Teach me to appreciate your music.
Sep 14, 2010 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67
Recently I have been trying to expand my music collection and branch out into other genre's. I really want to try to find what people see in some music.

If you could put 1 song that you think would represent a certain genre, you're favorite song, what would it be?

For example for me:

To represent Electronica: Greenland by Emancipator

Would love to hear some of your guys' responses
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ambient Revolution

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 67
Definitely some interesting suggestions so far, keep em coming, I love Jack Johnson.

Really trying to get myself into jazz, but I found that album just decent, it was good at times, not sure.

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 67
To start you in progressive rock: Yes albums Close to the Edge or Fragile.

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 67
Try James Brown & The JB's "Funky Drummer". I suggest this track for it borders on the grey line between Funk and Jazz and after a good listen or a few listens you will know what you like about it. It is about nine minutes long in duration and can be found on the "In The Jungle Groove" (compilation) album. 

There is a a build up in this track which becomes noticeable if you listen carefully. For me personally this is James Brown & The JB's best track ever, especially the end of it. 

Sep 14, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #11 of 67
The record that got me into jazz was Holly Cole - Temptation, which is a tribute to Tom Waits.  Suggested tracks:  Jersey Girl or Little Boy Blue

For a wonderful intro to my favorite band, check out The Grateful Dead -  One From the Vault.  From the intro into Help On the Way -> Slipknot -> Franklin's Tower you'll either be hooked or put off forever.

Sep 14, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #12 of 67
Holy cow, I have just been hooked onto jazz by 

[size=1.6666em] Dave Brubeck[/size]

There hasn't been a song i've listened to yet that I haven't loved. This is the first time i've really gotten into jazz, I must have more, going to buy all his stuff.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Love discovering new things, dave brubeck is awesome!

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #13 of 67

operatic black metal? progressive masquerade rock?
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" /> try to download the 320kbps or FLAC version. It's worth it. 

Neoclassical electronic chamber music? Ulver. You tell me what genre this is. 

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #15 of 67
Jack95, I'm very surprised you didn't recommend the album in your av, Nas' Illmatic. It's one of the greatest hip-hop albums of all time, if not the greatest. I know rap is not the most popular genre around here, but if you have even the slightest shade of appreciation for the genre, you should love this album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back