Teac Reference Line UD-501 USB DAC "DSD"
May 12, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #46 of 550
Well, I decided that I would like to get a pair of the HD650's so I picked up a used Schiit Lyr. Still have not purchased any headphones but when I do I will do a comparison of the teac headphone output compared to that with the headphones being driven by the Lyr. Of course, I expect that in the sheer power department the Teac will fall flat on its face with 100mw into 32ohms vs 6 watts into 32 ohms but, sheer power is not everything.

May 16, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #47 of 550
For what it's worth, I really enjoyed my Teac UD501 as an introduction to DSD.  Filter-wise, there is a volume difference between DSD and PCM.  The DSD filter I liked best was #2, and for PCM, I found that I really liked the filter (for PCM) off or on "Sharp."

If anyone is interested, this guy posted some good, objective impressions of the product here with some measurements:

http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/05/initial-impressions-teac-ud-501-usb-dac.html
http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/05/measurements-teac-ud-501-pcm-performance.html
http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/05/measurements-teac-ud-501-dsd-performance.html

Also, I'd be remiss in helping you guys save money if I didn't mention this: I bought mine from Ron at www.liquidhifi.com and got a much better price than other retailers.  If you're interested in this unit, do yourself a favor and shoot him an email for a quote before you pay the prices you're seeing online - ronaldbuffington@msn.com

May 17, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #48 of 550
Thanks for the info, interesting read. Though I haven't tried it yet, I'm quite surprised this device isn't getting more attention around here. Maybe it's the TEAC brand name.

Not experienced in reading these, but I found some other measurements someone made on another forum:

May 18, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #49 of 550
 Well I have just returned an oppo bdp 105 because I had hum issues whenever I hooked up a rca interconnect to any of its audio outputs be they audio or video.I was checking out the mytek when i came across the teac ud 501 dsd dac.I read a couple of reviews of it including the one in head fi and decided to take a chance on it.Teac has a sale on with free shipping thru 05/19/2013 at their online store site.So I just ordered one today.They have a 30 day free trial period so the risk is minimal having to pay for the return shipping.The unit certainly looks impressive in its build quality and appearance.I ordered one in silver which is my preferred choice if given the option.I wish my preamp had balanced inputs but unfortunately it does not.But based on the muse op amps and power supply the unit looks to be a worthwhile upgrade from the internal dacs contained in both my cd players.The option of beeing able to choose between upsampling and no upsampling is a nice feature.Though comments in one of the reviews suggested that upsampling is the preferred choice for standard red book cds.
  I plan to run it in as much as I possibly can before the 30 day trial period has expired in case I have to return it.I will be making observations about the break in process and try to form an opinion of it before the trial period is over if I feel the need to return the unit.
  I probably will at least try a upgraded power cord at least in my trial period.I am looking forward to hearing it and am hoping it is a keeper.A friend of mine has a mytek which I have yet to hear other than only briefly at the axpona show in march.It did sound promising but at almost $1600 it is a bit steep though it does offer preamp capability if you choose that option when you order it.
  I will try the headphone section but really I really am not looking to use that feature because I have a couple of dedicated headphone amps that I am sure are much better suited for that task.I am more interested in the dac peformance than anything else that it features.

May 19, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #50 of 550
Quote:
For what it's worth, I really enjoyed my Teac UD501 as an introduction to DSD.  Filter-wise, there is a volume difference between DSD and PCM.  The DSD filter I liked best was #2, and for PCM, I found that I really liked the filter (for PCM) off or on "Sharp."

If anyone is interested, this guy posted some good, objective impressions of the product here with some measurements:

http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/05/initial-impressions-teac-ud-501-usb-dac.html
http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/05/measurements-teac-ud-501-pcm-performance.html
http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2013/05/measurements-teac-ud-501-dsd-performance.html

Also, I'd be remiss in helping you guys save money if I didn't mention this: I bought mine from Ron at www.liquidhifi.com and got a much better price than other retailers.  If you're interested in this unit, do yourself a favor and shoot him an email for a quote before you pay the prices you're seeing online - ronaldbuffington@msn.com

Unless he's quoting you different price, I would not call it "much" better then others.

May 19, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #52 of 550
I received my UD-501  a few days ago, So far I am very pleased with it. I think the build quality is outstanding and sound quality is also exceptional. It did take a little bit of tinkering with foobar and using different settings to get it to play all of the different high res files but I think most of that was mistake on my part since there is not really a true how to guide that I have seen to make this particular product work with foobar. It was no fault of the teac unit. Their provided music player work fine out of the box.

First listen was through some HD280 plugged directly into the headphone output. It really brought those headphones back to life with some serious oomph compared to my computer output. I have been listening through it the past couple days with HD650 plugged into its headphone output and quite honestly I do not think it has any difficulty driving these phones. I have not yet had to turn it up past -20db. However, I do not listen to classical music. That said,  When I was playing some DSD tracks which were classical I can see how you could run out of volume with these headphones. I have a Schiit Lyr lost is the mail somewhere but when (if?) it finally gets here I will be using that to power the headphones and perhaps it will reveal that they can do much more with the extra power. time will tell. But so far if I had not already bought the amp I could be perfectly happy with just using this teac to power the HD650s

One thing I will note is that if you have the DAC turned on before you boot up your computer it might cause issues. My older windows XP machine did not like it at all when I restarted and the DAC was powered on. It refused to even initialize the BIOS

May 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #53 of 550
I really hope that build in amp will work well with my current cans(HE-400&D600+ possibly PS500). In that case it might be a keeper, but i don't think i can justify having it just as DAC(DSD or not) only.

May 25, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #54 of 550
Quote:
Thanks for the info, interesting read. Though I haven't tried it yet, I'm quite surprised this device isn't getting more attention around here. Maybe it's the TEAC brand name.

Not experienced in reading these, but I found some other measurements someone made on another forum:

Thanks for posting these results Eraser!  The Lynx Hilo is a much better ADC than the E-MU I used so these results looks fantastic.

Nice to see confirmation for that frequency response & noise level change with the digital filter OFF - same thing I found and correlates with the "NOS" nature with this setting...

May 30, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #55 of 550
 Well it is now 11 days and still no word from teac about my dac or amp.The receipt states I believe that my credit card would be charged on the date I placed the order.That seems to me a unwise business practice.Usually a merchant does not charge your credit card until it is shipped.I think if that is the case teac needs to address this issue in the near future.In any case I hope they ship my units asap so I have sufficient time to make a judgement about the units performance before the thirty day free trial period is over.

May 30, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #56 of 550
Quote:
 Well it is now 11 days and still no word from teac about my dac or amp.The receipt states I believe that my credit card would be charged on the date I placed the order.That seems to me a unwise business practice.Usually a merchant does not charge your credit card until it is shipped.I think if that is the case teac needs to address this issue in the near future.In any case I hope they ship my units asap so I have sufficient time to make a judgement about the units performance before the thirty day free trial period is over.

I'm sure you could get them to start your thirty day trial from the date of delivery. Ask nicely and you will be surprised how willing to please most well run organizations are. Hope it reaches you soon.

May 30, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #57 of 550
Quote:
I received my UD-501  a few days ago, So far I am very pleased with it. I think the build quality is outstanding and sound quality is also exceptional. It did take a little bit of tinkering with foobar and using different settings to get it to play all of the different high res files but I think most of that was mistake on my part since there is not really a true how to guide that I have seen to make this particular product work with foobar. It was no fault of the teac unit. Their provided music player work fine out of the box.

First listen was through some HD280 plugged directly into the headphone output. It really brought those headphones back to life with some serious oomph compared to my computer output. I have been listening through it the past couple days with HD650 plugged into its headphone output and quite honestly I do not think it has any difficulty driving these phones. I have not yet had to turn it up past -20db. However, I do not listen to classical music. That said,  When I was playing some DSD tracks which were classical I can see how you could run out of volume with these headphones. I have a Schiit Lyr lost is the mail somewhere but when (if?) it finally gets here I will be using that to power the headphones and perhaps it will reveal that they can do much more with the extra power. time will tell. But so far if I had not already bought the amp I could be perfectly happy with just using this teac to power the HD650s

One thing I will note is that if you have the DAC turned on before you boot up your computer it might cause issues. My older windows XP machine did not like it at all when I restarted and the DAC was powered on. It refused to even initialize the BIOS

How are you liking the 650s brother? I sold my 650s to Haoleb and just want to see how my babies are doing. Miss them, but glad they are living in an exotic place (hell I can't afford to go to Hawaii, yet my headphones can, WTH?).

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #58 of 550
Quote:

How are you liking the 650s brother? I sold my 650s to Haoleb and just want to see how my babies are doing. Miss them, but glad they are living in an exotic place (hell I can't afford to go to Hawaii, yet my headphones can, WTH?).

I do really like them. Putting them on is like sitting down in a la-z-boy they are definitely more comfortable than any other phones I have by a large margin! I have since also received the Lyr and they certainly have more headroom plugged into that amp instead of the teac's headphone output, they also sound overall more lively and controlled I hate audiophile terms but certainly less "veiled", which when you look at the specs of each is to be expected I think. That said, if I had not heard an amp or could not afford the seperate amp the teac's onboard headphone would satisfy I think..for a while.. It is not a complete write off. But if you had hard to drive phones such as the 650's ...get a headphone amp eventually :wink:

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #59 of 550
If you want to hear hard to drive, try the DT880 600ohm. I loved mine, but even with my Auditor being fed 4.1V output from my CD player I usually had the volume at 2-3 oclock, sometimes almost full volume! And my hearing is still quite good so they are just difficult to drive. In contrast, your 650s never made it past 12 oclock. Nice to hear my babies are being appreciated, give them a hug for me.

Jun 8, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #60 of 550
Well I have this for second week now and it's quite fantastic piece of gear for the money! Biggest surprise-decent build in amp. Drives HE-400 nicely. Quality DSD recording in native mode is something else. Regular PCM files are not too shabby either. Seriously considering keeping it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back