Techno, Electro & Underground Beats
Mar 16, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #9,541 of 9,830
Along with Autechre....there was a bit of disappearing from those lucky enough to be in the media spotlight back then.
As I say, I rate a lot of 'bedroom bod producers' better than the old guard from the 90s now. With a headfi handle like that are you in Glasgow ?

Saw PlasticHawtin.....where I can remember...haha...Arches multiple times at Pressure, Sub club even (proper sweatbox), Art School, Never Get out the Boat (?) (also Hardfloor) , Barrowlands..his sets just tended to get 'kicked to death' on the bass line after a while but good lower/mid-90s...maybe he played Club 69 at some points but never saw him there.
Autechre live set in tiny basement bar in Glassford St...gear all set up in the basement - was going to do a runner with their gear - sell it 40 years later to age disgracefully...haha.
Underground Resistance coming to Club 69 Paisley April...sweep the neds out the club for a while that have taken over it with their Tartan Tekno Krew music. (former teen ned to be fine saying that haha.)

Hey Lohb, Good to have a fellow clubber on here that knows the mighty impressive Glasgow scene from back in the day (gawd that ages us so much eh :smile:)

My avatar/name I've used for 25odd years, a mate from the city (Robert Mercer - he knows the score (lawyer), you may remember his adverts in the back of M8 music mag using the yin/yang symbol) introduced me to Stuart/Orde - Slam back in the early 90's as he was involved in the scene at the time and needless to say I became a fan of all things Soma (if I ever go on desert island discs I'd have Slam - positive education and Silicone Soul - right on as my top two tracks, Graeme and Craig are really cool/down to earth folks - I booked them a couple of times to play down here in Galloway at the Wickerman festival (we used to organise/run the dance tents at the festival) , in the late 90's I was recovering after a particularly long friday-sunday session and Robert dragged down to the soma office/studio, I just collapsed on the sofa and could barely speak, Claire asked what was wrong with me and I eventually mumbled I'm in a somafunk, meaning I was completely drained/nothing left/couldn't speak so the name stuck :smiley:.

The Glasgow scene was on fire back then wasn't it? - so ****ing exciting heading out on a Friday night not knowing where you'd end up by Sunday, so many world leading artists competing to play it seemed like the centre of the world for techno at the time, seeing Hawtin at his prime was so cool, really nice guy but christ he talked so fast I couldn't keep up with him - so much nervous energy, if Sven Vath was also on the bill you knew you were in for a lost weekend where anything could happen as Sven was an absolute animal for everything going :wink:. Sub Club was one of my faves, such a small sweatbox with an anything goes attitude and wonderful crowd who were there for one thing only - the music.

Another excellent night out was Soundhaus out at Anderston (owned/ran by bruno, funny wee guy but in good way with excellent attitude to clubbing and all that that entails), Robert played there quite often and I had a few gigs but I preferred being in front of the decks, I was ok/competent enough to keep folk happy at house parties but preferred to leave it to the genuine artists/experts.

I've a few shoeboxes of pics from hundreds of nights out back then, I'll have to leave instructions that they be burned if I die as they're not really suitable for public viewing, I figure they are very incriminating for a lot of artists/DJ's :spy:

Christ....that was a stream of unconsciousness dragged up from the depths of my addled mind, I guess I'm now going off to spend an afternoon listening to a few select tracks from back in the day :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

EDIT : Oh my god, how could I forget Laurient Garnier, seeing the effect of him dropping "Man with the Red Face" was electric, the noise levels of the crowd overpowered the sound systems.

Edit to my edit : Just remembered another night, a mate (Bill Munn) used to put on a sorta private club night in the basement of O'Henry's, quite a Chicago house type of night, very good music for dancing away to and we all knew each other from house party's etc.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #9,542 of 9,830
Hey Lohb, Good to have a fellow clubber on here that knows the mighty impressive Glasgow scene from back in the day (gawd that ages us so much eh :smile:)

My avatar/name I've used for 25odd years, a mate from the city (Robert Mercer - he knows the score (lawyer), you may remember his adverts in the back of M8 music mag using the yin/yang symbol) introduced me to Stuart/Orde - Slam back in the early 90's as he was involved in the scene at the time and needless to say I became a fan of all things Soma (if I ever go on desert island discs I'd have Slam - positive education and Silicone Soul - right on as my top two tracks, Graeme and Craig are really cool/down to earth folks - I booked them a couple of times to play down here in Galloway at the Wickerman festival (we used to organise/run the dance tents at the festival) , in the late 90's I was recovering after a particularly long friday-sunday session and Robert dragged down to the soma office/studio, I just collapsed on the sofa and could barely speak, Claire asked what was wrong with me and I eventually mumbled I'm in a somafunk, meaning I was completely drained/nothing left/couldn't speak so the name stuck :smiley:.

The Glasgow scene was on fire back then wasn't it? - so ****ing exciting heading out on a Friday night not knowing where you'd end up by Sunday, so many world leading artists competing to play it seemed like the centre of the world for techno at the time, seeing Hawtin at his prime was so cool, really nice guy but christ he talked so fast I couldn't keep up with him - so much nervous energy, if Sven Vath was also on the bill as then you knew you were in for a lost weekend where anything could happen as Sven was an absolute animal for everything going :wink:. Sub Club was one of my faves, such a small sweatbox with an anything goes attitude and wonderful crowd who were there for one thing only - the music.

Another excellent night out was Soundhaus out at Anderston (owned/ran by bruno, funny wee guy but in good way with excellent attitude to clubbing and all that that entails), Robert played there quite often and I had a few gigs but I preferred being in front of the decks, I was ok/competent enough to keep folk happy at house parties but preferred to leave it to the genuine artists/experts.

I've a few shoeboxes of pics from hundreds of nights out back then, I'll have to leave instructions that they be burned if I die as they're not really suitable for public viewing, I figure they are very incriminating for a lot of artists/DJ's :spy:

Christ....that was a stream of unconsciousness dragged up from the depths of my addled mind, I guess I'm now going off to spend an afternoon listening to a few select tracks from back in the day :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

EDIT : Oh my god, how could I forget Laurient Garnier, seeing the effect of him dropping "Man with the Red Face" was electric, the noise levels of the crowd overpowered the sound systems.

Edit to my edit : Just remembered another night, a mate (Bill Munn) used to put on a sorta private club night in the basement of O'Henry's, quite a Chicago house type of night, very good music for dancing away to and we all knew each other from house party's etc.

Great - yeah same sort of scene patch and yes, the buzz in the air was palpable on Fridays early 90s....it was like an epicentre of something with endless top line-up DJs...yes Garnier nights at Arches were fantastic...that Jazzy house he would crossover with the techno.
I missed the infamous night when cops with dogs raided The Arches and then Slam dropped Positive Education as they were leaving and the whole club took off...haha...or maybe I was there....still undecided on that...it's a haze.
I must have been rubbing shoulders with Daft Punk as they were regulars at Arches for a while I believe around time they dropped their first track on Soma...so I'm semi-famous :wink:
....Seems like 10 years ago somehow.

Never heard of that Chicago house night which would have been great.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #9,543 of 9,830
I missed the infamous night when cops with dogs raided The Arches and then Slam dropped Positive Education as they were leaving and the whole club took off...haha...or maybe I was there....still undecided on that...it's a haze.
I remember that night - if we are hazily recollecting the same event that is, the cops turfed everyone out and the party carried on outside the entrance as folk got their cars with big sound systems and blocked the area off, thousands of folk outside bouncing around and the cops eventually gave up, if I remember correctly it made the national news and all the newspapers called it a riot, whereas the reality was it was just folk having an impromptu rave, nothing riotus about it in the slightest.

Guarenteed for sure we must've bumped shoulders with each other at the time, the scene, although seemingly big would show up the same faces time and time again, half the fun was queuing up outside the arches/sub club and meeting folk you recognise from previous nights and swapping consumables :wink:. And the afterparties back at folks houses were legendary as well, total strangers inviting you back to their house.

There's nothing like that scene now for the "kids" (christ...I sound like an old fart at 51), such a shame as the clubs in Glasgow had an international reputation as the place to play/experience - the city officials/police didn't realise what it had to offer, the scene was world famous and they seriously totally ****ed it all up with their draconian laws and shutting down the clubs.

Anyway, I figure I've polluted the thread with enough of my drivel, I'll hunt through my pics and perhaps post a few up with accompanying tracks.

Mar 16, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #9,544 of 9,830
From inspiration talked about above

Laurent Garnier: 1-4 Doctor C’est Choulette (he’s playing at the Sub Club on April 20th)

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 7:20 AM Post #9,547 of 9,830

Mar 17, 2024 at 7:30 AM Post #9,548 of 9,830
From inspiration talked about above

Laurent Garnier: 1-4 Doctor C’est Choulette (he’s playing at the Sub Club on April 20th)

I remember that "The Man with the Red Face" dropping in Arches multiple times actually...never knew the name of it...same idea as Strings of Life...strip out most of the bass...build up when the feet have nothing to move to....and £2 for a Red Stripe at the bar...free pints of water though..haha....what will it be now 6 quid for a Red Stripe...?

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #9,550 of 9,830
Kolsch - PUSH, I figure when god was creating the world and seeing the earth form this is what he’d be listening to through a funktion one sound system

Mar 17, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #9,552 of 9,830
Yotum Arni - Just Another Day, a slow burning vocal led track with sax that builds and builds with a sense of urgency

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back