Sonata HD Pro is an OEM version of the Hidizs S8 and they measure the same internally based on some audio sites):
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dizs-s8-usb-c-headphone-adapter-review.10823/

If u see the measurements here, it does seem to back up my friend's claims that the Sonata HD Pro sounds better, though Meizu Pro is more powerful. I skipped the Meizu Pro due to the reported cellular interference on phones, best to ask the others on their input though. YMMV.

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #12 of 138
I just received it and it doesnt work in the computer/phone, what could be the reason? I tried to update the firmware.

What is "it"? Are u referring to the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro?

If so, please check that u downloaded the latest firmware. Go to this link: https://twitter.com/Sales2019tempo1/status/1289096596752412672?s=20

Capture.PNG

Capture (1).PNG

After ensuring latest firmware is in place:

1)
For phone use, are u using an android phone? You need to have an app that can bypass the android DAC such as Neutron player or HibyMusic App. Then go to settings and select exclusive USB access/bit perfect output.

2)
For windows use, make sure u have a USB A to C adapted and plug it in, then right click the volume button at the bottom right of task bar -> "open sound settings" -> scroll down to "sound control panel". Right click the tempotec sonata HD pro icon, go to properties -> "advanced" -> set the default format to the highest setting and save it.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #14 of 138
Yes Im talking about the sonata hd pro.
I tried to update it with these vendor ID and product ID and yet its not working.

This is how I see the device in devices manager, under "Other devices".

When you right click the volume button at the bottom right of task bar -> "open sound settings" -> scroll down to "sound control panel". Do u see the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro listed as one of the sound devices?

Sorry I'm not an IT expert, but it possibly may be a USB issue? Seems the computer is not even recognizing the Sonata HD Pro. Maybe try updating your USB and computer drivers? If not u might need to contact Tempotec or whoever u bought it from for advise. I hope the others can help as this is way beyond my rudimentary IT/computer knowledge. Myself and my friends who use the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, we just plugged it in and Windows recognized it straight away, no need to download drivers or anything.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #15 of 138
When you right click the volume button at the bottom right of task bar -> "open sound settings" -> scroll down to "sound control panel". Do u see the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro listed as one of the sound devices?

Sorry I'm not an IT expert, but it possibly may be a USB issue? Seems the computer is not even recognizing the Sonata HD Pro. Maybe try updating your USB and computer drivers? If not u might need to contact Tempotec or whoever u bought it from for advise. I hope the others can help as this is way beyond my rudimentary IT/computer knowledge. Myself and my friends who use the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, we just plugged it in and Windows recognized it straight away, no need to download drivers or anything.
What can I say, you're right, I plugged it into my desktop pc instead of my laptop and its working great.
So what could be the reason its not working on my phone? I have UAPP but when I play a song it just plays it on the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back