Teach me to appreciate your music.
Sep 24, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #31 of 67
Hip hop?

I don't like it generally. But I can respect this.

Sep 25, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #32 of 67
I just started liking Hip hop like half a year ago. The only thing that I really can't stand though is 80's hiphop
tongue.gif
. Well the album that brought me into hiphop is Madvillainy by Madvillain, short tracks, lots of variety.

Sep 25, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #33 of 67

Quote:
I just started liking Hip hop like half a year ago. The only thing that I really can't stand though is 80's hiphop
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//tongue.gif" title="
tongue.gif
" width="" />. Well the album that brought me into hiphop is Madvillainy by Madvillain, short tracks, lots of variety.

What a sad, sad person 
dt880smile.png

Sep 25, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #34 of 67
SptsNaz covered a few of the classics but I'll give it a go as well.

A little bit of everything to get your feet wet.

Maybe some of these? Some of my favorites:

Common - I Used To Love H.E.R.

Roots - Silent Treatment

Lauryn Hill - Everything is Everything

Jay-Z - Dead Presidents II

Big Pun - Capital Punishment

Digable Planets - Rebirth of Slick

I want to keep going but don't want to overwhelm.
From here you can dive into countless other classics stemming from these songs.

Sep 27, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #36 of 67

ahh one of the drum loops that inspired 20 years of music, ive never got around to listening to the full song actually, im goona get around to that
Quote:
Try James Brown & The JB's "Funky Drummer". I suggest this track for it borders on the grey line between Funk and Jazz and after a good listen or a few listens you will know what you like about it. It is about nine minutes long in duration and can be found on the "In The Jungle Groove" (compilation) album. 

There is a a build up in this track which becomes noticeable if you listen carefully. For me personally this is James Brown & The JB's best track ever, especially the end of it. 

Sep 27, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #37 of 67

ahh one of the drum loops that inspired 20 years of music, ive never got around to listening to the full song actually, im goona get around to that

99% of the DNB tunes are based on the Amen Break: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbs=vid%3A1&q=dnb+amen+break

It was first used to get that DNB sound, and now it often shows up in breaks as an homage.

There's also the "tighten up" break from JB: http://www.google.com/search?uhl=en&q=james+brown+tighten+up&tbs=vid:1

I've got some blues songs from the early 60's that have a discrete drums track that sounds exactly like DNB...just a very fast funky beat.

Sep 27, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #38 of 67
Heavy metal. Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name

Thrash Metal. Metallica - Leper Messiah

Goth/Doom Metal. Type O Negative - Haunted

Black Metal. Satyricon - Mother North

Not expecting to convert anyone really, (atleast not with the last one.
biggrin.gif
) but here are some of my favs from different extremes of this ridiculously diverse genre. Classic, energic and angry, slow and gloomy and finally melodic but cold and hateful. Take them for what you will.

*edit* Crap, forgot my favourite of all.

Ambient black metal (or whatever you want to call it, deppressive, shoegazing, atmospheric...)

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #40 of 67
I guess this Rock/Alternative Metal:

Shinedown - Devour

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #41 of 67

Explosions In the Sky - First Breath After Coma

God is an Astronaut - Suicide by Star

This would be.. post rock, I guess. I'm still new to it all, only have a bunch of bands I listen to. Powerful stuff, anyway.

And this is Isis - Holy Tears - post-metal apparently.

These make me leave the planet..

Sep 28, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #44 of 67
Medeski, Martin and Wood. Three amazing, super FUNKY dudes. Want to get into jazz but want it to feel a bit like a Beastie Boys instrumental on steroids? That is about right. Mind blowing on Stax.

http://youtu.be/OuCXJlfeq7I

Users who are viewing this thread

Back