Teac UD 503 DAC (2015 New Release, DXD, DSD256)
Mar 16, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #166 of 572
have no idea. i hear it is pretty good though. i do not use any dac for it's headphone amp. perhaps i am not aware of how good they have become i don't know. my feeling is a high end dedicated amp is going to be much better than any dac. i could be wrong in that thinking i admt. i have never used the headphone amp in any dac. not even once. i do undrstand you are getting a dac/sort of preamp and balanced headphone amp for a reasonable price. that could be a lot of peoples price point for all three of those things. in that regard it may be just the ticket. especially offering balanced. i just happen to like these teac dacs, as dacs. i feel my headphone amps are probably better. i can't be sure since i have not tried it. although at many times the price of the whole teac and weighing much more that is just my guess. this could be a complete oversight on my part. i could end up very surprised i suppose. just as they surprised me as a dac for the price. well, anyways as of right now i cannot answer that question(short answer).

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #168 of 572
My UD-503 will arrive tomorrow :)

Last two days I have been listning to my Asus E1(no dsd upgrade yet, and modded with Passive I/V) and the cheap Muse NOS with 4xTDA1543 (modded with smaller I/V resistor and bias resistor) and my Kenwood KD-990 turntable with 2M Black, on Kenwood L1000C as Riaa, and Electrocompaniet ECI-4mk2 as power amplifier, on my own 3way ScanSpeak/Peerless HD loudspeaker construction. I been listning to Eric Clapton "461 ocean boulevard" wich i have in both 44.1k, and 64DSD and on original vinyl from 1974

I got my SB Touch to run DSF files, and it should be ready to do DoF to my Teac UD-503.
It works great to my Asus in DSD-to-PCM @176.4kHz and on the Muse it sound very similar to the Vinyl
The E1 is not far behind in sound quality in my mind. But im really looking forward to do listning test on the UD-503 and hold it up against my DAC collection :) I also have an Eval board on Analog device -AD1955 with ad797 opamps. I will also give this a try in my future comparison to the UD-503 :smile:

Cheers
Flemming

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #169 of 572
Don't forget to provide your thoughts on the headphone amp as well.

Good luck. And I know you can't wait to get it. I'm really enjoying mine, especially when coupled with my Sennheiser HD700 headphones.

Mar 22, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #170 of 572

I also intend to try out the headphone amp as well :) I also happen to have a pair of HD-700, but only the single-ended original cable, so won't be able to test all the headphone modes.
I would be fairly easy to build my own balanced cables... :blush:

I really hope the AKM DAC sounds "analog" and that there is something to gain by upsampling 44k1 to DSD256

Cheers
Flemmin Bach

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #171 of 572
I also intend to try out the headphone amp as well
smily_headphones1.gif
I also happen to have a pair of HD-700, but only the single-ended original cable, so won't be able to test all the headphone modes.

Yeah, I should have looked into building my own balanced cable, but instead paid to have one made. With that I posted my comments here

Anyway I'm interested to hear what others have to say about the head amp of UD-503, especially interested in yours seeing you also have the HD700's, even in stereo mode.

Thanks. 

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #172 of 572
building cables is very easy. to me at least. problem is sourcing the materials. i do not use head amps in any dac so i would not know. i figure good dedicated amp is always better. plus like sr009 cannot even use that. only headphones that are not put away now but still do not listen to them anymore. just loudspeakers. no headphones can approach high end loudspeakers imo.

Mar 24, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #173 of 572
  building cables is very easy. to me at least. problem is sourcing the materials. i do not use head amps in any dac so i would not know. i figure good dedicated amp is always better. plus like sr009 cannot even use that. only headphones that are not put away now but still do not listen to them anymore. just loudspeakers. no headphones can approach high end loudspeakers imo.

You already answered my question about the head amp. I was asking FlemmingBach about his experience.  We get it... you only do the finest of separate head amps. Cool.  As for building cables, no it isn't rocket science. It's simply a matter of doing it.

Thanks.

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #174 of 572
Sooooo....... Anyone know of a good CD player to pair with this 503-DAC?

I looked at the Teac PD-501HR but I feel it may be a bit over priced for it's age and what you get.

I'm not looking to do any recording, just play my audiophile CD's. I've a few Blu-Spec, SHM, 24-bit CD's, JVC XRCD's, as well as some HDCD's and other "audiophile" CDs. I'm looking for a player that get's the best of those CD's... without breaking the bank!!!  I'd put the $$$ range between 4-8 hundred bucks. Would like to try and match the small size of the 503 as this will be sitting on my desk. 

I'm actually one prefers CD's over downloaded music as I also collect so a CD player is definitely an important part of my life. Yes, I have a Rotel CD player that also does HDCD's but that's my home system vs. my desktop system. I'm looking to add to the desktop. 

Any suggestions of where to look or start?

Thanks.

Mar 30, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #178 of 572
Hi
I'd like to ask you about comparison between TEAC UD-503 vs NAD M51.
I'm currently having m51 driving directly Plinius SA-103 power amp without any other preamp.
And thinking of something better. 
Is TEAC UD-503 good upgrade over m51?

Thanks
Roger

Mar 30, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #179 of 572
@roger7

I'm not sure who your post was directed at but if you want to ask a specific person a question you can use the @ symbol followed by the name as used above, or quote the post using the quote symbol (,,)  in the editor.

With that, I myself have no idea about the NAD M51 and have never looked at it so I can't comment on it's performance compared to the UD-503.  All I can do is look at the specs and point out what features a unit has vs. what one doesn't have. That's basically it. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back