Teclast T51
Sep 24, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #391 of 1,468
Hmmm, I ordered a T51 from HOD on Thursday night to pair with my Triplefi 10s, and I chose DHL express shipping. They've given me a tracking number but so far it is turning up 'no results.' Does anybody have experience with their shipping from HK to Australia? How long does it usually take, and why is my tracking number not working?

Edit: now reads that it has departed from HK.

Really looking forward to this DAP! I'm currently sporting a Sansa Clip Zip. Depending on the jump in SQ, I may just sell the Clip even though I've only had it for 2 weeks. Here's hoping the T51 blows my ears away.

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #393 of 1,468
Yeah I ended up receiving mine after just a few days, DHL's tracking system isn't as good as Fedex's... but that aside, I'm loving this player! Getting acclimatised to the UI didn't take too long. Did you notice a burn-in period? It seems as though the SQ has improved over a few short hours of listening, but I'm not sure if this is a real phenomenon. It may just be my ears adjusting?

Oct 10, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #394 of 1,468
I've gone with EMS, based on previous experience with iBasso kit. Their tracking is very good in my experience.

Posted about the T51 in the SFLO2 thread, then realised I would be better served directing my comments to this thread even if they are the same thing under the hood. Probably the main thing that pushed me over the edge is the fact that this player has a dedicated line-out at a price point that beggars belief. Anyone who has an iPod LOD fall apart or malfunction should be overjoyed at the prospect of getting a decent analog signal with little more than a 3.5" connector - it can be as cheap or otherwise as you want it to be, and you can replace it at any half-decent electronics store. I use the white 3.5mm cable designed for the iPod and iBasso's CB06, depending on how long I need the cable to be.

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #395 of 1,468
A week after I ordered it, the T51 only left Guangzhou last night, but I dont lay the blame with EMS - somewhere between PayPal and HoD, the payment wasnt processed till Thursday. Not the first time I've had fun and games with PayPal, but so many merchants insist on it (over credit cards) that I guess we just have to grin and bear it. To finalise this epic whinge (!), a big Thank You to Australian Customs for staging a 'work to rule' (aka 'go slow') over pay and conditions. Just when our dollar has climbed back to $1.03 USD. 
rolleyes.gif

Oct 19, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #396 of 1,468
Arrived this morning - I'm still at work but its playing a few WAV files happily through my 262s.

Observations
   - yup : Chinese manuals for a Chinese market - will get what I can from the MP4Nation forums

- despite the Chinese manuals, the interfeace is all in English : I guess they set that up for overseas orders, even though this is supposedly only for the Chinese market ?

- didnt bother with the included IEMs - read elsewhere that they are crap, but what does anyone expect at this price ??

- sound wise, I can see why people got so excited about this player when it was released, but I can also relate to lee370s comment about it being very 'digital-sounding'. Personally, for this kind of money, I dont have a problem with that. 

- player shipped with version 2.30 of the firmware : based on the SFLO2 forum info at MP4Nation, thats the version I should be on. Happy days. 

Cheers,

estreeter

Late edit : I've had it on the charger for most of the afternoon, and its getting close to 5pm but the green light is still a ways from being 'fully charged'. Doesnt particularly alarm me as I'm happy to leave it on the wallwart USB charger all night every night, but for others this might be a major no-no for a player with a 10-hour battery life. Nothing like draining your laptop to charge a player that will struggle to get you through that long-haul flight ..... 

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #397 of 1,468
IME, the player does not sound right until it has been played for 50hrs or so. Some people dont believe in this, but to my ears this was pretty obvious. I almost thought I made a bad decision or got a lemon. Slowly, the loss bass tightened and soft treble came into focus. I also switched to thew "USER" setting with flat equalization. 

Oct 21, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #398 of 1,468
Thanks for the tips. Right now, the only real issue I have is with the way it renders percussion - totally artificial and I can see what lee370 meant by 'too digital' whenever a drumstick strikes the skin of a drum. Have a few other observatons, but I need more listening time. As you say, we usually perceive changes in that first 50-100 hours. 

Oct 30, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #399 of 1,468

All my collection is flac,with album covers but non are showing in my new  T51, this is normal, firmware 2.3.

and on average how much time it take to charge it?

Oct 30, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #400 of 1,468
I leave mine on the charger all night, but from my initial attempts it takes an inordinately long time to charge compared to my old iTouch. Wild guess, an hour on the charger for an hour of use - not exactly the greenest device on the planet.

Nov 8, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #401 of 1,468
Hello All,
I just got my 2nd Telcast back from HOD. I have a question about the EQ? When you refer to HO and LO, is that High output and Low output? Because the menu system on this thing is very unclear. I have my player set to Normal EQ, and under the Play FX I have it set to LEQ? Obviously as stated the volume is much louder when in normal mode, but is it my imagination or does the user EQ have better imaging and spacing?

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #402 of 1,468

Quote:
Hello All,
I just got my 2nd Telcast back from HOD. I have a question about the EQ? When you refer to HO and LO, is that High output and Low output? Because the menu system on this thing is very unclear. I have my player set to Normal EQ, and under the Play FX I have it set to LEQ? Obviously as stated the volume is much louder when in normal mode, but is it my imagination or does the user EQ have better imaging and spacing?

HO=Headphone output, LO= Line output to be used with external amp, portable or desktop, keep it on normal..........always....

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #403 of 1,468

Quote:
I did not like them. If I recall correctly. Their sound signature was that of an extreme U. Not my cup of tea. I like it neutral.

Quote:
HO=Headphone output, LO= Line output to be used with external amp, portable or desktop, keep it on normal..........always....

Thanks,
I feel like an idiot! any way what about the FX section is the LEQ the way to go. I see there is no way to deactivate the it.

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #404 of 1,468

Quote:

Thanks,
I feel like an idiot! any way what about the FX section is the LEQ the way to go. I see there is no way to deactivate the it.

PlayFx options are only if you chose it in the EQ, so forget about it and keep the EQ on normal.

Nov 8, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #405 of 1,468
I guess I knew it was all too good to be true, having read so many reports of unreliability from other Head-Fiers. My T51, after behaving faultlessly for a few weeks (crap touchscreen notwithstanding) appears to have bricked itself. Latest firmware so unlikely to be an old batch, tried paperclip in the 'reset' opening - just stuck on the same garbled video screen it went into when I put it on the charger last night. I'll wait till the battery dies then try recharging it - who knows ? - but I wont be wasting any more cash on Teclast.

Its a shame - such a massive improvement in SQ over consumer-grade DAPs, but clearly the latter still have a few tricks up their sleeves. Not hard to see why Apple sell so many iPods. I'll give HiFiMan a shot in a few weeks time, but if that doesnt work out I'm leaving the 'Proudly Designed in China' DAPs behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back