Teac UD 503 DAC (2015 New Release, DXD, DSD256)
Oct 7, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #37 of 572
  Thanks for all the info on this guys - I had a look around and found another Teac 503, the NT-503

http://republicaradio.com/nt-503-teac/

In addition to the 503 features it does more networking stuff, internet radio, Bluetooth etc.

for what i eared ,
the price would be 1250 euros in france
if it's the case i'll change my 501 
be aware that teac has got a big problem with the 503 and every buyer in japan has to send it to teac for a hardflash to solve the problem.
no unit in any store when i was in tokyo last week.i wanted to buy one the problem came out the week before.ouf!
the YEN/euros TEAC sells his products is fairest as hell like a lot of japan product.i love japan 

Oct 7, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #38 of 572
  for what i eared ,
be aware that teac has got a big problem with the 503 and every buyer in japan has to send it to teac for a hardflash to solve the problem.
no unit in any store when i was in tokyo last week.i wanted to buy one the problem came out the week before.ouf!
the YEN/euros TEAC sells his products is fairest as hell like a lot of japan product.i love japan 

Thanks for that, very interesting. I'll keep my eye on developments

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #39 of 572
  for what i eared ,

I ordered the UD-503 from HIFiHeaven for $999 (US) to replace a most-satisfactory UD-501. It is scheduled for delivery in a few days.

Based upon the above, I'm wondering whether to unpack and install the piece in my rack or wait for clarification.

Has anyone here actually listened to a US-spec UD-503? If so, are there issues?

Thanks.

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #40 of 572

I ordered the UD-503 from HIFiHeaven for $999 (US) to replace a most-satisfactory UD-501. It is scheduled for delivery in a few days.

Based upon the above, I'm wondering whether to unpack and install the piece in my rack or wait for clarification.

Thanks.

i know that first units in france has got the volume issue.

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #41 of 572
  i know that first units in france has got the volume issue.

I received my unit yesterday and replaced my UD-501 with the 503. For the moment it is running on the old driver, which only upsamples Red Book to single DSD, as opposed to quad.

I have done no critical listening yet.

But I have encountered no issues, "volume" or otherwise, and no "problem" so far.

Can you please explain what the problem or issue requiring a factory "hardflash" to solve actually is?

THank you so much.
gs1000.gif

I

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #43 of 572

Thanks.

I don't have this unit, but I've read from a thread said that the first batch has fly wires. (http://post76.com/x2/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=215544&extra=&page=5).

The unit in that thread however was HK version, I'm not sure about the US version. You could still open it up and have a look.

Oct 15, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #44 of 572
I was planning on buying a unit soon, but the reported issues are putting me back. What the translation from japanese reads is the following :

1. pillars estimated
2. 另外TEAC Layout 錯底板,有兩條長飛缐(VEE, 負壓)飛左去HDLC 線路 2. Another TEAC Layout wrong floor, there are two long fly Xian (VEE, negative pressure) flying left to HDLC line​
3. 穩壓for Opamp, ... 3. Regulators for Opamp, ...​

What I understand is that in the initial batch the DAC board seems to have wrong mountings, or at least it seems that the chassis pillars position doesn't match, leading to wires crossing over parts where it shouldn't, also they talk about missing or poor voltage regulation.

The other issue is that when pressing the mute button in the remote, if the selected sources are analog, then instead of muting, the volume is set to max for all analog outputs, including the headphones, so if that's the case I suppose that there is a risk of blowing them out. This seems to be already fixed for SNs greater or equal to 50001, for serial numbers below that point the unit must be returned to the factory for servicing.

A native Japanese speaker will probably be able to give us a better picture, since the automated translation isn't very good.

Oct 15, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #45 of 572
  I was planning on buying a unit soon, but the reported issues are putting me back. What the translation from japanese reads is the following :

1. pillars estimated
2. 另外TEAC Layout 錯底板,有兩條長飛缐(VEE, 負壓)飛左去HDLC 線路 2. Another TEAC Layout wrong floor, there are two long fly Xian (VEE, negative pressure) flying left to HDLC line​
3. 穩壓for Opamp, ... 3. Regulators for Opamp, ...​

What I understand is that in the initial batch the DAC board seems to have wrong mountings, or at least it seems that the chassis pillars position doesn't match, leading to wires crossing over parts where it shouldn't, also they talk about missing or poor voltage regulation.

The other issue is that when pressing the mute button in the remote, if the selected sources are analog, then instead of muting, the volume is set to max for all analog outputs, including the headphones, so if that's the case I suppose that there is a risk of blowing them out. This seems to be already fixed for SNs greater or equal to 50001, for serial numbers below that point the unit must be returned to the factory for servicing.

A native Japanese speaker will probably be able to give us a better picture, since the automated translation isn't very good.

I doubt that native Japanese speaker would give better translation as those were written in Traditional Chinese. 
dt880smile.png

1. DAC 板其中三條銅柱婑了,生產梗硬上鑼絲,導致PCB 曲了
1. Three copper pillars are too short, but the production line forced the screws in, thus the bent PCB.

2. 原生設計沒有穩壓給Opamp 及HDLC缐路
2. There is no regulator for Opamp and HDLC circuits in the original design.

3. 另外TEAC Layout 錯底板,有兩條長飛缐(VEE, 負壓)飛左去HDLC 線路
3. The base board layout is messed up, there are two long fly wires (VEE, Negative) connect to HDLC circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back