Tekzilla Talks About Headphone Amps
Jun 3, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #32 of 58
he is canadian, cant blame him for talking funny =)

Jun 3, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #33 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he is canadian, cant blame him for talking funny =)

He was born in Illinois, grew up on the Jersey Shore
smily_headphones1.gif

And yes, he did say Gradio. He also pronounces Bose as "Bosey"

Jun 3, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #34 of 58
This guy really struggles with pronouncing the names of the products he reviews, and the industry terms that he uses. It is hard to take someone like that seriously. The girl is homely and annoying.
How about a review from G4 (who they are trying to emulate)?

Jun 3, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #35 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornitron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This guy really struggles with pronouncing the names of the products he reviews, and the industry terms that he uses. It is hard to take someone like that seriously. The girl is homely and annoying.

I stopped watching when G4 took over TechTV. I agree with you that Veronica is homely and annoying.

Jun 3, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #36 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tornitron /img/forum/go_quote.gif

He seriously knows what he is talking about. So what if he has a pronunciation problem.

G4 sucks, they ruined TechTV.

And that girl is not Homely! She is nerd-hot. Oh wait isn't that the same thing?
biggrin.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #37 of 58
I want to see an episode where he talks more about amps and then they look at each other and they give a passionate kiss....... Ok, I'm silly. Ignore me.

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #38 of 58
Thanks for the heads up about both this particular episode and the show Tekzilla in general (I used to love to watch The Screen Savers when it came on, so it's great to see Patrick Norton again; I'd love to see him alongside Leo, though). I'm watching all the episodes from the beginning, and in Episode 6 they have a very short segment on $20 headphones. I was thinking it would be a waste of time and he wouldn't drop any big names, but Patrick does reference HeadRoom, Beyerdynamic DT770, Etymotic ER-4, and Grado SR-60 (I believe he actually pronounces Grado "correctly" this first time; don't know what happened in the other episode...).

Jun 4, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #39 of 58
i just decided to read this thread now. that's a cool clip, thanks for sharing! he's clearly more informed than your average cnet reviewer

the girl's a good looker too, kinda silly with the headphones on, but based on some avatars on this forum i'm not surprised there's a fascination there

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #40 of 58
I though they did a great job. I emailed GlassJarAudio about an order and also let Jeff know about the mention of his site on the show. He dident know it actually made it on the show. Congrats. Everyone should Email the show and get them to build and test some amp's/DAC

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #42 of 58
Frankly for the short time given as an overview for headphone amplification/upgrading your PC audio. This was not that great of a segment. I believe it introduced viewers to head-fi and that was it - which is always cool.

He didn't explain the gateway of options that DAC's open up for PC Audio, why you need an amp for the more expensive headphones, or really have portable, desktop amp hardware suggestions for any kind of budget (same with DAC's). He really left it to the viewer to start their own research pretty much from scratch. So it was nice to see but you guys sure hyped it up for me! (read the comments before I watched).

I only say all that as I recently upgraded my PC audio and I knew nothing about what to look for.

Also the suggestion for lossless is great. But I think MP3 VBR holds up great. They kinda made it sound like without FLAC you should not even think of using the kind of equipment they showed off.

Jun 6, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #43 of 58
ya it was short, was a nice plug for headfi and headroom though....he even dropped Tyll's name...its awesome when someone speaks of headphone audio they drop a name like tyll....the father of balanced.

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #45 of 58
I too used to enjoy Screensavers when I lived in the Twin Cities. Happy to catch up with what Norton and some of the Tech TV gang are doing now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back