[TEASER] Massdrop x ??? - New Custom In-Ear Monitor available September
Sep 20, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #316 of 677
Dang i want to order one, waiting for the mass drop :_)

i always loved the SE series, and to think something is similar in a CIEM form exist, or could be better, oh can't wait T_T 

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #317 of 677
Alex great pictures the shells look sooo clear, can't wait to hear them. I reviewed the Ei.3 and the low end is phenomenal I can't wait to hear the new ones.  Do they go deeper into sub bass then the Shures Alex?

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #318 of 677
Custom Art Ei.xx (Mass Drop edition)

First Impression.

After an overnight burn in (which btw didn't change anything) and 2 days of listening, I found Ei.xx to have a smooth detailed sound with slightly enhanced low end impact and a balanced transparent signature. 

Ei.xx low end is very articulate, tight, well controlled, with a nice texture of sub-bass rumble that is not just great in quality but also in quantity perfectly balanced to support a fast mid-bass punch.  There is absolutely no bleed into lower mids.  You have 4 dedicated bass drivers: 2 super low + 2 low combined together going into one of the two sound bores in the nozzle.  Typically, I'm used to hearing bass as two dimensional sound, while here it's more multi-dimensional, dynamic, and in perfect balance.  At the same time with such attention to low end, I wouldn't call Ei.xx basshead headphones, but they for sure will be highly appreciated by anybody who craves high quality articulate bass impact.  If you are a fan of SE846 and UM Pro 50 bass - Ei.xx will be not just your cup of tea, it will be the whole tea kettle!!!

With midrange, when I saw previously posted FR graph and slightly scooped mids around 500Hz-1kHz, I thought a sound signature will be a little v-shaped due to mids being a little recessed, but you quickly realize that is not the case once you start listening to Ei.xx, and especially after I switched to Linum BaX cable.  You have 4 drivers dedicated to low end, and 2 dedicate to top end (1 tweeter and 1 super tweeter), and the valley of that scoop actually works out perfectly to partition low end and top end into their own two separate domains where you can easily shift focus from one to the other.  That slight scoop enhances dynamic impact of the bass and improves clarity of the upper mids.  Lower mids are there and not too thin or too thick, maybe a bit lean while still adding a nice body to the sound, and upper mids are shining through with a detailed organic sound.  Upper mids are not analytical or micro-detailed, but they have an excellent retrieval of details while still remaining smooth and natural, especially with vocals (both male and female) making them shine through with a clean natural timbre.

Despite 2 dedicated tweeter, sound of which is combined going to the second bore in the nozzle, it seems their tuning it shifted more toward upper mids and lower treble.  Treble is smooth and detailed, not extra crisp or super "hi-def" extended, and also lacking some airiness.  But at the same time it has a rather good definition, and absolutely NO sibilance which is fantastic for extended listening sessions.  I threw at Ei.xx all my sibilant tracks, and it pass the test with flying colors.  The focus of the treble is definitely to extend clarity and brightness of the upper mids, rather than going into higher resolution of crispy details.

Sound separation is pretty good, with a clear layering effect between vocals and instruments.  I was pleased with that since it prevents congestion of a sound, even in complicated song passages.  Usually, a smooth sound signature with a stronger bass impact means a warmer more congested sound, but it's not the case with Ei.xx tuning.  Along with a great sound separation, I was also very impressed with a soundstage which expands in all 3 dimensions, definitely way above average.  I would say that low end has a little better expansion while upper mids is slight behind, and only because of less airiness in the sound.  To my ears placement of instruments and vocals was not exactly 3D in space, but it still had a very convincing natural imaging.  This type of imaging along with a smooth detailed transparent sound would make Ei.xx not only great for audiophiles and casual sound enthusiast, but also for performing artists to use these CIEMs as monitors on stage, which btw also have a great sound isolation!

I also want to mention that although I was under impression that fitment would be the same between different CIEMs made from multiple identical impressions I had with the same audiologist, CA Ei.xx turned out to have a better fitment (in comparison to my other CIEM pair from another manufacturer) and was much easier to put in and take out of my ears.  I know that Piotr just recently switched from silicone to acrylic, so he is still perfecting his workmanship with a new material, but they already look pretty good!  Maybe a few odd bubbles and the area around 2pin connector doesn't have as consistent material transition (only internally, externally shell is super smooth and very comfortable).  But at the same time with a clear transparent finish everything is under microscope, while with darker finish and using faceplate - none of this would have been even visible.

Overall, I'm delighted with a sound signature Piotr crafted for this exclusive MD Ei.xx model.  My collection of multi-driver IEMs usually falls into warm/organic and bright/revealing categories, and I'm in a constant search of a happy medium to take the best of both worlds and bridge them in one IEM/CIEM.  Based on what I'm hearing, Piotr/CA with his Ei.xx CIEM took a big step closer to my dream sound signature.  Maybe a little more airiness with a slightly better treble extension would have put these in my book of end-game CIEM, but still with their sound tuning now I can probably retire my W60/W50/UMPro50 collection and no longer lust after SE846 bass.  I have more upcoming premium CIEM reviews, so it will be interesting to see how other ones stack up against this model.  For now I can say with certainty that Ei.xx sets a new reference bar for my future CIEM comparisons, especially when it comes to bass evaluation!!!

(w/Linum BaX cable)

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #319 of 677
Can't wait to enjoy this piece of epicness, thanks for the detailed review.

Sep 21, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #321 of 677
  Overall, I'm delighted with a sound signature Piotr crafted for this exclusive MD Ei.xx model.  My collection of multi-driver IEMs usually falls into warm/organic and bright/revealing categories, and I'm in a constant search of a happy medium to take the best of both worlds and bridge them in one IEM/CIEM.  Based on what I'm hearing, Piotr/CA with his Ei.xx CIEM took a big step closer to my dream sound signature.  Maybe a little more airiness with a slightly better treble extension would have put these in my book of end-game CIEM, but still with their sound tuning now I can probably retire my W60/W50/UMPro50 collection and no longer lust after SE846 bass.  I have more upcoming premium CIEM reviews, so it will be interesting to see how other ones stack up against this model.  For now I can say with certainty that Ei.xx sets a new reference bar for my future CIEM comparisons, especially when it comes to bass evaluation!!!

Thanks for this Alex!!!
My wallet crying now... 
tongue.gif

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #323 of 677
  Hi people, here are my Ei.XX. First two pictures are HDR to show the neat build quality, but they don't show the right faceplate and body color - the last two pictures are here for that. (and please pardon my iPhone quality). 1st impressions to follow hopefully today.

Je bave de jalousie.

Sep 21, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #324 of 677
  Hi people, here are my Ei.XX. First two pictures are HDR to show the neat build quality, but they don't show the right faceplate and body color - the last two pictures are here for that. (and please pardon my iPhone quality). 1st impressions to follow hopefully today.

Plain, simple, and beautiful. Very nice. And the dreaded memory wire :D

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #325 of 677
Disclaimer

Those are first impressions, and NOT A REVIEW, or even close to a proper feedback. They are based on about 12 hours of listening with:
- 3 hours on Gungnit MB + Lyr2, (turned out I received my Gungnir MB at the same time as the Ei.XX, and couldn’t resist giving it a test drive, but decided to stop because changing two elements at the same time is not a very good idea imho)
- 3 hours on Uberfrost + Lyr2,
- 4 hours on iPhone 6,
- 2 hours on iPhone 6 + Oppo HA-2.

My pair of Ei.XX were provided free of charge, and I’m not involved financially. I try to be a no-BS no-hype dude, so I was a little ill-at-ease with the whole concept. I discussed this out with Custom Art, and the non-negotiable condition for this experience was absolute freedom of speech. And since you’re reading this, my request was gracefully accepted.

For reference, I have made a review of Ei.3 (http://www.head-fi.org/products/customart-ei-3-acrylic-custom-iem/reviews/13821 and http://www.tellementnomade.org/test-custom-art-ei-3), and Harmony 8 Pro (http://www.tellementnomade.org/test-des-harmony-8-pro-custom-art).

To sum up : you may think that I like Piotr, or that I’m excited because I got it first and free. And you'll be right. Nonetheless,  this has NO bearing on what you will read below.

Packaging and Fit

Packaging is standard Custom Art, that is, the Pelican 1010 box with a cleaning tool, Ei.XX with cable and a neat warranty / introduction card.

When I received my Ei.3, the fit was good and comfy, yet not as tight as with my Harmony 8 Pro or SE5. The situation is different with Ei.XX : the fit is perfect, and if it wasn’t for the nature of acrylic (which imho isolates less than silicone), the isolation would be identical to that of Harmony 8 Pro and SE5. Please note that those were made after impressions that I sent Piotr from over a year ago, which means that well-made prints can yield long lasting results with the rights artisan :)

SE846

I’m introducing this here because when I joined in, Piotr asked me if I could try and make some Ei.3 and SE846 comparisons. I thus borrowed SE846 from a friend (blue filters, Shure olives), and listened exclusively to them for two and a half weeks preceding the reception of Ei.XX. I used exclusively the tracks mentioned in the Ei.3 review.

In view of this, a lot of the following will be made in reference to SE846 and Ei.3

Scene and separation

The scene has little in common with Ei.3 in that it is nowhere as shallow. I would tend to think that Ei.XX is a little less frontal/close to you than Ei.3 but it could also be that the depth of Ei.XX gives me that impression.

With respect to SE846, my perception is that the scene is maybe a little less stretched horizontally, but more evenly spread: sometimes the SE846 gave me the impression that it was so stretched that there was a small void in front of me in the middle. For example, the trombone/trumpet (dunno what it is exactly) in Myopie from PandaDub really comes from deep and far. Same with the resounding effect in Feral from Radiohead. It is not only deep : it is well defined in terms of location (to the right and in the back).

The separation appears to be just a notch below that of SE846, but this has to be confirmed for sure, and could stem from many things which I will have to determine in the actual review (i.e. musicality, less stretched scene, or simply less precision). Comparing to Ei.3 is hard because the scene is quite different. But Ei.3 was already pretty good in that regards (in view of the high limitations).

Detail retrieval follows the same path (On every street and Telegraph Road by Dire Straits are impeccably reproduced).

Bass and subs

The Ei.3 were a big step up in terms of subs quantity in the Custom Art family. Ei.XX goes further and reaches SE846 levels. In first approximation, I would say the bass of both iems are comparable, and would probably not be all that easy to distinguish.

So we’re talking well textured, impacting subs and basses. I’ve always considered SE846 to be bassy iems, so I will say the same about Ei.XX: they are not for the bass faint, and will clearly show the bass content of your music.

During my first day with them, it felt too much despite my listening to the SE846 for close to twenty days (but I think I can explain that below). Now, two days later, my brain has adapted, and it doesn’t feel that way anymore. And I must confess that, as with Ei.3, I really love to feel the drums kick on my Foo Fighters.

Mids

Probably the hardest part of the review to come. My main beef with Ei.3 was overall sound purity / lack of crystal-likeness. With SE846, it quickly was obvious that my main beef is boredom. They’re a great performing bunch, and I have almost no technical reproach (except for the stretched scene above), but they leave me limp. Like a really hot girl (bloke for the ladies/gays out there), but one that I just don’t lust for.

Well Ei.XX are different. They make me lust. But they frustrate me a little bit at the same time. They are clearly colored in the mids (I confirmed with Piotr that they are tuned for a “fun signature”), which is nice but leaves me wanting for more neutrality on some of my tracks (read Dire Straits, vocal-only songs). But then I’m a neutrality junkie.

Note that this coloration and the added amount of bass is a clear departure from the traditional Custom Art house sound. The Ei.XX are not strangers, but they’re more like cousins than siblings (sorry for the lousy metaphor).

Most of all, the mids are not lacking in presence, which almost surprised me when you see the added bass and subs, as well as treble. I was worried that mids would be somewhat lacking, but it is definitely not the case from my first experiences.

Treble

My personal treat. The only beef I had with Ei.3 is clearly fixed. Highs are here. They’re pretty, my cymbals finally sound right. They are not fatiguing to me, but then I am apparently impervious to treble fatigue and sibilance.

I think they are likely colored in the same manner as the mids are colored. In fact, the overall coloration appears to be V-shaped or W-shaped. To be confirmed and analyzed in more detail.

Source Matching

The first experience I had with the Gungnir MB / Lyr2 was a little troubling. I felt a lack of control on some tracks (Contact by Daft Punk). So I switched to Uberfrost / Lyr2 with somewhat better results (or it could be my brain). I then decided to spend some serious time with my iPhone 6 and Oppo HA-2 and things got better. But it could be that my brain adjusted to the coloration of the sound, because I am back to Gungnir MB / Lyr2 as I am writing this, and I don’t feel uneasy anymore. Note that I have only used the stock cable, and haven’t tried my Linum BaX and Music cables. That will remain to be done for the review.

Conclusion

Ei.XX appear to be a fun bit of iems. They have strong bass engagement with a great scene, very good details and separation.

Build quality and fit are top notch, but hey, let’s be serious, anything less would now be a disappointment coming from Piotr.

Just keep in mind that Ei.XX are NOT neutral, they’re definitely tuned to be engaging fun all-rounders.

Sep 21, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #326 of 677
Hello everyone! 

I'd like to start of by excusing myself for some weak vocabulary and maybe some incorrect usage of words/expressions as English isn't my first language. If someone doesn't understand what I mean, please ask and I'll try to rephrase it!

My story with CustomArt started earlier this year, when I started talking to Piotr about his CIEMs. I mentioned how much I loved the Shure SE846. He also mentioned that it was his favorite universal IEM at the time. After a few (dozen) emails exchanged we decided to do a custom project to try to resemble the SE846. I was very much intrigued by the silicone CIEMs and the amazing feedback that Piotr has been receiving. A couple of months later I received my custon tuned silicone CIEMs. Unfortunately, our little project didn't satisfy me...

Just a little parenthesis here: I'm going to reiterate how much CustomArt's customer service is amazing. I've literally exchanged more than 100 emails with Piotr and he has been promptly answering them and always so polite. I really can't stress this out enough, thank you Piotr!

Now, back to the story: After talking again to Piotr, he told offered me to be a reviewer of a new CIEM he was developing. I was very honored to be part of his new endeavor! He didn't tell me right away what it was, but a few weeks later I saw the this thread and it clicked :p

OK, enough of foreplay! I own the Unique Melody Mentor, which is in another category of CIEMs, so please take into consideration when reading my review... I did most comparisons with the Mentor, as it is my only other CIEM. My system is a Meridian Explorer -> Fiio E12A -> Linum BaX -> CIEM.

The fit is amazing! My first silicone CIEM with Piotr had deeper canals, which made them feel strange for me, this time, with a bit shorter canals they are more comfortable!

Finish wise, I'd say that it isn't flawless. It has a few bubbles here and there, the acrylic isn't completely smooth and there seems to be a yellowish tint in my white opaque faceplate of my left earpiece. I'm REALLY being picky here and this in no way takes away the amazing design that we agreed upon. I have the typical transparent red for my right earpiece and transparent blue for my left earpiece. My faceplates are white opaque with my name in acrylic the same color as the CIEM shell. I think it looks great! I wish the letters were a bit bigger, so that we could maybe see a bit more through the faceplate, but nevertheless the design was Piotr's idea and I completely loved it! I talked to Piotr about this and he said that his production process is now flawless! These little details were quickly worked out and future CIEMs will be perfect.

If I were to describe the sound of the Ei.xx in a few words it would be: full and smooth!

This CIEM really can pack a punch in the low end. It has been a long time since I've listened to the SE846, but I can say that my craving for that full bodied sound has been satisfied. I can also say that I have a little basshead side in me (I own the V-Moda M100, which IMO is THE basshead lover's headphone), which for my EDM/techno/deep house songs it is amazing. This CIEM delivers a great low end punch and rumble. I'd say that it doesn't have the texture and quality that the Mentor has, but DAMN SON: it has way more body and impact. Talk about fun and engaging sessions!

Regarding the mid range: as I have mentioned before, this CIEM really has a full sound and it shows itself here. The sound is lush and envolving. It also really goes into the warm side of things... The UM Mentor has a more transparent and clean sound, but I really like how Piotr tuned the Ei.xx. It makes sense with what he is trying to propose here. It is not analytical and detail retrieval isn't top notch, but it is organic and smooth. The only gripe I have here is that, in comparison with my UM Mentor, some of the voices seem to become sort of "nasally"... 

The highs: the Ei.xx has a nice and smooth implementation. I concur with twister6's review in this section. I'll quote him here: "Treble is smooth and detailed, not extra crisp or super "hi-def" extended, and also lacking some airiness." 

I really liked how this new CIEM came out! It has a nice contrast with some characteristics of my UM Mentor and I think they complement each other well.

In summary: I'm very, very pleased with my new CIEM. The sound is smooth, musical and engaging with a very nice elevated bass presence. What a fun CIEM!

CustomArt is an amazing company with some great deals on CIEMs. It's customer service is par to none in this industry. I have the utmost respect for Piotr and his crew for their amazing job. I'd like to thank again Piotr for this opportunity and for all the support he has given me. I have a good feeling about this company... I think we can expect many more amazing things from them!!

Congratulations on another exceptional product!

Here are some pics (I'm sorry, I'm not the world's best photographer :p ):

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #328 of 677
Nice to see another Foo Fighters fan have you listened to there Waisting Light album, the whole thing was done in analog. Not a single computer was used and they did it the old fashioned way with tape.

Sep 21, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #329 of 677
Dang, glad to read all of the stuff you guys have put up so far! I'm no longer with Massdrop, having started my own thing (http://www.worthyaudio.com/), but wanted to chime in with a behind the scenes look at the Custom Art Ei.XX

[color=rgba(17, 17, 17, 0.6)]As an regular Head-Fi member, I've posted a fair amount of content covering Custom Art products in the past few years - the company always seemed to agree with me in a very favorable way. From Piotr's top-notch communication to his products speaking for themselves, it's been a pleasure watching the company grow from small, unknown manufacturer to a rather reputable brand in the CIEM world.[/color]
[color=rgba(17, 17, 17, 0.6)] [/color]
[color=rgba(17, 17, 17, 0.6)]When I joined Massdrop a year ago and was tasked with sourcing manufacturers and their awesome products, CA occupied a spot on the wish list. The first drop on the Harmony 8 Pro went incredibly well - it was limited to a quantity of 10 units (I bought one myself) and sold out before the day was out, a shockingly fast turn of events.[/color]
[color=rgba(17, 17, 17, 0.6)]Earlier this year when I started exploring custom projects, Custom Art again immediately came to mind as a manufacturer I wanted to collaborate with. I reached out with my vision of creating a unique CIEM, and Piotr was willing to listen. This was THE project for me - there's quite a few good-to-excellent caliber custom in-ears on the market, but who wouldn't jump at a chance to help tune a product to sound exactly the way you like it?[/color]
[color=rgba(17, 17, 17, 0.6)]I laid out a very basic premise for Piotr to work with - The UERM really covers a lot of bases for me, but if you're on the streets or looking for a custom that makes you want to get up and dance, it ain't it. Below is an excerpt from our Skype conversation about my vision: [/color]
[color=rgba(17, 17, 17, 0.6)]"[...] headphone-wise, my favorites are the Fostex TH-900 and Sennheiser HD 598. Universal IEMs, I like Shure SE846, RHA T20. I think almost all of them are a bit V-shaped, with a touch of bass (except the Senn 598 which I like for other reasons). Luscious vocals really get me on the 598s."[/color]
[color=rgba(17, 17, 17, 0.6)]We chatted about specifics that I thought were really important - a sub-bass that hits deep with impact (Shure SE846), treble that's resolving but not fatiguing or sharp, strong attention to detail and a high level of intimacy rounded out my biggest wants. Piotr took my thoughts and ran with them in a way that greatly exceeded my expectations. [/color]
[color=rgba(17, 17, 17, 0.6)]Here's some interesting tidbits about the Ei.XX[/color]
[color=rgba(17, 17, 17, 0.6)]
  1. Piotr works blazingly fast, it was about a 3-4 month timeframe from product conception to actualization.
  2. We settled on a 6 driver, 4 way crossover design. Inside the Ei.XX, you'll find 2 super low, 2 low, 1 tweeter, and 1 super tweeter from Sonion's BA line.
  3. I stressed that I envision the CIEM to be a sound signature anyone could pick up and enjoy, so we went to check out Olive-Welti’s compensation curve as the starting point the average listener would find enjoyable.
  4. Customization options are incredibly important to me, and Custom Art delivered on this front. From cable to faceplate to shell color to artwork, you can make the Ei.XX your very own personal creation.

[/color] [color=rgba(17, 17, 17, 0.6)]I won't go too much into detail about sound signature as it's a bit of a conflict of interest and there are already several qualified individuals with a pair to give their impressions, but you can obviously imagine that working on the project with Piotr and having a say in how it sounds makes me a rather biased individual.[/color]
[color=rgba(17, 17, 17, 0.6)]Simply put, at $600 + shipping, it's everything I wanted and more. Fun. Smooth. Engaging. Custom Art at their best.[/color]

Sep 21, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #330 of 677
I should have a package at my house when I get home from work cant wait.

I'm sure we all going to be aligned in our sound assessment
wink.gif
  Looking forward to your impression and pictures!

Btw, I updated my impression post above with Ei.xx pictures from an earlier post, to keep everything together in one place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back