Teflon may be health risk
Nov 18, 2003 at 5:26 AM Post #31 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by hempcamp
Frankly, I don't think too many people heat teflon pans above 500 degrees, so I fail to see any consumer danger.

Taken from the original post:
Quote:

snip...Then they showed a test where bacon was just about getting burned, still cooking, and the pan was above 500 already.

The hand held temperature sensor showed more than 500F (I can't vouch for the accuracy of this, but it'd be hard to rig), while the bacon was still not burnt and still cooking and the pan was only reasonably smoking.

Nov 18, 2003 at 6:02 AM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by fractus2
Taken from the original post:
The hand held temperature sensor showed more than 500F (I can't vouch for the accuracy of this, but it'd be hard to rig), while the bacon was still not burnt and still cooking and the pan was only reasonably smoking.

Wow. Maybe I'm just being naive about how much heat a stovetop creates. I've never actually measured. (And I don't cook bacon -- I'm a vegetarian!)

I guess my next question would be, even if Teflon emits fumes over a stovetop, is there any long-term danger from these fumes? I can see the immediate danger to, say, firefighters and canaries... but I'm not quite ready to pitch my few remaining Teflon pans yet
wink.gif

--Chris

Nov 18, 2003 at 6:08 AM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

I guess my next question would be, even if Teflon emits fumes over a stovetop, is there any long-term danger from these fumes? I can see the immediate danger to, say, firefighters... but I'm not quite ready to pitch my few remaining Teflon pans yet
wink.gif

The bit on tv (I know, why am I quoting a news media expose [shrugs]) said that there are documented cases of, get this, teflon flu, where people get flu like symptoms. The anchor asked the dupont representative this and grilled her (hehe) on why the label did not mention this, expecting a denial, she [instead] said that it's "on our web site". So there apparently are [respiratory] affects.

Nov 18, 2003 at 6:14 AM Post #34 of 36
Found a more thorough news article on the issue:

http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjo...warningla.html

This seems to be more along the lines of what I suspected.

--Chris

PS -- In the interests of full disclosure, I have a financial interest in DuPont, and family ties to some of its employees.
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2003 at 6:31 AM Post #35 of 36
And from an April CBS news article (here):

Quote:

[EPA official Stephen] Johnson said there is no concern that products made with Teflon, a nonstick, stain-resistant compound found in household items ranging from cookware to clothing and carpets, pose a health risk.

According to DuPont, all but about 3 percent of the C-8 used to make Teflon is removed during the manufacturing process, and cookware sold under the Teflon brand does not contain C-8.

--Chris

Nov 18, 2003 at 6:44 AM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

And from an April CBS news article (here):

Good catch! Fairly recent too. I don't think anyone said anything about throwing away cooking utinsils, but there was no dispute that the chemical, d8 is it?, is in 8 out of 10 Americans bloodstream.
Quote:

"We're at the beginning of this research, and, thanks to the EPA and their research, we may find some answers," commission spokesman Ken Giles said.

So I would say the jury was still out on this one. It is curious that they say this also:
Quote:

However, a spokesman said the commission will continue to monitor a separate Environmental Protection Agency inquiry into whether nonstick pans emit a toxic chemical known as C-8, which is used in the manufacture of Teflon.

More may be coming on this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back