Technics EAH-AZ80 True Wireless Earbuds
Nov 5, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #108 of 273
Are these worh getting over the XM5s and do they have mesh covering the nozzles so you can easily use your own tips without the worry of anything getting into the nozzles?
Yes, I tried the Denon Perl Pros, AZ80s, XM5 and the rest, the AZ80s are superior in fit and features.

Nov 5, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #110 of 273
PerlPros sounded great, but the left earbud had a TON of white noise.

Nov 5, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #111 of 273
Are these worh getting over the XM5s and do they have mesh covering the nozzles so you can easily use your own tips without the worry of anything getting into the nozzles?
I've purchased both the XM5 and AZ80 in the last week and have been shooting them out against each other using same tracks, replicated EQ settings (not entirely possible - because the ways the apps are set up but as close as possible). I must say that I like them both but they have entirely different sound signatures. I find the AZ80s warmer, darker with less sparkle than the XM5s. To be honest on direct shootout, I prefer the sound of the XM5s which is not to say that I don't like the AZ80s, I do and if I never heard the 5s I'd be perfectly happy with them. With the warmer signature, the AZ80s have a "fuller sound". I've read here and on the XM5 thread that the 80s have a wider sound stage. I wouldn't come to that conclusion - although I can see (hear) where it comes from. Because they are warmer and have more emphasis through the bottom end the whole sound field comes across more filled in. I've got the 80s in my ears right now and it is a very satisfying listen. I'm presently listening to the Rolling Stones "It's All Over Now" and there are very prominent Tambourines in the background with their shimmering cymbals otherwise called zills. On the 80s they are pleasant but a little recessed on the XM5s they sparkle and are more forward. So, what's your preference? That's one of the the questions you need to ask yourself to figure out which one is best for you.

The fit and finish of both are very good. The XM5s are considerably smaller but in my ear, with the right tip, they fit exceptionally well and stay perfectly secured. I can see that for some some they are fiddly and difficult to grab but I also think once you've played with them a little bit, one gets used to how to handle them.. It hasnt been an issue for me. The AZ80s while not significantly larger are easier to grab out of the case and out of the ear; they are a little wider and a little taller, giving them more grip area. The touch controls on the 80s are much easier to work with and can be customized. On the Sony's I had difficulty changing settings like volume / play - pause / & volume up down using the touch panels. I had no such issue with the Technics.

Technics App beats hands down Sony's App. There are more customizations and you can even re-map the touch controls. IMO Sony's Equalizer is better but overall, Technics App is better implemented, less confusing (learning curve) and offers more user customizable settings.

I honestly don't know which pair I'm going to keep but it will probably be the AZ80s because of my particular use case and the intuitive re-mapable touch controls even though I have a slight preference for the Sony sound. I'm a wired IEM guy and like quality sound. The incorporation of LDAC finally swung me over to TWS for gym and cycling uses. I bought the the AZ80 after purchasing the XM5 because I kept hearing about "Drop Out" issues with the XM5s. I went for 60KM bike ride yesterday with the XM5s, turned on Noise cancelling and had a great ride with no wind noise. Over the 60KMs I had three or four 1 to 2 second drop outs which was acceptable. With the smaller contact patch, the touch controls were not ideal and I had to try several times to issue the command I wanted (volume up / down & pause / play). I haven't had the opportunity to try the 80s on my bike yet but I already know the touch controls are easier to operate. I've remapped them to what is intuitive to me as attached.

I think it would be fair to say that I would be perfectly happy with either the XM5 or the AZ80. The AZ80 gets the edge for me because of the customizations options, predicable touch controls and because I believe what I've read that there are NO Dropouts. Even so, as I'm typing this, I've the AZ80s in my ears and my phone in my backpocket - which means I'm sitting on my phone and I've had 2 drop outs. That stopped when I flipped the phone the other way around (move the top edge of phone to the top of the pocket) The Sony's get the edge because of the extra sparkle. When I go for my next bike ride, I'll test the dropout issue for myself and if there are none - the 80s are staying.

I don't think anyone here can definitively tell you which is the better of the two FOR YOU. I like the warmth of the Technics I like the sparkle of the Sony. For my use case which is primarily fitness related the Technics are probably the better choice. For size the Sonys win, even the case is smaller and doesn't bulge in the pocket.
Incidently, I just adjusted the AZ80 EQ again. I had tried the Treble Plus and liked it but boosted the upper end even more. Screen shot of new EQ attached and it has brought the 80s closer to the XM5s while keeping all the AZ80 Warmth. What Can I say, I like them both.... Oh yeah, the AZ80 Nozzle does have a mesh whereas the XM5 does not.

Screenshot_20231105_125151_com.panasonic.technicsaudioconnect.jpg
Screenshot_20231105_131251_com.panasonic.technicsaudioconnect.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #113 of 273
I've purchased both the XM5 and AZ80 in the last week and have been shooting them out against each other using same tracks, replicated EQ settings (not entirely possible - because the ways the apps are set up but as close as possible). I must say that I like them both but they have entirely different sound signatures. I find the AZ80s warmer, darker with less sparkle than the XM5s. To be honest on direct shootout, I prefer the sound of the XM5s which is not to say that I don't like the AZ80s, I do and if I never heard the 5s I'd be perfectly happy with them. With the warmer signature, the AZ80s have a "fuller sound". I've read here and on the XM5 thread that the 80s have a wider sound stage. I wouldn't come to that conclusion - although I can see (hear) where it comes from. Because they are warmer and have more emphasis through the bottom end the whole sound field comes across more filled in. I've got the 80s in my ears right now and it is a very satisfying listen. I'm presently listening to the Rolling Stones "It's All Over Now" and there are very prominent Tambourines in the background with their shimmering cymbals otherwise called zills. On the 80s they are pleasant but a little recessed on the XM5s they sparkle and are more forward. So, what's your preference? That's one of the the questions you need to ask yourself to figure out which one is best for you.

The fit and finish of both are very good. The XM5s are considerably smaller but in my ear, with the right tip, they fit exceptionally well and stay perfectly secured. I can see that for some some they are fiddly and difficult to grab but I also think once you've played with them a little bit, one gets used to how to handle them.. It hasnt been an issue for me. The AZ80s while not significantly larger are easier to grab out of the case and out of the ear; they are a little wider and a little taller, giving them more grip area. The touch controls on the 80s are much easier to work with and can be customized. On the Sony's I had difficulty changing settings like volume / play - pause / & volume up down using the touch panels. I had no such issue with the Technics.

Technics App beats hands down Sony's App. There are more customizations and you can even re-map the touch controls. IMO Sony's Equalizer is better but overall, Technics App is better implemented, less confusing (learning curve) and offers more user customizable settings.

I honestly don't know which pair I'm going to keep but it will probably be the AZ80s because of my particular use case and the intuitive re-mapable touch controls even though I have a slight preference for the Sony sound. I'm a wired IEM guy and like quality sound. The incorporation of LDAC finally swung me over to TWS for gym and cycling uses. I bought the the AZ80 after purchasing the XM5 because I kept hearing about "Drop Out" issues with the XM5s. I went for 60KM bike ride yesterday with the XM5s, turned on Noise cancelling and had a great ride with no wind noise. Over the 60KMs I had three or four 1 to 2 second drop outs which was acceptable. With the smaller contact patch, the touch controls were not ideal and I had to try several times to issue the command I wanted (volume up / down & pause / play). I haven't had the opportunity to try the 80s on my bike yet but I already know the touch controls are easier to operate. I've remapped them to what is intuitive to me as attached.

I think it would be fair to say that I would be perfectly happy with either the XM5 or the AZ80. The AZ80 gets the edge for me because of the customizations options, predicable touch controls and because I believe what I've read that there are NO Dropouts. Even so, as I'm typing this, I've the AZ80s in my ears and my phone in my backpocket - which means I'm sitting on my phone and I've had 2 drop outs. That stopped when I flipped the phone the other way around (move the top edge of phone to the top of the pocket) The Sony's get the edge because of the extra sparkle. When I go for my next bike ride, I'll test the dropout issue for myself and if there are none - the 80s are staying.

I don't think anyone here can definitively tell you which is the better of the two FOR YOU. I like the warmth of the Technics I like the sparkle of the Sony. For my use case which is primarily fitness related the Technics are probably the better choice. For size the Sonys win, even the case is smaller and doesn't bulge in the pocket.
Incidently, I just adjusted the AZ80 EQ again. I had tried the Treble Plus and liked it but boosted the upper end even more. Screen shot of new EQ attached and it has brought the 80s closer to the XM5s while keeping all the AZ80 Warmth. What Can I say, I like them both.... Oh yeah, the AZ80 Nozzle does have a mesh whereas the XM5 does not.

Screenshot_20231105_125151_com.panasonic.technicsaudioconnect.jpgScreenshot_20231105_131251_com.panasonic.technicsaudioconnect.jpg
AZ80 Default preset is way too bassy, Treble+ preset works much better, or if you prefer to mess around Custom EQ.

Nov 5, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #114 of 273
AZ80 Default preset is way too bassy, Treble+ preset works much better, or if you prefer to mess around Custom EQ.
Thats basically what I've done. I took the Treble+ and reproduced it with a Custom Preset to add a bit more top end. I've been playing with it since the last post: I set 100hz to +1, 315hz to +1, 1k to +3, 3.1k to +6 and 10k to +8
It's more open sounding now but retaining the warmth and depth of the bottom end without being overpowering.
Screenshot_20231105_171823_com.panasonic.technicsaudioconnect.jpg

Nov 5, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #115 of 273
Would you go for the AZ60m2 over the AZ80 for fit, because the AZ80 looks fatter and might not go in as deep as the AZ60s? Im having trouble getting buds to stay in my ears as they keep working there way loose. I have the xm4s and tried a few tips but they always come loose, more so if Im talking?

Nov 5, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #116 of 273
Would you go for the AZ60m2 over the AZ80 for fit, because the AZ80 looks fatter and might not go in as deep as the AZ60s? Im having trouble getting buds to stay in my ears as they keep working there way loose. I have the xm4s and tried a few tips but they always come loose, more so if Im talking?
Everyone is going to have a different fit preference. With that said I find the AZ80 for more ergonomic and secure despite them looking a little chunkier. The AZ60 wasnt bad but they have an odd ridge on the inside that caused me significant discomfort and the overall shape of them is really just not shaped like an ear at all. The XM5s are smaller but I found they just floated in my ear held in place by the tip only and I found I did not like that at all. The AZ80 is much more like an universal IEM shape and they work great for me.

Nov 5, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #118 of 273

I did the same exact thing!!! This is a terrific write up. They both sound awesome and this is a good description of how the sounds differ. I kept them both and to be honest, I switch back and forth becasue I still can't decide. The Sony's do drop a little, but not for everyone for sure and Sony should release an update to fix them.

Every time i think I decide, I switch back to the other pair.

To honest, i would buy them both see what sound you like better and return the other one.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #119 of 273
Everyone is going to have a different fit preference. With that said I find the AZ80 for more ergonomic and secure despite them looking a little chunkier. The AZ60 wasnt bad but they have an odd ridge on the inside that caused me significant discomfort and the overall shape of them is really just not shaped like an ear at all. The XM5s are smaller but I found they just floated in my ear held in place by the tip only and I found I did not like that at all. The AZ80 is much more like an universal IEM shape and they work great for me.
Thats the problem I having with the XM4s, the tip only holds the bud in. So I might take a pun on the AZ80s and hopefully they might lock in my ears a little better, plus it will be nice to be able to fully customise the touch controls too...

Also how do you find the AZ80s to get out of the case? I know that the XM5s are a bit of a pain because they are slippery and thats another reason thats putting me off buying the XM5's, but the XM4's are not particularly easy either because there's not much to hold on to and the magnets are quite strong... Also can I use my XM4 tips on the AZ80 or are the nozzles different sizes?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #120 of 273
Another day and about 10 more hours with the 80s and I gotta say, they're growing on me. I can also say that the 10mm DD benefits from the passing hours, dare I say "Burn-In". Yes, I said it and I do hear them opening up a little. In all my past experience with TWS I've dialed down the treble a bit to avoid sibilance but with these I've turned it up and it's beginning to sound great. Here's a very good instrumental album from Mark Lettieri that showcases the low end air movement and the potential sparkle up top when adjusted to your liking:
Help yourself off my private server - enjoy! https://icedrive.net/s/jxi3SGTVjP23C9wDzTa6GbTNXZhf

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back