[TEASER] Massdrop x ??? - New Custom In-Ear Monitor available September
Aug 20, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #93 of 677
Silicon,$500-,more resolution and naturalness then my asg1plus then I'm sold :sunglasses:

I would be surprised if they can do a 6 driver silicone ciem for $500 but +1 for optimism! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #94 of 677
  Why do you want silicone over plastic?

way better isolation
better comfort
more durable against shock
better (less) resonance with low frequencies.

all the above and also a dash of personal preference

I would be surprised if they can do a 6 driver silicone ciem for $500 but +1 for optimism! 
biggrin.gif

haha one can dream however,

if somehow this product is for anything less than $700 and actually delivers.. the word game changer would be an understatement.

Aug 20, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #98 of 677
Assuming that the manufacturer is Custom Art, then you silicon lovers (this is seriously wrong in a different context LOL) will be pleased to know that Custom Art started off with silicon CIEMs only, a big departure from other makers which only do acrylic CIEMs exclusively. Custom Art only started providing acrylic CIEMs recently so they definitely have alot of experience in silicon CIEMs.

However, assuming that the CIEM in the poster is the actual product that we'll be receiving, then there is a minute chance that it will be silicon since someone has rightly pointed out that the CIEM is transparent and hence likely acrylic.

Lastly, I just want to point out that I love the description of the sound signature so far, but tonality accuracy and naturalness are the most important factors to me and can't be described with a frequency graph. I'm still on the fence on whether to spend a significant chunk of my audio budget on a CIEM that I do not know how it sounds like, especially since I'm not in the market for a CIEM (need a new headphones, or desktop DAC much more urgently).

Also as an aside, it will be good, after the maker is announced, for Massdrop to give a recommendation of which of the maker's current product sound closest to this ??? CIEM so that at least we could listen to it and gain a rough idea of whether it's to our flavor or not.

Aug 20, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #99 of 677

Assuming that the manufacturer is Custom Art, then you silicon lovers (this is seriously wrong in a different context LOL) will be pleased to know that Custom Art started off with silicon CIEMs only, a big departure from other makers which only do acrylic CIEMs exclusively. Custom Art only started providing acrylic CIEMs recently so they definitely have alot of experience in silicon CIEMs.

However, assuming that the CIEM in the poster is the actual product that we'll be receiving, then there is a minute chance that it will be silicon since someone has rightly pointed out that the CIEM is transparent and hence likely acrylic.

Lastly, I just want to point out that I love the description of the sound signature so far, but tonality accuracy and naturalness are the most important factors to me and can't be described with a frequency graph. I'm still on the fence on whether to spend a significant chunk of my audio budget on a CIEM that I do not know how it sounds like, especially since I'm not in the market for a CIEM (need a new headphones, or desktop DAC much more urgently).

Also as an aside, it will be good, after the maker is announced, for Massdrop to give a recommendation of which of the maker's current product sound closest to this ??? CIEM so that at least we could listen to it and gain a rough idea of whether it's to our flavor or not.

All valid points. I am still holding out (and hoping) for silicone though!

I agree, the signature *sounds* very compelling...

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #100 of 677

I wouldn't rule out silicone just yet from that picture. Custom Art has produced some silicone monitors that are at least as transparent as what's shown, like this H8P:

Aug 20, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #101 of 677
Yes, I could.

But I won't :wink_face:

Only if... It could be accompanied by the sunrise theme from 2001: a Space Odyssey!
Forgive me for not remembering the name of the song just now (was it a Strauss composition?). Loooong day.

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #104 of 677
as someone new to ciem, what would be the considerations for picking between silicone vs acrylic?

For starters...

They each have their own strengths and weaknesses when it comes to blocking out outside frequencies. Silicon maintains a better seal and less noise conduction when you're opening your mouth, chewing, etc.

I'm sure others will chime in :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back