[TEASER] Massdrop x ??? - New Custom In-Ear Monitor available September
Aug 21, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #106 of 677
I mean, I've heard Acrylic is easier to insert and take back out, possibly some clarity advantages from the more rigid structure, more durable for long-term ownership, and easier to make with special/unusual color designs,

But I've heard Silicon is more comfortable due to it's flexibility, CustomArt and a few others have really pushed the bar with more complex art, less bass resonance, comfort, better sound isolation and easier to get a good seal, comfortable, and is less sensitive to contact microphonics (rubbing sound in your ear), and more comfortable to wear.

I know I know, but seriously, I've heard of people wearing either CIEM material all-day or falling asleep with them on, so there must be a lot to the custom shape. I personally ordered a CA silicon for myself, but I haven't owned a CIEM yet.

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #107 of 677
What are some weaknesses of silicone?

Silicone done wrong can be butt-ugly - bubbles and mottled color. Like a ball of phlegm..... 

Aug 21, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #108 of 677
  I wouldn't rule out silicone just yet from that picture. Custom Art has produced some silicone monitors that are at least as transparent as what's shown, like this H8P:

That's a good point. 

However, I get the feeling that Custom Art will like to introduce more acrylic models given that now, they only have one. We shall see.

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #109 of 677

way better isolation
better comfort
more durable against shock
better (less) resonance with low frequencies.

all the above and also a dash of personal preference
haha one can dream however,

if somehow this product is for anything less than $700 and actually delivers.. the word game changer would be an understatement.

Isn't silicone the stuff that they used to make your ears impressions with?

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #110 of 677

if somehow this product is for anything less than $700 and actually delivers.. the word game changer would be an understatement.

A 6 BA CIEM under $700 - a game changer - that would be a 1964 V6-Stage... brilliant CIEM, just not silicone..... 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 21, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #111 of 677
  A 6 BA CIEM under $700 - a game changer - that would be a 1964 V6-Stage... brilliant CIEM, just not silicone..... 
rolleyes.gif

Was hoping with massdrop price it would be around $500ish.

But the problem is, how do we order a Custom IEM through massdrop? Like do we send the Impressions to Massdrop ? or the manufacture?

Aug 21, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #112 of 677
But the problem is, how do we order a Custom IEM through massdrop? Like do we send the Impressions to Massdrop ? or the manufacture?

Historically with CIEM Massdrops, the participants confirm their order with the manufacturer and then send their impressions directly to them, with Massdrop only acting as the intermediary for the payments.

I suppose this could be different due to Massdrop's more direct involvement, but I don't see any reason that Custom Art would need/want Massdrop to be the go-between on sending impressions.

Aug 21, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #114 of 677
What are some weaknesses of silicone?

I had put this question to @average_joe on THL earlier this year

Quote below:
Let’s see…downsides of silicone:
– The shells should be removed by the shell while with my acrylic shells I just twist out using the protruding cable
– If you drop the shell, silicone bounces and can temporarily deform, but I am not sure that is a true issue vs. acrylic
– From what I have been told but haven’t experienced is silicone is more prone to moisture related issues, although it may be a specific manufacturer (see ACS); hearing aid dryers are recommended
There are pluses and minuses to everything depending on how you look at things. While I like silicone shells, I really can say I don’t have a preference. My preference is for an excellent fit.

And art options are limited in silicone.

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #117 of 677

Some people may have allergies to silicon. Acrylic is probably more inert?

Silicone and acrylic are both polymers and they are available in a variety of different grades. Both are being used in medical applications or in pharma manufacturing. Silicone e.g. is used in many medical devices, such as contact lenses or for cosmetic augmentation of the body (you know what I mean).

So, silicone allergy is very rare because it is considered quite inert.  There are different grades or qualities of silicone including a controlled medical grade variant https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_grade_silicone. There is a lot of scientific work done to investigate any potential risks from polymers. I dont know but presume that CA is using medical grade silicone, someone please ask Piotr to confirm.

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #118 of 677
As well as hoping for affordable silicone, my fingers are also crossed for Linum cables (and T2 connectors).

I've been using the 2 pin version of the Linum BA-X cable since it came out, and there's no way I'm going back to conventional cables.

I don't really subscribe to the belief that cables can make a profound difference (sonically) but the comfort advantages are far greater than I'd imagined them to be.

Not many CIEM manufacturers seem to offer them yet though.

I'd really like my next CIEM to have Linums T2 connector, as it looks great, and seems to be a properly concieved design, unlike the somewhat primitive 2 pin system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back