Teflon may be health risk
Nov 15, 2003 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

fractus2

Headphoneus Supremus
Saw a news story on this last night and it really got my attention. There is this checmical from teflon (cooking pans, carpet fire proofing, etc, etc.) that is in everyone's blood (was it D8 or something?). A spokesperson from Dupont was under the gun and confirmed that when a teflon pan reaches above 500 F, toxic fumes and particles are released and can kill birds (the analogy of the canary in the coal mines was brought up). They say further tests are being made by the FDA(?), think I got the agency right. Then they showed a test where bacon was just about getting burned, still cooking, and the pan was above 500 already. There may be better articles than this one below, but I could not google them. If you find some please post.

Teflon may be health risk

Nov 15, 2003 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 36
Which is the temprerature of a regular stove is it over 500 F???? The oven at least is not....

Nov 15, 2003 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
Which is the temprerature of a regular stove is it over 500 F???? The oven at least is not....

Sovkiller, The example they showed was one of the stovetop grills (set on high?) cooking bacon. The temperature sensor was held above the pan and while the bacon sizzled, showed > 500 F and climbing.

Nov 15, 2003 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 36
Ya know, too much worrying (about things that can kill you) can kill you...
280smile.gif

Nov 15, 2003 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 36
If the fying pan won't kill you, the bacon will. Life is just one health risk after another. It's just not worth worrying over.

Nov 15, 2003 at 10:13 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by fractus2
And thread crapping ups your post count.
biggrin.gif

Why on earth would I want to up my post count... it's already so high compared to "Registered:" date that I'm beginning to doubt my sanity.

Quote:

Originally posted by lan
If the frying pan won't kill you, the bacon will.

Excellent point, altho there are other things that could be cooked in a Teflon pan that might bring it up above 500 degrees. Restaurants and such use them too, I would imagine...

Nov 15, 2003 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
If the fying pan won't kill you, the bacon will. Life is just one health risk after another. It's just not worth worrying over.

That's true. It just seems to me that there is something more to this one. I mean, the chemical is already in everyone's (their claim) bloodstream and they are scrambling to see if it poses a risk. You can modify your diet and choose your cookware. They had this lady with a full grown parrot that just keeled over due to the fumes. It may not be worrying so much as protecting your houshold's health.

Nov 15, 2003 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by fractus2
And thread crapping ups your post count.
biggrin.gif

Thread crapping on a crappy thread....LOL...Who cares about frying pans on an audio forum...???? BTW another crapping that counts.....

IIRC the posts on those forums does not count against the marker, any mod please correct me if I'm wrong....
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Nov 15, 2003 at 10:55 PM Post #12 of 36
The thing with birds is not a new discovery...it's been well known for YEARS. It's not exactly a newsflash to anyone who has ever been serious about breeding or keeping handreared exotic birds.

Can you say "yellow journalism"?

Having said that, it does bear further investigation. However, let's remember something - these are birds. They are very different critters than we humans.

Nov 15, 2003 at 11:49 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
If the frying pan won't kill you, the bacon will. Life is just one health risk after another. It's just not worth worrying over.

This is the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, cholesterol, high blood pressure, sodium, lead, water contamination, MSG, etc....
Just for the records in Spain, where my family came from, in an small village, my mother's aunt is still alive, 96 years old, still works the garden, even have a few chickens, she still milks the cow, work on the farms, and she is still rocking, she is more healthy than me.....all what she gets is from the earth, and from healthy animals, grown from scratch, eating all natural food home made ham, sausages, cheese, bread, wine, bacon, fresh eggs, pure butter from the milk, etc....where have all the old good times gone!!!!
Here nowadays all is synthetic, no cholesterol, no fat, no nothing, hormones all over the place, chemicals to grown the trees, animals, eggs, the milk is just pure white water...the only that really tastes like milk is the half and half, and if I said that in from of the people in the streets, I will be lynched for sure....and people is dying by thousands, sometimes of God knows what, now the frying pans....com'on, gimme a break!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back