[TEASER] Massdrop x ??? - New Custom In-Ear Monitor available September
Dec 18, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #616 of 677

Yep it works, they look lovely! Just be careful about the bax cable if you have it hooked up to a phone in a jeans pocket. I ruined 2 cables before I realized what the problem was. It's just too fragile.

Could you elaborate a little bit more? Are the connectors the weak part or does the cable itself break easily? Just wondering because I will definitely use them hooked up to my phone in a jeans pocket. Thanks!

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #617 of 677

Could you elaborate a little bit more? Are the connectors the weak part or does the cable itself break easily? Just wondering because I will definitely use them hooked up to my phone in a jeans pocket. Thanks!

Certainly. Yes it's the 3.5mm connector that for me got a TINY bend to it that made the sound cut out/static/fubar on one earpiece. But mind you I wear skinny jeans so there's always pressure there. However my Earwerkz/Empire Ears standard cable that's 90 angled and quite low profile have had no issues at all. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #618 of 677

Certainly. Yes it's the 3.5mm connector that for me got a TINY bend to it that made the sound cut out/static/fubar on one earpiece. But mind you I wear skinny jeans so there's always pressure there. However my Earwerkz/Empire Ears standard cable that's 90 angled and quite low profile have had no issues at all. 

I had the same problem... The sound was cutting of at the 3.5mm base....

I took it to a tech guy who soldered another 3.5mm amphenol connector for me. At least now this part of the cable is more rugged :)

He really had some trouble with the EXTREMELY tiny wires.... It's crazy how little they are....

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #619 of 677

Thanks! Just wondering whether a little bit of shrink tape at the connector's side could reinforce the structure and help with the issue. :) 

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #620 of 677
Just got my pair! Got slapped with a 77 dollar tax.... Didn't know that could happen.
Few things on my mind, bad then good
Bad
1) The Linum Bax cable is a tangling nightmare..... Spent 2 minutes untangling it when I opened the box, changed to my BTG audio starlight cable for the time being.
2) There is a slight crack in the plastic on the right iem faceplate, it is noticeable and it's going to bug me everything I try and admire my pair
Good
1)The iems are larger than my Ei.3 which is great, easier to take out and put in.
2)The fit is fantastic, I thought my Ei.3s were comfortable, these are even more so. They were made from the same pair of impressions so I have no idea why the fit is slight different but it is.
3) The bores are both big VS a big and small bore on the Ei.3 which will be great for cleaning the canals.

Sound impressions to follow
Here is a picture of them!

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #621 of 677
Certainly a looker Benjamin. Like the metallic faceplate.

Dec 22, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #622 of 677
1) The Linum Bax cable is a tangling nightmare..... Spent 2 minutes untangling it when I opened the box, changed to my BTG audio starlight cable for the time being.
1)The iems are larger than my Ei.3 which is great, easier to take out and put in.

I agree about the Linum cable. Just got mine today and while I really like the cable it does tangle quite easily. But it's really nice that it is almost invisible. Just afraid that the mini-jack connector will stop working at some point.

The ei.xx is bigger than my H8P (by just a little) - however not finding it as easy to put in as the silicone ones (they are more flexible), but other than that the fit seems to be fine (I might have an issue with the right ear, but will have to use them a little more to be sure).

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #623 of 677
I just got my Ei.XX yesterday. Personally I find the Linum cables to be the best cables that I have ever come across. They do tangle easily, despite being advertised as tangle-resistant. But when used, they are extremely low profile and are very unobtrusive. I found that careful winding and storage is key to preventing tangling. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #624 of 677
The key of keeping Linum cable under control is to move chin slider all the way up to earpieces after you done.  This way you are dealing with a more manageable "single" wire you wrap around your 3 fingers and store in the case
wink.gif

Dec 23, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #625 of 677
Mine arrive on Monday.

I am not quite used to the fit (first CIEM here) but they sound amazing. A good upgrade from my SM64, clearly.

Just a picture, impressions later (if I find some courage).

Yes, they look like Acain's ones.
It is a good remainder to have a look to @acain review here

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #626 of 677
Received my Ei.xx from the 2nd drop yesterday also. Thanks for sending them out before Christmas! - really nice.

Just wanted to share some pictures and initial impressions.

I've ordered them with the Linum Bax cable, but are going to be using that with my Harmony 8 Pro's instead, so here they are shown with the standard black cable (originally from my Pro's). 

Having only listened to them for a few hours on and off it's hard to describe, but they do have more sub-bass and punch than my H8P - the highs/mids are not as clear and they are less detailed (to be expected - they are very different). My brain takes a long time to adapt to different sounding devices (yes, I'm a little slow), so I have to give it a few days before coming to a conclusion (I remember the first time I heard my H8P I didn't like the sound signature, but now I honestly can't live without them and everything else sounds off -  will probably feel the same with the Ei.xx in a few days). :) I think most “normal” people would enjoy the Ei.xx as it has a more familiar/mainstream sound, while the H8P sometimes are too revealing.

Having used silicone CIEMs for the last 3-4 months it took some getting used to the acrylic - not as flexible when inserting, so can’t be slam-shoved in as fast as silicone - I almost broke my ear doing it. :) 
They isolate less, although the difference is actually not that big, which is fine by me (as I'm going to be using them in traffic and need to hear just a little of the outside world). :)

I'm using them with the O2+ODAC on the desktop and an Oppo HA-2 on the go. The Oppo being a little bright (sabre glare) sometimes push the treble too much on the H8P, but it really fits the Ei.xx. So right now I prefer the O2+ODAC stack for the H8P and the mobile Oppo HA-2 for the Ei.xx :) The Ei.xx is however a lot more sensitive so now I can hear the “noise floor” on the Oppo (the O2+ODAC remains totally black).

Thanks to Custom Art (and Massdrop) for some fantastic products. I started out just being curious about the Music One as a friend recommended them half a year ago. Then I discovered the Music Two – and then the ei.3 instead and really considered ordering those. But then Massdrop had the H8P, so I went for them as my first CIEMs. 4 months later I have now purchased the H8P, Ei.xx and two headphone amps (the Oppo and the Objective-stack). This is an expensive (but also rewarding) hobby. :) 
Piotr, please don't make any new products in 2016 or you will ruin me :) and If you do please make it a H8P+ with the bass from the Ei.xx – and I will have them surgically implanted. :)

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #627 of 677
  Received my Ei.xx from the 2nd drop yesterday also. Thanks for sending them out before Christmas! - really nice.

Just wanted to share some pictures and initial impressions.

I've ordered them with the Linum Bax cable, but are going to be using that with my Harmony 8 Pro's instead, so here they are shown with the standard black cable (originally from my Pro's). 

Having only listened to them for a few hours on and off it's hard to describe, but they do have more sub-bass and punch than my H8P - the highs/mids are not as clear and they are less detailed (to be expected - they are very different). My brain takes a long time to adapt to different sounding devices (yes, I'm a little slow), so I have to give it a few days before coming to a conclusion (I remember the first time I heard my H8P I didn't like the sound signature, but now I honestly can't live without them and everything else sounds off -  will probably feel the same with the Ei.xx in a few days). :) I think most “normal” people would enjoy the Ei.xx as it has a more familiar/mainstream sound, while the H8P sometimes are too revealing.

Having used silicone CIEMs for the last 3-4 months it took some getting used to the acrylic - not as flexible when inserting, so can’t be slam-shoved in as fast as silicone - I almost broke my ear doing it. :) 
They isolate less, although the difference is actually not that big, which is fine by me (as I'm going to be using them in traffic and need to hear just a little of the outside world). :)

I'm using them with the O2+ODAC on the desktop and an Oppo HA-2 on the go. The Oppo being a little bright (sabre glare) sometimes push the treble too much on the H8P, but it really fits the Ei.xx. So right now I prefer the O2+ODAC stack for the H8P and the mobile Oppo HA-2 for the Ei.xx :) The Ei.xx is however a lot more sensitive so now I can hear the “noise floor” on the Oppo (the O2+ODAC remains totally black).

Thanks to Custom Art (and Massdrop) for some fantastic products. I started out just being curious about the Music One as a friend recommended them half a year ago. Then I discovered the Music Two – and then the ei.3 instead and really considered ordering those. But then Massdrop had the H8P, so I went for them as my first CIEMs. 4 months later I have now purchased the H8P, Ei.xx and two headphone amps (the Oppo and the Objective-stack). This is an expensive (but also rewarding) hobby. :) 
Piotr, please don't make any new products in 2016 or you will ruin me :) and If you do please make it a H8P+ with the bass from the Ei.xx – and I will have them surgically implanted. :)

More things to send my wallet running for the hills LOL. Seriously though, another addition to the Ei acrylic line like a triple driver with more natural sound than the Ei.3 and I'll hard pressed not to get it. I really like CustomArt's well, custom art.

Dec 24, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #628 of 677

don't forget the Ei.xx mids as well <3  dang i would like to see this happen

or lets say i want it to happen!  >:)

Jan 27, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #630 of 677
The drop is live again, in case anyone missed it.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/customart-massdrop-exclusive-ei-xx-ciem

To current owners; are you still enjoying Ei.XX after the 3 or so months that you have owned them? I often find monitors that 'wow' on first listen can become tiresome after a while, whereas others that are initially a bit 'meh' stand up to extended listening a bit better...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back