Technics SL-P999
Nov 25, 2006 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Ezer

Head-Fier
I was rummaging around in the basement the other day and I found a Technics SL-P999 that my uncle left lying around while moving a decade ago.

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never listened to CD's from a dedicated source before. So I'm thinking about dusting this thing off and hauling it off to my room to give it a good listen. What should I expect from this thing? I did a little googling and it's obvious the SL-P999 is a vintage piece of equipment, but I couldn't find any more specific details. I was hoping some of you could give me a little history on this thing, if there is any
redface.gif

Nov 26, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 17
Quite a big machine with lots of functions, once more or less Technics' top model (late 80s, iirc), 20 bit dacs (four of those, iirc), pretty good quality - worth keeping, if it's still in good condition.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Nov 26, 2006 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 17
Nov 26, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 17
If it's still in working condition it should be a keeper, it will provide solid sound quality especially since it's Technics higher end model and at that time one paid substantial money for it. I myself own Technics player from the late 90's and it produces solid music with good soundstage, nothing fancy though. You have interesting basement....:wink:

Nov 26, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ezer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was rummaging around in the basement the other day and I found a Technics SL-P999 that my uncle left lying around while moving a decade ago.

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never listened to CD's from a dedicated source before. So I'm thinking about dusting this thing off and hauling it off to my room to give it a good listen. What should I expect from this thing? I did a little googling and it's obvious the SL-P999 is a vintage piece of equipment, but I couldn't find any more specific details. I was hoping some of you could give me a little history on this thing, if there is any
redface.gif

It's actually a pretty good player. 4 PCM56s w/ analog post-filtering and a decent transport. The "20 Bits" comes from having 4 16 bit D/A converters in 8x oversampling such that the effective precision is greater. You can replace PCM56s with PCM61s, provided you can find 61s, for greater performance. They're pin-compatible and the 61 was designed as a replacement upgrade for the 56.

The P999 was arguably the best of Technics' pre-MASH decks.

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #7 of 17
Lucky you.  I had one of these for about 20 years before the laser gave up.  Been trying to get it repaired without success.  Recently found one for sale and can't wait to get it hooked up again to my system.  If you ever want to part with it I'd be interested for spares.

With the right speakers it is an amazing piece of kit - I use Bose and Mordaunt-Short.

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #15 of 17
Hi.... read your post.

Do you still have the Technics SL-P999 CD Player?  Would you like to sell it?

You can reply to me at: thx1326@swbell.net

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back