Teclast T51
Jan 15, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #1,097 of 1,468

In their christmas auction I think, maybe they were just being nice. :xf_eek:)  Ask studiolover.

I know you like the HM-601 and Studio V a lot Lee, but they can't replace the T51 for various reasons.

Even if I could get one for $75 during a xmas promotion, that's not the point, I'm not referring to my personal experience, I'm referring to the ultimate DAP in a universal sense.

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #1,098 of 1,468
There really is no DAP that exists like that Kiteki. Each has its own distinctive sound signature and some will pair with more cans/IEMs than others. I find the Hifiman to pair better with thin sounding to more analytical IEMs, or generally brighter headphones/IEMS. While the Studio pairs well with headphones that are fuller and have their own added flavor so nothing is really added but refinement.

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #1,099 of 1,468
     Quote:
And the fact that you are only going based on DAC chips will lead you to failure Kiteki. Its not about just whats under the hood, but how you tune it. The DAC and Amp are just pieces to the puzzle. Implementation will have the biggest effect on the overall sound.

You're going on DAC chips too, or you wouldn't be spending $700 on the DX100 shortly.

I have never said I'm "only going based on DAC chips", you made that up.

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #1,100 of 1,468
No I did not. You said the DAC inside of the Studio V is mediocre, thus it must have mediocre sound... That is not the case whatsoever. There's more than meets the eye in this and I feel many are mislead based on just specs alone. And I haven't decided if I am gonna jump on that DX100 yet. Unless there is some worthy incentive to get it early (such as a nice discount) there really is no reason for me to even rush into it. It may have a bunch of problems as it will be a new release and that seems to be an ongoing trend here on headfi as well. I was a lab rat for the ZO2 and ended up not liking the product even after paying to get the upgrade. Its not always worth it to be the guinea pig you know :).

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #1,101 of 1,468
Quote:
There really is no DAP that exists like that Kiteki. Each has its own distinctive sound signature

I'm takling about sound quality.

Quote:
No I did not. You always say the DAC inside of the Studio V is mediocre, thus it must have mediocre sound... That is not the case whatsoever. There's more than meets the eye in this and I feel many are mislead based on just specs alone.

Nah I've never said that nor implied it, I'm sure it sounds impressive but the DAC section could be a bit better for $250.

The company is a bit iffy, varying prices, flamewars several times, etc., lots of sad pandas.

Jan 15, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #1,103 of 1,468

Quote:
The company is a bit iffy, varying prices, flamewars several times, etc., lots of sad pandas.

Talking about iffy. My friend just sent me a link to Hisound forum (posted on 2012-12-20). Because I questioned about their player in Head-fi, they called me Anti-Chinese. If Hisound wanted to say something, Hisound should say it in Head-fi, say it to my face.
Jack, the Hisound guy, many people have Chinese friends, don't you know?

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #1,106 of 1,468
" I know you like the HM-601 and Studio V a lot Lee, but they can't replace the right-revision T51 for various reasons." 
wink_face.gif

By the way. Hifiman HM-601 benefits greatly from mods. If you change the chinese capacitors to some of the best ones, this DAP may even kill a high-end desktop setup sound-wise... I had the pleasure to try a "stock" HM-601 and a moded (better caps) HM-601...  The first one was not better then my T51. It had a prononced low-treble hump, and the bass wasn't thick enough... Well... The modded HifiMan sounded much better. No mo colored highs, and the bass to die for.. In fact, it was the most "analogical" and both "clean" sounding device I had ever hared. Paired with my VSonic Gr07, this moded hifiman has outperformed my desktop setup. Best portable sound I had ever heared, hats down... 

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #1,107 of 1,468

Quote:
" I know you like the HM-601 and Studio V a lot Lee, but they can't replace the right-revision T51 for various reasons." 
wink_face.gif

By the way. Hifiman HM-601 benefits greatly from mods. If you change the chinese capacitors to some of the best ones, this DAP may even kill a high-end desktop setup sound-wise... I had the pleasure to try a "stock" HM-601 and a moded (better caps) HM-601...  The first one was not better then my T51. It had a prononced low-treble hump, and the bass wasn't thick enough... Well... The modded HifiMan sounded much better. No mo colored highs, and the bass to die for.. In fact, it was the most "analogical" and both "clean" sounding device I had ever hared. Paired with my VSonic Gr07, this moded hifiman has outperformed my desktop setup. Best portable sound I had ever heared, hats down... 

Well, at least now I can do something with my 601, better then laying around accumulating dust, so where is this procedure to mod it, PLEASE
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #1,108 of 1,468

The Studio V outclasses the T51 in every area, other than hiss. The T51 has nothing on the Studio V period. Sound staging, imaging, left and right channel balance, clarity, treble extension. The Studio V is an easy upgrade to the T51 in all respects including the UI and battery life. To compare them would be like comparing a Gremlin to a Rolls Royce. I compared the T51 to the Hifiman 601 and found the 601 to be clearly superior in its own right. I also find the Studio V to be much more convincing when it comes to realism. The T51 just sounded plain old artificial. Now if you are to make an actual comparison that should be the Rocoo P to the T51. ClieOS finds them to be on par with each other from a sound quality stand point, with the Rocoo P taking the edge in clarity (detail?) but the T51 has more bass extension.
Quote:
wink_face.gif

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #1,109 of 1,468

Quote:

Well, at least now I can do something with my 601, better then laying around accumulating dust, so where is this procedure to mod it, PLEASE
wink.gif

Let me know how your mod goes. If it was to make the 601 sound anything like the T51 it would be a downgrade IMO :)

Jan 16, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #1,110 of 1,468

Hi,

I am user of T51 too, but i was sure it gives too much distortions however sound was pleasant. For sure I tested T51 line out with Audigy 2 ZS (PCMCIA version) and was surprised that part of half of wave was limited/cutted when playing 1 khz sine wave when using NORMAL mode EQ setting (i used COOLEDIT to see sine waves). With multimeter I found that one inverter gives -3.5V instead of -5V for OPA2604, +5V supply was OK. After replacing defective inverter (five legs, marked as PFNI on PCB, closer to OPA2604) - no more distortions. Seems many users have this defect when i see RMMA results. IMHO Teclast getting worse each year by using fake components in their units and lack of quality control. 

Vilnis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back