[TEASER] Massdrop x ??? - New Custom In-Ear Monitor available September
Aug 20, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #78 of 677
Wow. Four drivers for bass alone? And two to cover the rest.

Awaiting sound signature reveal.......
popcorn.gif

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #80 of 677
Originally Posted by jincuteguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That kinda sucks that there's no Dynamic driver :frowning2: oh well.

Without dynamic driver, there will be no bass.  Aurisonics ASG-2.5 will still be better if they're about the same price.

Loudness is the amount of air moved. A small dynamic driver at 90dB SPL is moving the same amount of air as a balanced armature at 90dB SPL.

The slow decay of dynamic drivers in bass gives the perception of fuller bass whereas balanced armatures have fast decay.

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #84 of 677
Yes this signature is perfect! I am glad they went with a more fun sounding approach. I hope it doesn't sound veiled however, I hope for something with more air that seems a bit more clear than some warm IEM's. Warm airy sound = my personal preference.

Aug 20, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #87 of 677

We're partnering with [CLASSIFIED] to bring you a CIEM. More details to come. 

Schedule
8/19 reveal: # of drivers

We're going with a 6 driver, 4 way crossover design. Inside the CIEM, you'll find 2 super low, 2 low, 1 tweeter, and 1 super tweeter. Neat fact: the super tweeter being used in this project is a new driver just released in 2015, and as far as we're aware this is the first implementation of it in a CIEM.

8/20 reveal: sound signature

We approached the tuning of the new CIEM (code name: Six) with a vision in mind.

The baseline was based on research Dr. Olive at Harman has been doing the past couple of years. Their studies found that headphones received favorably by the average listener had a frequency response that was smoothed, extended in bandwidth, and a bass lift simulating an accurate loudspeaker calibrated in a listening room), read more directly from the source here: http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2014/10/at-recent-137th-convention-of-audio.html

From our personal experiences, these three factors hold true. A headphone that exhibits no valleys or peaks, reaches far on both sides of the frequency response range, and has a lift in the lower end that’s tastefully done are typically desirable traits we look for in a product.

Keeping the above in mind, the CIEM was designed with the following goals:
  1. Extension into the sub-bass region for a lower end rumble that’s tight and controlled
  2. A midrange that makes vocals sound smooth and natural
  3. Highs that are textured and detailed without being shrill or harsh
  4. A deep soundstage with excellent imaging

Olive-Welti’s compensation curve was a good place to start with the tuning with a proven crowd-pleasing sound signature. Minor lifts were added to the sub-bass and highs to give the Six a slight V-shaped tilt while being careful not to push it too far.

The result, we hope, is a sound that is engaging and musical across genres that appeals to casual listeners and seasoned Audiophiles alike.

8/21 reveal: price, accessories, customization options
8/24 reveal: manufacturer unveiling + AMA (Ask Me Anything)

If you guys can make all of that work isn't this a perfect IEM?  But I dont believe in there is a perfect IEM or any Headphone in general.  
There has to be a weak area somewhere, it can't have really deep good bass, midrange, and highs, and big deep soundstage.  Like one or two of these areas have to be lower in order to make the other areas better.  

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #90 of 677
Strange timing, announced just as the UERM drop ends. I guess they are going for slightly different signatures though...

My wallet (just) survived the UE drop. This time, if it's silicone and they can hit ~$800 mark, I don't think it will be so lucky...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back