Technics EAH-AZ80 True Wireless Earbuds
Nov 24, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #136 of 265
Hard to suggest anything as you did not specify what exactly you have tried.
Treble+ preset plus Azla Crystal tips worked for me. I have switched to Max due to comfort issues later, but they are a bit warmer tips.

Nov 26, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #139 of 265
Does anybody have any particular steps I should try to troubleshoot my nw-a55 not recognizing my az80s? I can pair them just fine to my phone but the nw-a55 never sees them in the device list to pair.

Don't know why I didn't check the manual I had to put the earbuds in my ears and hold the touch sensors on the sides of both earbuds for about eight seconds and then they immediately showed up on the player lol problem solved.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #140 of 265
I'm returning my AZ80 and going with the XM5.

The amazing separation of the high notes is a double-edged sword especially when the bottom end is lacking. I like bass and the sub-bass on these is missing, certain songs that are sub bass heavy sound a mess (Maeta - Questions, SZA- Low). The XM5 sound quality isn't as good as AZ80 but they sound less clinical, more energetic and smoother so less fatiguing.

The ANC on the AZ80 isn't too bad, it's the passive NC thats poor. It lets in a lot of sound and using a foam tips helps the NC a lot. But with ANC I don't like how it sounded, it reduced the soundstage.

Will miss the excellent touch control customisation. Sony has locked down what you can map to the touch control.s

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #141 of 265
Newbie here. Having bought and used the Technics AZ80 for the past month is what brought me here. My previous earbud was Sennheiser Momentum series, in which I had each one (MTW 1, MTW 2, MTW 3) as they came out. For sound, I preferred the MTW2 the best, though very minimal difference with the MTW3. I gave up on Sennheiser because I had to replace their earbuds so, so many times (under their great 2 yr warranty) due to one or the other earbud just ceasing to work for no apparent reason (I am very gentle, careful with them), that I had enough and started looking for a new company. After trying the Sony XM5, which were surprisingly lesser in sound than MTW series (at least to my own ear), I settled on the Technics AZ80. I like them, and am keeping them, and hope they will prove more durable than Sennheiser earbuds, which, honestly, shouldn't be too hard.

The thing is though, no matter what I try, I just can't get as close as I'd like to that Sennheiser sound that I grew accustomed to. I've studied the "Glossary of terms" here to try and describe the difference I sense between the AZ80 and MTW2/3's. Perhaps the terms "More Forward" vs. "More Laid Back" might explain the difference I sense? The MTW just seems more forward (and thus a bit brighter, clearer for lack of a better description) as if you were like 25 yards from the actual sound stage at a live concert as distinct from the Technics AZ80, which seem like your more 50-75 yards back. Does that make sense, maybe to those who've tried both the Sennheiser MTW and Technics AZ80? I prefer the Sennheiser sound a bit more, but certainly not their lack of durability. Again, I like the Technics sound well enough and am keeping them. But I'm wondering if there is something I've somehow missed, not tried in the settings? (I'm pretty sure I've tried everything.) Or might a different set of ear tips bring out that more "forward, clear, and bright" sound I like from the Sennheisers? Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks.
az80 has a very laid-back, forgiving signature that's non-fatiguing and excellent for long listening sessions. Since it's chill sounding at core, it could be very challenging to make it sound more forward and exiting through tip rolling, eq, or any other means.

ath-twx9 is a great alternative tws. it has very interesting mids and much more forward and dynamic sound that az80. it doesn't support ldac though so you need aptx adaptive source to hear it through its best implemented codec. i use creative bt-w5 dongle with my android s23 phone.

Dec 2, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #142 of 265
Hey all.. thinking I might try one of these. Problem is I have a dap that does support ldac but not the installing of the app... As I understand I need to enable ldac by disabling multi point in the settings and turn on ldac?? Could is do that on my android phone where I can install the app and then connect them to my dap using ldac? Eg does the setting stick even if I connect to a different device so ldac will be used when connecting to the dap..

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #143 of 265
Read this whole thread and I gotta say I completely disagree with the Treble+ setting, as it makes the AZ80 sound decidedly mid-fi. The high end becomes really hard and over cooked. Yes, the highs are shelved and lack air when compared to say Andromeda, and lack the energy of HA-FD01, but the stock tuning just works, as resolution and speed are still there. The AZ80 sounds suitably warm AND engaging, with a blacker background that really stands out. Perfect if you like a darker sound, which I do.

Dec 5, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #144 of 265
Read this whole thread and I gotta say I completely disagree with the Treble+ setting, as it makes the AZ80 sound decidedly mid-fi. The high end becomes really hard and over cooked. Yes, the highs are shelved and lack air when compared to say Andromeda, and lack the energy of HA-FD01, but the stock tuning just works, as resolution and speed are still there. The AZ80 sounds suitably warm AND engaging, with a blacker background that really stands out. Perfect if you like a darker sound, which I do.
I believe the recent SW update actually improved Default preset, as it's noticeably less bass offensive than it's used to be.
Also treble is highly tips dependent, there is always Custom if Treble+ is too much for your ears and tips combo.

Dec 5, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #145 of 265
I believe the recent SW update actually improved Default preset, as it's noticeably less bass offensive than it's used to be.
Also treble is highly tips dependent, there is always Custom if Treble+ is too much for your ears and tips combo.
Oh that would explain a lot. Yeah I only picked these up recently. Totally agree they are all over the place when it comes to tips. Is there any consensus that TWS have arrived at listenable with these? I mean we can all differ on sound preferences but there's generally consensus that gear is "good". I was so traumatized by Sony and Audeze BT offerings in the 2018/19 timeframe that I had given up on TWS headphones and earbuds until now.

Dec 7, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #148 of 265
A temperature question about AZ80.
The manual says the operating temp is from zero degrees (Celsius). But since we have winter outside, I feel I'd want to use them when it's below zero.
Any thoughts on how risky this would be?

I assume they need 20-30 mins when back to a warm place so the condensate is away.
But that is probably a good thing to do even when it's not minus temperature but relatively cold as well, like up to +10 degrees or so.

Dec 8, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #150 of 265
Just got mine yesterday. 3 things motivated choosing these over others (Sony, Sennheiser, B&O):
1- Sound quality based on the reviews and this thread + LDAC
2- Pricing. They had a substantial rebate on Amazon this week (in Canadian dollars: $100 off, making them $130 less that the Sony and $230 less than the B&O)
3- Reliability. Sennheiser`s MTW3 was $50 cheaper but I heard alot of issues related to some earbuds that fail after 12 months... +one of the earcups on my 2 year old headphones (HD650) has just stopped working last week!

My use case will be the office. We are located in an open space office area (managers included) with approximately 100 people and there is a white noise generator to tone down the ambient noise. This white noise is very fatiguing to me and I`ll be using the AZ80s to isolate myself from all the noise while still allowing me to do online meetings...

I`ve been toying around with them all evening yesterday and tuning them to my liking with the EQ. I`m an avid audiophile and I must say I`m impressed! A big bonus for me! I thought I`d be using these for background music but I`ve been critically listening with the AZ80s all evening yesterday and all morning today. Just Wow! They are changing my perception of wireless IEMs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back