[TEASER] Massdrop x ??? - New Custom In-Ear Monitor available September
Sep 4, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #286 of 677
I saw a bunch of audiologists between Missouri and Ohio offering $50 for a pair of impressions, but for some reason the places recommended by Westone and JHAudio in my city of Pittsburgh were $100-$150. Sorry, no... I'll easily look for someone offering a more average price (and I found one, about 40 minutes drive north but Eh, I saved $100).

Sep 7, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #288 of 677
So my search has come down to these, Audiofly 180's and the Noble Savants.  I want accurate bass, natural and musical mids with no muddling of mid bass and extended highs that won't ever fatigue. I also need comfort.  I can't hear any of these in person obviously, so I guess i have to use graphs to really see what they all do.  There is a Savant graph on their thread and one here.  

Has anyone heard the Savant vs the Audiofly?  I'm leaning toward the Savant over the 180's and then I'd put them against these.   At least Noble and CA seem to have great owners who have passion for music.  I almost hate making posts asking questions as I don't want to disrespect the owners.  Thanks.

Sep 8, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #289 of 677
Hmm as far as I know, graphs will never show you whether bass is accurate and mids are natural and musical... At best you can guess that highs may become overpresent if the graph shows a very strong treble present, but even then it is not guaranteed (think H8Pros for instance). The FR graph really just gives you a generic idea of the response but no more.
If you look at the CSD, you will get an idea of the sustain and decay, which will also provide some indication. But there is nothing that replaces a self test or the review of someone whom you know has a 'similar hearing'. In my case, I'm lucky : whatever Piotr hears I know I will hear the same, so it really is easy :)

Sep 8, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #290 of 677
Hmm as far as I know, graphs will never show you whether bass is accurate and mids are natural and musical... At best you can guess that highs may become overpresent if the graph shows a very strong treble present, but even then it is not guaranteed (think H8Pros for instance). The FR graph really just gives you a generic idea of the response but no more.
If you look at the CSD, you will get an idea of the sustain and decay, which will also provide some indication. But there is nothing that replaces a self test or the review of someone whom you know has a 'similar hearing'. In my case, I'm lucky : whatever Piotr hears I know I will hear the same, so it really is easy
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd say sometimes you have to look at the frequency response graph in conjunction with other data, for example the cumulative spectral decay graphs and impulse response. 

But I will concede that intangibles like soundstage have to be evaluated only through listening, and even so perceptions may vary,

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #292 of 677
I saw a bunch of audiologists between Missouri and Ohio offering $50 for a pair of impressions, but for some reason the places recommended by Westone and JHAudio in my city of Pittsburgh were $100-$150. Sorry, no... I'll easily look for someone offering a more average price (and I found one, about 40 minutes drive north but Eh, I saved $100).

Well by chance if you just so happen to come to Charlotte I got my impressions done for $45

Sep 10, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #294 of 677
@piotrus-g
I've asked my nearby audiologist and they use impression material from the brand "Comfoor". Normally they make just hearing-aids and protection. They use the orange color for custom hearing protection. Would that be good enough to work with for you?
Otherwise I'm going to look for someone else.

Sep 10, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #295 of 677
  @piotrus-g
I've asked my nearby audiologist and they use impression material from the brand "Comfoor". Normally they make just hearing-aids and protection. They use the orange color for custom hearing protection. Would that be good enough to work with for you?
Otherwise I'm going to look for someone else.

The name doesn't ring a bell. Sorry. I would have to see actual impressions to give you more details i.e. whether we worked with such material
Anyways from my short google search it looks like they are OEMing with Dreve (at least that's what I've concluded) so it may be good after all.

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #296 of 677
Already thought it was some sort of 'own' brand. I think I will pay them a visit when I'm back from vacation.
Thanks for your quick response!

Sep 11, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #297 of 677
  Already thought it was some sort of 'own' brand. I think I will pay them a visit when I'm back from vacation.
Thanks for your quick response!

Haha, surprisingly we received impressions made from comfoor today lol - seriously ! Though it's made from dark-green putty not orange. It's in "ok" category meaning it's workable but not recommended by us.

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #298 of 677

Haha, surprisingly we received impressions made from comfoor today lol - seriously ! Though it's made from dark-green putty not orange. It's in "ok" category meaning it's workable but not recommended by us.

Ah, ok. They e-mailed me they have different colors (light green, medium green and orange) and that orange is used for making impressions they use to fabricate hearing protection.
So I think you got a set of medium green.

Can you be a bit more specific of what you're looking for in a impression? What is 'wrong' with the medium green that it qualifies is "ok"?

Sep 13, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #299 of 677
  Ah, ok. They e-mailed me they have different colors (light green, medium green and orange) and that orange is used for making impressions they use to fabricate hearing protection.
So I think you got a set of medium green.

Can you be a bit more specific of what you're looking for in a impression? What is 'wrong' with the medium green that it qualifies is "ok"?

It's a matter of material structure/density, some of impression material are too hard or too dense for easy processing, some materials always end up with bubbles and dents, some materials tend to shrink after few weeks, while f.e. we can use two year old impressions from Dreve with fine results.

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #300 of 677
@piotrus-g

Impressions on appointment for Friday!!! apparently HearForLife Toronto is uber busy.

Im very excited.

Also @piotrus-g , is it possible for a (more or less) fee to have them made into Silicone? Just an inquiry, not saying thats what I want, but maybe others have the same inquiry.

kindest regards,
tjl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back