Technica's m50 vs pro700 mk2
Sep 20, 2012 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

psykiks

New Head-Fier
I am trying to decide between the m50 or the pro700 mk2.

background:
I will be using these cans for everyday listening and producing in with DAW's like Ableton so I will need a flat eq'ed cans and ones that are enjoyable for everyday listening as well. I will be using them at home and also to take to college so I can listen to on the bus.  I mostly listen to EDM so from techno,trance,psy,dub

At home I have the e7 e9 combo so I'm set for amp'ing.  I can bring the e7 with me if I'm on the go.

The m50's seem to be a better choice for what I need but I'm wondering if the pro700 mk2 can do the job?  I read that they sound darker which is not a good thing for production since I want cans to be neutral as possible. Are the pro700 mk2's centred around dj'ing?

Other questions

For the m50's I'm told to get the coiled wired version but the straight wire goes for about $111 dollars on ebay which saves me 30-40 bucks. Could I just get a banana tie or a wrap for the excess wire? Would love to save money for a future MIDI keyboard.

Thanks for your help

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 7
The MK2's are much less neutral than the m50's.  When I was using the m50's I had the strait cable and I used velcro to keep a coil neatly in my pocket when on the go, or set on my desk and that worked out great.  The Pro700MK2's have a stronger bass impact which I prefer, but I am not mixing audio so I can afford to have my music colored for casual listening.  I would think the majority of the people on head-fi would agree that the M50's will be far better suited for that task.  They are by no means perfectly neutral themselves, but close enough to get the job done.

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
The MK2's are much less neutral than the m50's.  When I was using the m50's I had the strait cable and I used velcro to keep a coil neatly in my pocket when on the go, or set on my desk and that worked out great.  The Pro700MK2's have a stronger bass impact which I prefer, but I am not mixing audio so I can afford to have my music colored for casual listening.  I would think the majority of the people on head-fi would agree that the M50's will be far better suited for that task.  They are by no means perfectly neutral themselves, but close enough to get the job done.

I know the m50's are slightly off from being neutral. Would my headphone amp make the bass equal to the Pro700MK2? I'm sure with lil' eq'ing I can get the impact.

Sep 20, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 7
You will have no issues enjoying the M50 as a basshead can with EQ.  You will surpass the native bass of the Pro700MK2's easily with a little EQing.  However, remember that if you are wanting a true basshead can the MK2's EQ just as well if not better, and also respond much better to amping.  If you want good amount of bass, the M50's can and will deliver it, but if you want to shake the side of your face the MK2's are on an entirely different level.

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
I've order the M50S. Is there any specific way of warping excess cable? I'm probably going to use a  bread tie to bind the cable.

http://www.animatedknots.com/chainsinnet/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

http://www.animatedknots.com/braid/index.php?Categ=decorative&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #7 of 7
Personally I much prefer a circular coil about 6 inches in diameter.  That way when you need the extra length you can have it without dealing with a kinked cable.  It will easily fit in all but the smallest of pockets on the go, and if you bind it on two sides it will always stay perfectly symmetrical.  Velcro is very nice for this purpose so long as you put the soft side outwards (otherwise it catches on your pockets.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back