Teac UD 503 DAC (2015 New Release, DXD, DSD256)
Apr 15, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #212 of 572
europe is also 50hz. not sure anything will work other than to replace both transformers, possibly some caps a diode..... not really worth it.

a country that has 220v summed on the opposite phases as done in us is easily rewired. i will tell anyone, do not play with electricity unless you are sure you know what you are doing! disaster can result.

Apr 15, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #213 of 572
Apr 15, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #214 of 572
Teac nt-503 Perfectly loses external hard drive 2TB with external power required.
beerchug.gif
The flash drive also.Teac AVR Remote is handy utility for Android.Like lots of Internet radio stations.Include for the background to listen to music.

Apr 17, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #216 of 572
Today I modded my UD-503 a litlle :)...  Why... because I can :)

Bottom side of the main PCB:  The black wires are not a mod. It is a ground wire that Teac has added. 

I have painted the Caps that the signal passes with a red marker on top. I have parallel coupled 100nF 16V  SMD metal film caps on all these marked with a red dot.  

Now my most important Mod, it to replace the (4x)  rather small 100uF 25V caps that Teac has used to decouple VREFL & VREFH on the AK4490.  The Appnote from AKM clearly shows that If the Cap size is increased the THD+N will be lower !!

There is plenty of room for larger caps on these places.  I replaced the 100uF 25V with Panasonic FR series 2700uF 25V.  This is a very very low ESR type caps! 

The four 2700uF 25V Panasonic Caps installed.

Side view of the new Caps mounted.

On all the E-Caps that the signal goes through, I found room on the bottom side to parallel couple 100nF 16V Metal film capacitors.

The Main PCB in place again with my modifications.

I sounded good before, and now I sounds even better :D 

The cost of this mod is not expensive.

Panasonic FR 2700uF 25V:
http://www.mouser.dk/ProductDetail/Panasonic/EEU-FR1E272L/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22fJqYs4ddJyTLSiE3SdX3Pc%3d

Apr 17, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #220 of 572
aQuote:
  Today I modded my UD-503 a litlle :)...  Why... because I can :)

@FlemmingBach
Could you please trace power lines from toroids to ac power switch. Is it possible to reconfigure your 503 (suppose it 100-120volt) to 220-240volts?

As for your note mentioning there is only two wires for each toroid. I noticed that as well and it is by the way opposed to 4 power wires per toroid for ud-501. I suspect that in 503 they could switch toroids primary windings themselve in parallel or in serie to get economy on extra windings.

To investigate the version of different transformers for different markets. May you please tell what AC version do you have and make a close up photo of toroids label?

Apr 17, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #221 of 572
@SkyWalker2

My UD-503 is a European version, 230Vac, and here are some pics of the transformers. 
It only has one pair of primary wires. 

Only two wires for Primary! European version has this PCB with a 230V common mode filter, and fuse.

Apr 18, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #223 of 572
on 503 you will have to swap out the torroids, a couple caps and a diode. it looks to me. they are not universal center tapped torroids. so you cannot simply run them form the outside rather than the center unfortunatelt. again, i am going to say do not play with electricity unless you have very high skill with this. you do not need an electricians license but you should certainly know as much as one! this is no joking matter. just do not do this please if you do not understand what to do. if you do, go right ahead.

so i am saying my ud503 is already run from the outside and that is all there is. there is no center tap. you will have to replace things. not even worth the cost for this thing. get the eu version! save yourself a lot of trouble even if you do know what you are doing. or use a power cord transfomrer. however i find those just destroy sound.i did not switch either to 220v because it cannot be done easily. the outside tap torroids are cheaper than the center tap ones which is why i am sure they did this. i do run most of my gear like amps on two phase. i feel 220v is much more stable for sound. still us power sucks especially out here. in fact i don't even have power. i have a propane generator. there is no power grid out here. even if there was to run it to my property would cost more than i have. you are talking like millions. i am on 3,000 acres and the building is setback about 2,700 feet from where they would put the drop. however i run my good system on batteries. i mean huge sla batteries and the sound is way beter than i ever hear off of ac power.

anyways, long asnwer short. can't be done without replacing parts. not worth it. again, please do not play with electricity if you are not exactly sure what you are doing. i just stress this because you can die or burn down your dwelling. not a joke.

Apr 23, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #224 of 572
guys
i am considering selling my 2 current dacs and buying a 503, have any of you had issues ? and if so what is teac's support like?

Apr 23, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #225 of 572
Excellent sound and standard recording and dsd.Otlichny, dense, powerful, energetic bas.U I had more than 10 DAC but a quality bass slyshal.nt503 Sound much more expensive than their tseny.Vokal natural, perfectly elastic .Struna guitar. Wide stereo separation kanaly.Dsd included .Super Sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back