Tea-Fi?
May 9, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #166 of 750
Lupicia Gyokuro From Yame's Hoshino Village is the best tea I've ever had (except for the Zen Master making matcha to say goodbye).

Fukuoka makes the best Gyokuro and it is DEFINITELY Tea-Fi.

I'll let you read the tea-nerds talking about special preparation, but I don't drink it that way.  I make it the standard way for the most balanced but buttery and non-stringent green tea I could imagine existing.

When I am back in Japan I may seek out a specialty shop to find other Gyokuros to bring back but this one is good and they take it off the shelves after one year because it is best consumed soon.  If you have a relationship with your local Lupicia (if there is one), you may be able to work out getting some half-price before they pull it.  (Or- if you buy so many teas that they perk up when you enter the shop, they may sneak back and get you some of it a week after they pulled it and give it to you free...that's how I was spoiled.) 

Why is it so expensive?  One small area of land produces the best and they literally build a shade tent over the plants the last two weeks before harvest to reduce contact to the leaves and pick the tenderest ones.  There used to be crazy YouTube videos of them building the tents out of bamboo.

Wicked. Good.  Try it next to a good Sencha and you will see the difference.  No RMAA chart necessary.

May 9, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #167 of 750

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BUMP

I would like some recommendations on some rooibos tea if anyone knows anything about it.

Also if anyone is thinking of buying from adagio teas (adagio.com), I can give out free $5 gift certificates for new members. PM me with your email if youre interested. They have a great starter kit (teapot + 5 sample tea tins) for $20.

I've been drinking this:

http://www.enjoyingtea.com/orcaro.html

And it's about the best rooibos I've had.

IMHO if it has to be flavored with vanilla or rosemary or whatever the new hot blend is, it's crappy rooibos. And I've certainly had crappy stale rooibos brewed straight.

btw, it should be brewed with very hot water (full boil, no waiting), for longer than you'd brew regular tea.

I recommend paying attention to the roast.  Lupicia has had it unroasted and roasted.  I have found the roasting to vary.  Unroasted, Rooibos is light green.  Roasted, it can appear cocoa colored or darker like chewing tobacco or the discarded hulls of cacao nibs that people place in their gardens.  I prefer a lighter roast.  Just like coffees, totally different range of flavors can be presented.  Enjoy.  

May 9, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #168 of 750
Sorry, let me edit my last post- not like coffee, I meant that the roast will vary the flavor but the range of flavors is nowhere near the width and breadth of coffee.

I've had coffee that absolutely smelled like buttered blueberry muffins (Yrgecheff), etc.  I am still blown away by the range of coffee.

But I do like nicely roasted Rooibos.  Special aroma.

May 11, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #171 of 750
In Albanian, "çaj" is tea.  It's pronounced "Chai" also.

And speaking of which, I'm having some tea right now.  It's just the easy Lipton tea bag type tea.  Bad throat :frowning2:

May 11, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #172 of 750
ahh return of tea-fi.

having a cup of assam estate from wegmans (a supermarket chain in upstate ny/elsewhere) very very nice. and I'm in awe of zuerst's collection of little adagio tea sample tins

May 11, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #173 of 750
I drink ice tea (sweet tea) a lot. Lately I actually haven't been drinking any, but I usually do drink some every day. I also like having a cup or two of some hot tea in the morning and before bed.

May 11, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #174 of 750
What does everyone use to make tea? I've been thinking about getting this:

Adagio IngenuiTEA. It got some pretty good reviews. Anyone use this before or have other recommendations? I don't need anything big and prefer something small and don't need it to be portable.

May 12, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #175 of 750

Quote:

Adagio IngenuiTEA. It got some pretty good reviews. Anyone use this before or have other recommendations? I don't need anything big and prefer something small and don't need it to be portable.

I have something almost identical from Teavana. It works so great! It is so convenient and there is no mess or fuss. I recommend it.

May 12, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #177 of 750
The IngenuiTEA is nice and convenient but I don't like the idea of brewing tea in a plastic container.. although I have recommended them before.

Personally I think Gaiwan are best unless the tea has a lot of fine particles. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaiwan

May 12, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #178 of 750
I actually had 2 of those Chinese tea bowls that I got as gifts. One was part of a set (came with small cups) and white with pretty, blue hand-painted designs on it. The other was a plain white one. But, the base cracked on one and the lid cracked on the second. So, now I'm looking for something that will last me a little longer. They looked cute and made some great tea while I had them though.

May 14, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #179 of 750

Quote:

Use it almost every day. The filter gets stained if you use black tea everyday (like I do) but can be cleaned or replaced. Recommended :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back