Teflon may be health risk
Nov 16, 2003 at 12:26 AM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by braillediver
OH MY GOD!

There's teflon in my audio cables!!

Mitch

Mitch, sorry, but your amps are gonna be dead pretty soon....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2003 at 1:05 AM Post #17 of 36
dont care, the faster you die the better. i read the reader digest magazine and they found out fishes bought in the supermarket have mercury in it. i never liked fish anyway.

Nov 16, 2003 at 1:13 AM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
Thread crapping on a crappy thread....LOL...Who cares about frying pans on an audio forum...???? BTW another crapping that counts.....

IIRC the posts on those forums does not count against the marker, any mod please correct me if I'm wrong....
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

I think you got your point across. You'd think you own stock in Dupont or something. And yes, posts in the Member's [Lounge] (General Discussion) do count. Posts in the Certifiably Inane board OTOH do not. Don't need a mod to figure that out.

Nov 16, 2003 at 5:52 AM Post #19 of 36
Stainless steel contains chromium, which some people say is carcinogenic. Ceramics (especially glazed) have their fair share of heavy metal.

So can we choose between the least of all evils? I don't know; I'm not aware of any large scale studies on this subject. I don't even know whether stainless steel, teflon or other substances that household utensils are made of are indeed health hazards.

When it comes to human health here is a lot of unfounded hypotheses circling around; some author has made himself rich by publishing a book saying that bras may increase the incidence of breast cancer. It is not that people shouldn't worry about health risks; it is that right now, many of these worries do not have hard facts to back them up.

Nov 16, 2003 at 6:05 AM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by FalconP
Stainless steel contains chromium, which some people say is carcinogenic. Ceramics (especially glazed) have their fair share of heavy metal.

So can we choose between the least of all evils? I don't know; I'm not aware of any large scale studies on this subject. I don't even know whether stainless steel, teflon or other substances that household utensils are made of are indeed health hazards.

When it comes to human health here is a lot of unfounded hypotheses circling around; some author has made himself rich by publishing a book saying that bras may increase the incidence of breast cancer. It is not that people shouldn't worry about health risks; it is that right now, many of these worries do not have hard facts to back them up.

Use just clay pots, like our indians, and you will live a happy long life, like them, we have still a lot of things to learn from them....

Nov 16, 2003 at 8:08 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
This is the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, cholesterol, high blood pressure, sodium, lead, water contamination, MSG, etc....
Just for the records in Spain, where my family came from, in an small village, my mother's aunt is still alive, 96 years old, still works the garden, even have a few chickens, she still milks the cow, work on the farms, and she is still rocking, she is more healthy than me.....all what she gets is from the earth, and from healthy animals, grown from scratch, eating all natural food home made ham, sausages, cheese, bread, wine, bacon, fresh eggs, pure butter from the milk, etc....where have all the old good times gone!!!!
Here nowadays all is synthetic, no cholesterol, no fat, no nothing, hormones all over the place, chemicals to grown the trees, animals, eggs, the milk is just pure white water...the only that really tastes like milk is the half and half, and if I said that in from of the people in the streets, I will be lynched for sure....and people is dying by thousands, sometimes of God knows what, now the frying pans....com'on, gimme a break!!!!

Good point Sovkiller.. but you know what I think is the real secret of good health: Eat less! My guess is your mother's aunt eats lightly, no more than the body requires and small meals, even though food high in fat, cholesterol, etc. My opinion is, that's the secret. Even if no tendency to gain weight from eating a lot, just eat exactly what's required, no more/no less and stay much healthier that way... chemicals or no chemicals. They say #1 problem is obesity, but IMHO it's only a symptom and not the actual problem. Just learning to eat light, according to calorie requirements and no more... that's it, and if you do then eat whatever you like.

Nov 16, 2003 at 8:25 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Musicfan123
Any non-stick alternatives to teflon?

Lots of oil & butter
smily_headphones1.gif

I think Teflon is a lousy cooking surface unless cooking particularly difficult things like omelettes. I much prefer cast iron & stainless.

Keep in mind there are other "studies" out there suggesting cooking on aluminum or cast iron will kill you, too. My folks down home in the south grew up on cast iron & aluminum cookware, none have alzheimer's or cancer.

--Chris

Nov 16, 2003 at 2:12 PM Post #23 of 36
I love cast iron. Unfortunately those things are dead HEAVY! And takes forever to heat up.

Cast iron, that's what I am going to ask my mom for this Christmas...

Eating less actually has been shown to prolong life span, in rats.

By eating approximately 1/2 of the normal daily calorie intake, those starved rats approximately doubled their life span.

Hmmm... food for thought.

Nov 17, 2003 at 5:19 PM Post #27 of 36
British epidemiologists have linked Alzheimer's Disease with the use of aluminum pots and pans. Aluminum was not used in the 1800s. During those days, Alzheimer's Disease was completely unknown.

This info worries me!

Nov 17, 2003 at 9:38 PM Post #28 of 36
This thread has turned silly......

The facts are: Firefighters have known for many years that the fumes from any burning Teflon,including the fumes from baking/cooking surfaces,are highly toxic. This is not some rumor or supposed scare tactic for ratings from a news outlet. If you inhale the fumes created as a result of the combustion of Teflon coatings,you will soon be dead. I have been in thousands of burning kitchens,as has any big city Firefighter,and know the danger of Teflon to be very real. Doubt it if you wish.

It would be very helpful for those making stupid statements and crapping on threads to take just a minute to do some research.

Nov 17, 2003 at 11:33 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
This thread has turned silly......

It would be very helpful for those making stupid statements and crapping on threads to take just a minute to do some research.

Tuberoller, I think the original post had to do with consumer health effects of using Teflon. It's perfectly within the bounds of the discussion to point out how many other "studies" there are about " potentially dangerous" consumer products. Frankly, I don't think too many people heat teflon pans above 500 degrees, so I fail to see any consumer danger.

You do bring up a good point about the hazards presented to brave firefighters entering homes with toxic teflon fumes. But that wasn't what the article posted was talking about.

--Chris

Nov 17, 2003 at 11:35 PM Post #30 of 36
Are you really trying to argue that this thread was not crapped on???? Do so in another thread cause this one is closed.

Edit;

Hempcamp made a reasonable request to reopen this thread. Please keep this on topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back