Teac UD 503 DAC (2015 New Release, DXD, DSD256)
Oct 15, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #46 of 572
I sent the following to TEAC Customer Support in California this morning and will report back when they've responded:

Good morning,

I purchased a UD-503 this week, and registered it with you: S/N 0050401.

At the Head-fi UD-503 site there are references to defects in the first batch of these DAC's sold in Asia and, perhaps, Europe being subject to a factory recall for multiple issues including problems with the analog input, mute button, wiring and other construction issues. 

Please advise as to whether my piece is OK, since the serial number appears higher than those mentioned.

Oct 17, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #47 of 572
Your unit should be ok software wise, the link that polton posted clearly states that units with s/n over 50000 are ok :

http://teac.jp/news/display/1004/

However what is really holding me from buying it is that the interior is pretty messy, with a lot of floating cables and it seems to cut costs where it shouldn't. If they are forcing the dac board because of short posts, that's unforgivable, they can just use spacers, this is a product that is not so cheap so things like that shouldn't happen.

In comparison the old UD-501 or even the Marantz DAC1 look better, although with less features.

Let's see what the first reviews tell about sound, which is in the end what really matters.

Oct 23, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #48 of 572
I spoke with TEAC Customer Support in California twice today.

After checking, the tech confirmed that my US-spec unit is not implicated in the Asian recall...no issue with analog input/mute button.

In response to another question, he confirmed that the UD-503 can upsample PCM to quad DSD, but does not upsample standard DSD rips to that higher level.

FWIW, I've got about 100 hours on my piece and am impressed so far with its musicality, especially when it upsamples TIDAL over USB or Red Book CD's via coax. 

I'm also pleased with the power of the headphone amp:  half a watt into 32 ohm, unbalanced, nicely drives my HiFiMan HE-500's, which could not be driven to advantage by the UD-501's much lower power. Note that the balanced mode, which produces more wattage, surprisingly utilizes both TRS inputs and I have never seen cans or aftermarket cables with that dual termination.

More to come in a week or so...'still playing around with filters and other settings which are not really explained in the manual which explains how but not why to use a given setting.

Oct 25, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #49 of 572

After checking, the tech confirmed that my US-spec unit is not implicated in the Asian recall...no issue with analog input/mute button.

In response to another question, he confirmed that the UD-503 can upsample PCM to quad DSD, but does not upsample standard DSD rips to that higher level.

FWIW, I've got about 100 hours on my piece and am impressed so far with its musicality, especially when it upsamples TIDAL over USB or Red Book CD's via coax. 

I'm also pleased with the power of the headphone amp:  half a watt into 32 ohm, unbalanced, nicely drives my HiFiMan HE-500's, which could not be driven to advantage by the UD-501's much lower power. Note that the balanced mode, which produces more wattage, surprisingly utilizes both TRS inputs and I have never seen cans or aftermarket cables with that dual termination.

More to come in a week or so...'still playing around with filters and other settings which are not really explained in the manual which explains how but not why to use a given setting.

Looking forward to reading your impressions. Thanks for posting.

Oct 25, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #52 of 572
Hello,

Hows it going with your new UD-503? Have you had a chance to compare it to UD-501? Also, have you used it in a preamp mode within main audio system with an amp?  Also any usage thru optical input? Thanks so much ... Regards :)

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #53 of 572

Hello,

Hows it going with your new UD-503? Have you had a chance to compare it to UD-501? Also, have you used it in a preamp mode within main audio system with an amp?  Also any usage thru optical input? Thanks so much ... Regards :)

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #54 of 572

My UD-503 is installed within my main audio system, which is based upon an OPPO BDP-83SE universal player, a Unision Unico SE hybrid integrated amp and Scansonic MB-1 monitor loudspeakers. The TEAC is not used as a pre-amp and I use coax rather than optical from the OPPO to the dac.

I sold my UD-501 so can't shoot the two TEAC's out, but my very early impression is that the new piece has a more euphonious, more analog-like sound than the old through the integrated/speakers. However, the 503 has six digital filters and several other settings to play with, and I've not yet figured out the optimum set-up.

As a headphone amp the 503 is rated 500mw into 32 ohm unbalanced compared to 100mw on the 501. I ignored the older unit in favor of a Ray Samuels SR-71; I'm using the new one and may move the Ray elsewhere. Oh...the TEAC's remote is great to have.

The 503 has greater upsampling capabilities, more headphone power and a remote control. I think that it will sound more musical to my ears, but it's way too early for a review.

'Hope this helps!

Oct 26, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #55 of 572

My UD-503 is installed within my main audio system, which is based upon an OPPO BDP-83SE universal player, a Unision Unico SE hybrid integrated amp and Scansonic MB-1 monitor loudspeakers. The TEAC is not used as a pre-amp and I use coax rather than optical from the OPPO to the dac.

I sold my UD-501 so can't shoot the two TEAC's out, but my very early impression is that the new piece has a more euphonious, more analog-like sound than the old through the integrated/speakers. However, the 503 has six digital filters and several other settings to play with, and I've not yet figured out the optimum set-up.

As a headphone amp the 503 is rated 500mw into 32 ohm unbalanced compared to 100mw on the 501. I ignored the older unit in favor of a Ray Samuels SR-71; I'm using the new one and may move the Ray elsewhere. Oh...the TEAC's remote is great to have.

The 503 has greater upsampling capabilities, more headphone power and a remote control. I think that it will sound more musical to my ears, but it's way too early for a review.

'Hope this helps!

THANKS SO MUCH for your reply! You have a pretty great set up ! Scansonic speakers are great, and rare on our shores ! I currently already own UD-501, and thinking of getting the UD-503, but would be using its preamp capacity as I run my DACs straight into the amp and using Itunes and Airfoil as software volume control  and with high quality glass optical thru AppleTv/Airport Express... Were you impressed  by the UD -503 outside of the law of diminishing return that is typical in same product  line? The Ud-501 is somewhat lush  already in couple of my system set ups,  but somewhat 2 dimensional compared to my other DAC (old Goldmund Meta Research) so do you think it ll be a noticeable upgrade ? Do you find it 3 d ? Also they are not available for purchase, as early batches had firmware issues that you have described, and no one knows when they finally going to be imported en masse, otherwise I'd gotten one already ....Thanks so much!!!! Regards

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #60 of 572

Got mine this afternoon.... Will update after 200 hours break in....

Great...'eager to hear your thoughts and, especially, the optimum settings you utilize.

FYI re cans: Using the TEAC UD-503 as a 700mw balanced headphone amp requires balanced cans terminated with double TRS 1/4 inch connectors. A new cable manufacturer, Surf Cables, in San Diego, makes similar wires at a very competative price for balanced Pono use (that were mentioned in Stereophile's laudatory review of that player.) I asked Surf to assemble a set for '503 use and they arrived the other day. Early on, my HIiFiMan HE-500's are more revealing in balanced mode than in unbalanced, and if you're otherwise satisfied with the new dac after burn-in you may wish to consider going balanced.

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back