Teac UD 503 DAC (2015 New Release, DXD, DSD256)
Apr 23, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #227 of 572
I am still waiting for mine,i was offered a black one last month,but declined.Regarding the M51,UD-501 actually sounded better if talking about straight USB connection.But i dont have an audiophile PC,so this could have been a factor.

Now i wouldnt buy any DAC,which lacks DSD no matter the price and the hype.I dont care about the Yggdrasil anymore and i wouldnt pay even half price for one.

I built a very nice analogue setup after Christmas and i have just upgraded to even better one and i am hoping that the UD-503's volume control will be good enough and the DAC will have the "improved" build.

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #228 of 572
Faults when playing on Jriver21 no. Install TEAC website New driver.

I find the ASIO side of the Teac drivers to be buggy at times when running through JRiver.  Basically they will suddenly "disappear" and cause JRiver to complain there are no ASIO drivers... preventing any media play. Had this happen numerous times. I've since moved to the WASAPI side and have not had an issue since.  I'm not sure if the issue is JRiver or the Teac drivers, I just know Teac's "ASIO" driver isn't stable there.

Outside of that, no other issues and the sound quality amazing with flac files ripped with dBpoweramp  and played through JRiver.  The DAC sounds so nice and warm with no hint of "digital sound".

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #229 of 572
I am still waiting for mine,i was offered a black one last month,but declined.Regarding the M51,UD-501 actually sounded better if talking about straight USB connection.But i dont have an audiophile PC,so this could have been a factor.

As a PC builder myself, I'm not sure what an "audiophile" system is, other than one optimized for audio, just as one would be for gaming; but running my 503 through my custom built Windows 10 gaming rig, which also includes a Creative ZXR soundcard, I have my DAC hooked up both USB and digitally (Optical) through my soundcard.  

Anyway in playing with both inputs I find I like the SQ from the USB side over the optical side. However, this may also have something to do with the Jtterbug filter I'm using on the USB side. That said, even before that I thought the USB side sounded better, which is why I bring it up.  Of course the quality and type of the digital equipment used could sway things differently so that's another factor.

My two cents.

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #230 of 572
As a PC builder myself, I'm not sure what an "audiophile" system is, other than one optimized for audio, just as one would be for gaming; but running my 503 through my custom built Windows 10 gaming rig, which also includes a Creative ZXR soundcard, I have my DAC hooked up both USB and digitally (Optical) through my soundcard.  

Anyway in playing with both inputs I find I like the SQ from the USB side over the optical side. However, this may also have something to do with the Jtterbug filter I'm using on the USB side. That said, even before that I thought the USB side sounded better, which is why I bring it up.  Of course the quality and type of the digital equipment used could sway things differently so that's another factor.

My two cents.

Audiophile PC:audiophile USB boards,linear power supplies,external USB isolators,convoluted software players,etc.My PC is HTPC and gaming rig as well,so i am sure that it is far from optimal regarding SQ.And yes,the PC makes a difference,regardless of the DAC choice.The M51(AES and HDMI its best inputs by consensus) came on song after i bought a nice DDC and its superior resolution wasnt handicapped by a harsh treble anymore.The 501 was nice even with a printer USB cable.

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #231 of 572
Yeah I'm not going through all of that. Though I like clean smooth sound, there's only so far I'm going in pursuit of it. It's the same attitude I take when building my gaming rigs - I don't mind spending but I'm only going but so far.

Anyway my rig as is doing well for what I wanted in sound.

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #232 of 572
Sygnus 21

ASIO highly quality Jriver21!!!
To go to control panel Teac ud503.Engine buffer for the driver to maximum.If does not help replace usb cable quality.Win10 system perfectly!!!

Apr 24, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #233 of 572
Sygnus 21

ASIO highly quality Jriver21!!!
To go to control panel Teac ud503.Engine buffer for the driver to maximum.If does not help replace usb cable quality.Win10 system perfectly!!!

Thanks, I'm good.  I'm a system builder; also been running Windows 10 since before public release. And it's not the USB cable, the issue happened on two different ones. Haven't tried the buffer engine either because I don't think that's the issue.

Thanks though.

Apr 24, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #236 of 572
Today I did a little reverse engineering on the UD-503 Ouput amplifier circuit. 
Total there are 4 of these output amplifiers circuits (Stereo Balanced) but only one is shown here. 

I think it is a pretty good way to implement a push-pull output stage with an Opamp as driver. 
They even put in an Vbe multiplier (Q1)  
Quiescent current is about 8mA. 

Cheers
Flemming

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #237 of 572
  Do you mean in jriver under options, the milliseconds to the maximum (500 ms)?

Well, I'm not sure what he meant, but I'm thinking this....

When you click on Device settings, go to Output and click Open Driver Control Panel, and you get Teac ASIO USB Driver Control panel.  Anyway I've not tinkered with that setting yet, but I may just to see how if affects things.

Apr 24, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #238 of 572
Originally Posted by sygnus21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When you click on Device settings, go to Output and click Open Driver Control Panel, and you get Teac ASIO USB Driver Control panel.  Anyway I've not tinkered with that setting yet, but I may just to see how if affects things.

Thanks a lot Sygnus for the screenshot!! I 've found it.
biggrin.gif

Do you (or others) know what difference this make? Anything on sound quality or only performance?

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #239 of 572
My guess is that it allows more data to be buffered (stored up ahead of time) to pass more efficiently. However, it could affect timing (digital file playback) in a negative way if not correctly set. But... what is the "correct" setting???. Mine defaults at 2048 (basically 2meg). I might bring it up to 4096 and see what happens there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back