Team Single Power Assemble!
Nov 14, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #16 of 35
While there is no sense in beating a dead horse, but if someone comes out with an equally good product and is able to make and keep commitments, who will get the jobs?

If a firm is not responsive to the needs of its customers, it Will go under sooner or later.

Nov 14, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #17 of 35
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! My new MPX3 is coming with both the stock tubes and one KenRad VT231 and two Sylvania VT231's. Any comments on how these two different sets sound?

Nov 14, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #18 of 35
"My new MPX3 is coming with both the stock tubes and one KenRad VT231 and two Sylvania VT231's. Any comments on how these two different sets sound?"

Both of those are outstanding tubes to work with. You might also consider getting a 7n7 tube adapter for the drive tube position. The 7n7, is an inexpensive tube that will compete favorably with the best of the 6sn7's.

- augustwest

Nov 14, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #19 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
Yes all you'd need to do to convert it into a SLAM is to get the adapters (and the tubes).

Mckhail (sp?) told me that he hasn't developed the adapter for the PPX to SLAM yet (about a month ago). He said it was complicated and until he made them, it was best to just send in for the upgrade. He predicted they would be out in the next few weeks but not to hold him to it.

Do you know if he's released them yet?

Nov 14, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89
While there is no sense in beating a dead horse, but if someone comes out with an equally good product and is able to make and keep commitments, who will get the jobs?

If a firm is not responsive to the needs of its customers, it Will go under sooner or later.

That's a big IF.

I think Mikhail is simply understaffed at this point. His business is growing and the world of head-fi is only a part of his customer base. He also has about dozen high end amps he is working on. While I'm sure he views all customers equally, those high-end customers can be quite demanding.

Nov 14, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #21 of 35
Quite demanding indeed! <wink wink>
wink.gif
LOL! Sleestack and I have been waiting for a long time. No worries though, because we chose Mikhail for a reason! He rules!

Neil

Nov 14, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
He also has about dozen high end amps he is working on.

Well in my case a high end power supply for a high end amp
rs1smile.gif

Nov 14, 2006 at 7:24 PM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
Well in my case a high end power supply for a high end amp
rs1smile.gif

I think he is still working on the PS for my SDS as well.... actually, Voltron's.

I'm not even sure what is high end for Singlepower anymore, as this solid state amp cost significantly more than my full blown SDS-XLR AT, which also broke the 5 digit price tag barrier. One thing i do know... it's all worth it, as perfection is priceless.

Nov 14, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #24 of 35
happy to assemble is audiofiler..
running the MPX3 Slam SE with the Black Plate 6414 in the driving position (with ECC adapter from Mikhail), and the BL7's in the output gaps..

This amp is a monster with the Supra transformer and pushes the Black Dragon GS like no other amplifier I have heard/paired with it.

My SinglePower makes the clearest projection of low level detail while adding the most slam to the signal path where appropriate...never out of control, just awesome power.

Nov 14, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanthos
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! My new MPX3 is coming with both the stock tubes and one KenRad VT231 and two Sylvania VT231's. Any comments on how these two different sets sound?

Welcome to the family Xanthos! You're going to love the amp. I am on my third SinglePower amp, going from slightly upgraded MPX3, to maxxed out MPX3, to SDS-XLR with the tube rectified and regulated PSU! That last one is a big jump, and both of my upgrades came as Sleestack hand-me-downs.
tongue.gif
I hope you have a little patience because Mikhail and SinglePower are very busy and working their asses off to put out incredible products.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89

If you think you're beating a dead horse, you probably are. In this case, you certainly are because this thread wasn't about "people waiting for SP amps to arrive" and this isn't the only thread you have started or sprinkled with complaints about manufacturers not being responsive enough for you. It's not even the first one where you have made predictions of doom about manufacturers (McAllister and SP) who cannot pump out product fast enough or return every one of your emails to your satisfaction.

I too am waiting for a SinglePower amp because Mikhail made some changes to it and went ever further than anticipated because he wanted it to be right. Like Neil said, we picked him and his company because he will come through with an amazing product. We didn't pick him because he can pull one of 1000 units off a shelf and pop it in the mail. We also didn't pick him because he only has two customers. He is busy for a reason.

Nov 14, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #26 of 35
I've got Supra #1, a PPX-3 (silver chassis), SDS, SDS-XLR, and ES1. I think it's safe to say that I like Mikhail's work
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith
And 003, I didn't know Singlepower has a passive preamp. I thought the closest you could get to that was one of the Goldpoint units. I don't know the official rules of Team Singlepower, but I'd say if Mikhail had a hand in making it, that's enough to let you in
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep it was made by Mikhail. the chassis and the attenuator are goldpoint but Mikhail used nicer innards (solder and wires, not sure about the pcb)

Nov 15, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #28 of 35
Just curious if anyone can give me some general sound characteristics of KenRad, Sylvania combo with the MPX3. Is it more upfront, laidback, small or wide soundstage, tuby or more solid state sounding, things of that nature.

Thanks

Nov 15, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #29 of 35
Honestly, I think it would hard and fairly inaccurate to give such an impression as your system is unique and unless someone has your exact system and your ears and midset, it's very hard to give anywhere near accurate impressions for you. I've heard that combo in a similarly configured MPX3 and I feel that it is a very full bodied sound with good tonality and fairly good bass. That being said my reference cans at the time were Senn 650s, which are fairly different than your cans. Moreover the source used was different as well.

Nov 16, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #30 of 35
I'd just like to add that I'm a member of the Team now too! I've been planning mine since April. Went from wanting a PPX3, to PPX3-slam, to MPX3, to MPX3 SLAM SE with modifications for use as a high end preamp! I placed the actual order early September and sent full payment then, and I just got word yesterday that it's ready and went out today via DHL. I can't wait!!!!!! So there is hope for those who are waiting.

Cheers my brothers,
-Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back