Technics EAH-T700 - An Impressive High-End 2-Way Headphone
Mar 7, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #77 of 153
With this headphone`s build quality, soundstage, comfort, good looks and extremely odd frequency curve, it just might become a modder`s favorite. 

Mar 8, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #78 of 153
Another review in Chinese which one can Google translate :http://www.andaudio.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=115589&start=5075#p1140652

In summary, the reviewer says the EAH-T700 is extremely resolving and capable of pinpoint imaging when comparing to the HD800.

Mar 8, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #79 of 153
I had a brief listen to these couple of days ago. Here are my impressions:  

First of all I didn't find the trebles harsh at all, unlike what many others reported and I'm actually very sensitive to trebles and prefer usually a slightly darker sound. What impressed me immediately was the exceptionally good timing and dynamism of the rhythmic foundation on Michael Jackson's Dangerous (excellent record from recording engineer Bruce Swedien btw.) . The bass drum, the snare, the hi-hats sounded as one full body with exciting transient response. But they sound kind of very very stiff if that's the right word to describe it. It wasn't a laid-back experience. No closing your eyes and diving into a sound space where you lose yourself... I'm sorry but no...

I was also surprised that they have a very thick lower midrange since I was expecting a more treble-heavy sound character due to others' listening experiences and I was very happy that the trebles were well balanced against the bottom-end and they were also silky. But for me the lower midrange was basically the reason that prevented me from considering them as my next purchase. The 150-300 Hz region seems to overshadow a bit the rest of the tonal balance but fortunately without having any negative effect on resolution. They have fair amount of resolution but still I wouldn't count resolution as one of their biggest strengths. For those who are familiar with the little brother of these (Panasonic RP-HD10) I think the Panasonic has better resolution than these.

Another disappointment for me was the soundstage. Although instrument separation is very good, the soundstage is, I think, not big enough for a headphone in this price range. But in return you get a very impactful rhythmic foundation. 

To summarize: 

Soundstage: Somehow close in but impactful. Don't expect a three-dimensional space like you would get on the HP-DX1000

Tonal character: Low-midrange-heavy but higher frequencies are not veiled either. They don't have a natural tonal balance in my opinion, which is fine for a hi-fi headphone but I didn't really like the tonal character they create. It's somehow too stiff, cold and unnaturally exciting. Also the lowest frequencies weren't really that present which was another bad surprise.

Build quality and looks: Perfection here... They are probably the best looking headphones I've ever seen. But they are heavy, they are REALLY heavy!

As you can see, my first opinion is not very positive and I'm sure that due to the restricted listening experience I may have misjudged them in some aspects but still I don't have the feeling that I will one day fall in love with these headphones. Which is very upsetting for me, since, as a more or less Panasonic fan boy,  I was really looking forward to the Technics comeback...

After couple of songs on these I switched to the CD900ST and god it felt so good...

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #81 of 153
Another review in Chinese which one can Google translate :http://www.andaudio.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=115589&start=5075#p1140652

In summary, the reviewer says the EAH-T700 is extremely resolving and capable of pinpoint imaging when comparing to the HD800.

The frequency response that the reviewer drew is dead flat and far from the French measurement.

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #83 of 153

The frequency response that the reviewer drew is dead flat and far from the French measurement.

balance != flat

Mar 8, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #84 of 153
The 14mm aluminum tweeter is placed at a rather steep angle and will project a rather narrow "beam" of sound wave. I think fitment and shape of one's outer ear flap would affect the frequency response much.

I think the EAH-T700 is the kind of headphone one must really listen to it before buying. The Final Audio Pandora Hope/Sonorous has similar problem of a slightly thicker pad will move the balanced armature tweeter away from its optimal relative position to the ear. 

Mar 13, 2016 at 1:40 AM Post #87 of 153
  balance != flat         in logic language as in computer engineering means balance doesn't imply flat  

:) 

um actually balance is very commonly used to refer to a headphone's tuning, which is frequency response

and "dead flat" means a neutral frequency response in this situation

Apr 10, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #89 of 153
  Would anyone say these are worth it?

The silence in response speaks for itself it might seem...

To me: no. They are not for me. But other seem to like them. As in most cases I'd suggest to try them out before buying them.

Apr 10, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #90 of 153

Would anyone say these are worth it?

The silence in response speaks for itself it might seem...

To me: no. They are not for me. But other seem to like them. As in most cases I'd suggest to try them out before buying them.

Have you had a chance to hear it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back