Teac Reference Line UD-501 USB DAC "DSD"
Apr 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #31 of 550
I've been listening to mine for a few weeks now

Came from a Bryston BDA-1 which was fed by an audiophilleo 2

I don't do much listening on headphones anymore so my experience is on my home audio system (as seen on my sig).

Compared to the bryston, the Teac is much more dynamic, lively and musical. The bryston was more "dark" (laid back in the mids).
A lot of this may be due to component matching but I'm much happier with the Teac with my system even though it is a much cheaper dac.

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #32 of 550

I don't do much listening on headphones anymore so my experience is on my home audio system (as seen on my sig).

Compared to the bryston, the Teac is much more dynamic, lively and musical. The bryston was more "dark" (laid back in the mids).
A lot of this may be due to component matching but I'm much happier with the Teac with my system even though it is a much cheaper dac.

Are you feeding the Teac with the audiophilleo 2?

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #33 of 550

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #34 of 550
Quote:
Yeah that could be true, but I do find this DAC suprisingly dynamic and very true to source.

I second that too, Brunk. I would be happy with the Amp in the Teac, but the Bryston was around and the HD 800 sounds so much better balanced. I am looking around for an Audeze LCD 2 which I seem to have read somewhere that works well with it.

I've been downloading DSD versions of music that I had on High res, and I find that the the HR versions initially sound clearer and better spaced, but the DSD versions sound righter, with better flow. Imagine an spiky curve versus a smooth one of the same impulse.

I wonder if it does sound as good as the Mytek,(at least with DSD) as Valenroy says. Anyone with a Mytek in the L.A. area up for a comparison?

Oh, and I got to compare it with the Mydac, which I had lying around, and there is no doubt that they both sound right in their own ways, but the edge goes to the Teac for the warmth from the Muses. Its double the price of the Mydac, of course, with the built in amp and DSD, which is a biggie.

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #35 of 550
Quote:
I second that too, Brunk. I would be happy with the Amp in the Teac, but the Bryston was around and the HD 800 sounds so much better balanced. I am looking around for an Audeze LCD 2 which I seem to have read somewhere that works well with it.

I've been downloading DSD versions of music that I had on High res, and I find that the the HR versions initially sound clearer and better spaced, but the DSD versions sound righter, with better flow. Imagine an spiky curve versus a smooth one of the same impulse.

I wonder if it does sound as good as the Mytek,(at least with DSD) as Valenroy says. Anyone with a Mytek in the L.A. area up for a comparison?

Oh, and I got to compare it with the Mydac, which I had lying around, and there is no doubt that they both sound right in their own ways, but the edge goes to the Teac for the warmth from the Muses. Its double the price of the Mydac, of course, with the built in amp and DSD, which is a biggie.

Well, I have done some major listening comparisons to between the Yulong D18 and the Teac. Overall, the D18 won in SQ by a clear margin, but I would still be satisfied with the Teac. The only downside is the D18 isnt DSD capable, but when 99% of my music is NOT DSD, i have to prioritize. Plus, I still have some nice Oppo players that have DSD playback.

Apr 8, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #36 of 550
Quote:

nope. just directly via usb.

didn't want too many sources to change the sound.

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #37 of 550
Quote:
Well, I have done some major listening comparisons to between the Yulong D18 and the Teac. Overall, the D18 won in SQ by a clear margin, but I would still be satisfied with the Teac. The only downside is the D18 isnt DSD capable, but when 99% of my music is NOT DSD, i have to prioritize. Plus, I still have some nice Oppo players that have DSD playback.

One more reason to keep my D18!
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #39 of 550
Apr 26, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #40 of 550
Hey Teac UD-501 owners, I'm researching a new DAC for my main setup. I just learned of this DAC tonight and I've seen mostly positive reviews. I notice it has been described as warm though and I am curious is that warm as in bad or warm as in good? I already am using a fully tube amp and I would like some degree of precision, and mostly for it to stay out of the amp's way. Everything else about the 501 sounds great to me (on paper at least.)

May 2, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #42 of 550
Quote:

Can you elaborate a little on how the D18 is superior? Been looking at the TEAC for the price, but the new Yulong DA8 pretty much negates any DSD advantage that the TEAC had (though at a $400 premium).

May 10, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #43 of 550
I purchased this Teac DAC and it will arrive next week. Right now my current audio situation is that all of my 2 channel system is in storage 5000 miles away where it will remain for another year, I am currently listening to music with some HD280's driven by the integrated sound on my computer motherboard... So overall nothing spectacular.

In storage I have an MSB Dual Digital Processor which is from the late 90's and I got for free that I was using as a DAC but rather than buy a good soundcard for my aging computer I decided to just go ahead and upgrade to a good DAC that had a headphone output I can use until I get my main system back up and then become my primary source once it is up and running.. So anyway.. Back story out of the way I bought the Teac after looking at the Asus Essence One and Dac Magic for months but never did pull the trigger. Also considered the Schiit Gungnir with USB but it does not have a headphone output so even if it is made in USA it gets a strike against it. The Teac just sold me on its features and design... I am very fond of a dual mono design even if it does not make much sense for me in something such as a DAC, At least as far as power supply is concerned.

Now that I have what I can only assume will be awesome DAC on the way, I am starting to think that these HD280's might not be up to snuff. I am Considering the HD600 and more-so the HD650. But Will I be happy with a headphone like that driven by this Teac's headphone output? is 100mw/ch going to cut it?

May 11, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #45 of 550
If it works with D2000, it should with HE-400. Can't wait to try(Teac)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back