Team Single Power Assemble!
Nov 14, 2006 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Xanthos

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

After purchasing NewMexiCat's MPX3, I am now proudly the newest member of team Single Power! I've been lurking here since 2002 and this is my first serious headphone amplifier. I have also never used any piece of tube gear before. Any advice or tips you could give me about this amp would be greatly appreciated. Also, can this amp be converted into a Slam by simply buying adapters? Thanks and hope to be more active in the community in the future.

Xanthos

Nov 14, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #2 of 35
Congrats!!! I just bought my PPX3 Slam a month ago & I'm loving it! I finally feel pretty close to satisfied!

Nov 14, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 35
Yes all you'd need to do to convert it into a SLAM is to get the adapters (and the tubes).

Nov 14, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #5 of 35
I bought my PPX3 2 1/2 years ago as my first commercially-produced home amplifier and I have yet to have any desire to replace it. Combined with my AKG K271 Studio cans it has remained a steady part of my home setup.

Tonight I finally decided to retire the set of tubes I've been using in it nearly the entire time I've owned it and put in a set of Ei tubes. It has been so long since I tube-rolled I almost forgot what they sounded like, but I think they're staying for now. I have enough 6CG7/6FQ7 tubes on-hand to keep this thing running for the next decade at least.

And 003, I didn't know Singlepower has a passive preamp. I thought the closest you could get to that was one of the Goldpoint units. I don't know the official rules of Team Singlepower, but I'd say if Mikhail had a hand in making it, that's enough to let you in
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #6 of 35
Well I wish I could assemble, Im sitll waiting for my MPX3 SLAM SE to arrive. gah, its been at least three months, mikhail assured me it will be sent any day, but the wait is killing me

Nov 14, 2006 at 11:38 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by donovansmith
I bought my PPX3 2 1/2 years ago as my first commercially-produced home amplifier and I have yet to have any desire to replace it. Combined with my AKG K271 Studio cans it has remained a steady part of my home setup.

Tonight I finally decided to retire the set of tubes I've been using in it nearly the entire time I've owned it and put in a set of Ei tubes. It has been so long since I tube-rolled I almost forgot what they sounded like, but I think they're staying for now. I have enough 6CG7/6FQ7 tubes on-hand to keep this thing running for the next decade at least.

And 003, I didn't know Singlepower has a passive preamp. I thought the closest you could get to that was one of the Goldpoint units. I don't know the official rules of Team Singlepower, but I'd say if Mikhail had a hand in making it, that's enough to let you in
smily_headphones1.gif

Try a 6gu7 for gain .... they come in Sylvania, GE and RCA brands. This tube really opens up the top end and improves detail retrival. This tube is a drop in replacement so all you do is plug the tube in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2006 at 12:46 PM Post #8 of 35
Me too, Alex. I'm still waiting. How long has it been for you?

Hey, he didn't by any chance tell you he was selling you the Demo he had at RMAF, did he?

Nov 14, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #10 of 35
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHH

Another Peter McAlister!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHH

Nov 14, 2006 at 12:50 PM Post #11 of 35
probably a bit less, 11 weeks around about from when we finalised the specs and payment. for all i know hes already sent it but he hasnt responded to emails in a while. regardless, i cant see mikhail pulling a swifty, hes one of the most respected builders on here.

Nov 14, 2006 at 1:05 PM Post #12 of 35
But the lack of e-mail response is maddening. So I call him and i know he feels bad, but then he gives me another understimate of the time it will take.

Why can't he just answer his mail; make a written commitment and follow through with it? End of story. No phone calls. No guilt.

In the last year, I have dealt with both Blue Circle audio and Quicksilver Audio. Both had waiting periods. Both made a time commitment and both made it.

Nov 14, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #13 of 35
yeah i agree, the intial 2-3 weeks waiting period turned into 6, then 8, then it was installing the piltron, then installing the preamp and then being sent, and that last one was 2 weeks ago. so its hard to say
frown.gif

long time to have 2200 odd usd sitting doing nothing.

Nov 14, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #14 of 35
"Why can't he just answer his mail; make a written commitment and follow through with it? End of story. No phone calls. No guilt."

Talking on the phone, as opposed to mail, is much more time efficient and much more personal.

Xanthos -
Welcome to the SP family!

- augustwest

Nov 14, 2006 at 3:00 PM Post #15 of 35
well most of my contact has been by phone auguestwest, ive been assured a couple of times it will be shipping very shortly only to find its still not ready. noone minds waiting augustwest, as long as the communication is generally reliable. i tihnk yoll agree 2-3 weeks is a far cry from 3 months. nevertheless i wait, becuase i know it will be a good product. we are simply pointing out some areas that could be improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back