Techno, Electro & Underground Beats
Oct 16, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #5,555 of 9,823
Autechre - Sign

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #5,557 of 9,823
Been checking it out a bit this morning since it dropped. After M4 Lema, it strikes me as the most immediately accessible thing they've put out since the mid-90s and I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not. Gonna need a few more listens through!
I am not the ultimate Autechre fan, but after 3 consecutive listen, I can say that the album is consistent as a whole. The « r cazt » final track is beautiful.

Oct 16, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #5,558 of 9,823
I am not the ultimate Autechre fan, but after 3 consecutive listen, I can say that the album is consistent as a whole. The « r cazt » final track is beautiful.

I wouldn't describe myself as the ultimate fan either, but I have every major release and have been to see them live a number of times. As I say, it needs a lot more listen-throughs, just that my first impressions were that it lacks the textural density of stuff like Exai and Elseq and is surprisingly conventional in its structure - but first impressions can be deceiving. I wasn't blown away by Aphex's Syro the first time I heard it either, but it steadily grew on me.

Oct 16, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #5,559 of 9,823
I wouldn't describe myself as the ultimate fan either, but I have every major release and have been to see them live a number of times. As I say, it needs a lot more listen-throughs, just that my first impressions were that it lacks the textural density of stuff like Exai and Elseq and is surprisingly conventional in its structure - but first impressions can be deceiving. I wasn't blown away by Aphex's Syro the first time I heard it either, but it steadily grew on me.
I cannot say I can see or hear beauty in the sound chaos from their last efforts. It also applies to Aphex twin late works. I am quite conventional in that regard, that’s maybe the reason why I could listen to the « Sign » album 3 times in a row, but yes, it requires a lot more listen.

Oct 17, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #5,560 of 9,823
I know a lot of you dig the atonal and polyrhythmic vibes of generative music like Autechre, Richard Devine, etc., but cancel your weekend plans and check out the generative 24 hour (yes! 1 hour per style x 24 tracks) album by William Fields:

Oct 17, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #5,561 of 9,823

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #5,562 of 9,823

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back